Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

3-5-2?

Totally ignoring our general philosophy so far, how do people feel about what is technically 5 at the back (2 wingbacks) but two up front?
In theory we''d be completely sacrificing possession for the opportunity to counter quickly and in numbers.
Not saying it''s a solution but it''s an alternative to what we''re doing at the moment. In my opinion the strongest area of the pitch for us is midfield - but the players being selected simply aren''t showing it and we''re giving the ball away far too frequently to rely on our midfield for linking play at the moment. At least with wingbacks we can push up with them and probably play a more direct style of play.

No.

If we go back to the start of the season, the way we were playing, we will stay up. All Neil has to do is restore Brady and Redmond to their real positions, get Wisdom and Olsson back in their best positions. Expierence back in goal with Ruddy, Tettey and O''Neil controlling the tempo. we will win games playing with this lineup.

I''d been hoping after the man city away game that we might play 3 at the back more often. The 3 cbs would give us more protection through the middle, and still be able to play two up front with Wes in the no. 10 role. With 2 wing backs we wouldn''t lose out on any width to what we currently have as all our wide players seem to be told to tuck inside anyway.

352, 433,  442..there are many options that could be tried other than 1 up front but yup, Alex has kept 1 up front for 25 games, and he cant change, just like Hughton and his system. As for going back to earlier and the first few games, its a delusion, we could not get enough points now to stay up playing that style, after the Southampton win we had enough games  left to try that but its past now, the 5 losses have effectively put paid to that idea.

It''s not the formation that''s the issue and really isn''t as black and White as that. My feelings are that it would make no difference, may even make things worse

Quite like this, Pinto/Jarvis RWB, Brady LWB, Tettey, Wes, Howson in the middle, Naismith & Mbokani/Bamford/Jerome up top.

The more I think about it the more it fits the options we have. Might be fun.

One problem i foresee with 3 at the back is the intelligence of our CBs.

I dont think any of them have the positional awareness to play as a sweeper or ability to pick up runners.

Cant imagine the scene of Bassong trying to organise a back 3 with the likes of Vardy running at him for example. Unfortunately a flat back four is pretty much the only option otherwise you are giving strikers a free pass to run in behind.

Whether it''s 3 centre backs or 2, we need the defence to take a higher line and hold it.  If we get any deeper, we will have our midfield on our own 18 yard box.
Of course that comes with risk, but we need to win games now.

I think the current squad could be moulded into a wing-back or sweeper formation but it would need rigorous drilling on the training pitch.

If a sweeper formation, Russell Martin is the most likely candidate. If 3 centre-backs, injury/suspension/red cards etc. leave things very thin. What about:

Rudd(y)

Klose Bennett Bassong

RWB(?) Brady

Tettey Howson

Hoolahan

Naismith Bamford

Take your pick for the right-back position. Even though Pinto looks like a wing-back, I think Wisdom shows the most balance between attack and defence and should be tried again. Also the above team looks a bit lightweight across the midfield but perhaps that''s the payoff for extra security around our own box. Also, how could Redmond be installed in this kind of formation? This team lacks pace.

A sweeper formation is another possibility, assisting Tettey in minding the house when the likes of Wisdom/Brady/Howson/Olsson/O''Neil support the attackers. Something like:

Rudd(y)

Martin

Bennett Klose Bassong

Tettey Howson

Redmond Brady

Wes/Naismith

Bamford/Jerome/Mbokani

The lack of an orthodox full-back would put huge pressure on Martin, Tettey & Brady when not in possession to cover, track players and judge correct positioning. I can''t see this kind of formation being drilled in mid-season or being employed away from home in the position we find ourselves currently but it could be interesting.

It''s also difficult to find starting spots for Wes, Naismith & Redmond in the same team, particularly with 5 at the back. Could Brady be given a more central role in the team?

5 at the back probably won''t happen but the last month indicates that a different set-up/approach is required