Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Keep your knickers on.

Dearie, dearie me Lakey.Still, I suspect you knew exactly the reaction you were going to get.

Lakey''s right though.  The important thing here is that we do keep our knickers on and don''t get our hair in a twist.  
We would do well to remember that you can lead a horse to broth but if the water is spoiled by too many cooks then the proof of the pudding will be in the relegation dogfight.
A stitch in time saves the bird in the hand, while a fool and his haystack are soon parted.
What I''m saying is, beating West Ham could relegate us.

[quote user="JF"]Keep your knickers on!!? Lol, what an epic failure this post is. Maybe don''t get your knickers in a twist?

Anyone that isn''t concerned after the recent performances either doesn''t understand football or doesn''t care. Conceding to 2 or 3 goals every match results in only one possible outcome, relegation. I suggest the team and management pull those knickers back up and stop putting out to every team that shows up, maybe make the opposition work for it and wait till the 3rd date![/quote]

Lol.  Keep your knickers on was what I meant.  Nothing to do with about "not understanding" or "not caring" either.    Getting upset because we lose or are on a bad run is understandable and we all feel diappointed after recent results and particularly yesterday.   Apart from that though, there is only one thing we can hope for imo - that AN digs even deeper to get the players performing well - and that the players stand up and be counted. Calling for the manager to be sacked is ludicrous and those that are losing their knickers need to calm down.  Did Burnley throw away their manager after last season??  A good young manager??  No.  AN in my mind has earned respect for his exploits last season - and to develop into the great manager he could be, he needs time, he needs patience - AND HE NEEDS SUPPORT.

I think someone''s attention klaxxon just went off.Still, maybe we have got it all wrong, maybe a patronising lecture is exactly what we all need right now.

[quote user="canary_1902"]Do be quiet LDC you troll.I''ve been to all but 4 away league games this season - Liverpool, Stoke, Man City and Southampton should you have been wondering- and i simply cant agree that the fans are in anyway to blame for this "form".Yes, I agree it was always to be difficult this season but FFS- you cannot blame the fans![/quote]

I haven''t blamed the fans as a whole for anything.  All I am saying on this thread is that those that are calling for AN''s head are misguided.  The fans as a whole can help though, by realising that the mutterings of a few people calling for the manager''s head are just that - mutterings - and that any "AN out" bandwagon has to be resisted, for the good of our club.  We may get relegated under him or we may fight our way to enough points thos season. Whatever - our best chance of long term success is to get a quality manager and stick with him so development can happen.  We have that manager.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Lol.  Keep your knickers on was what I meant.[/quote]Or perhaps "Get behind the boys" Lakey. [:D]

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/04/f3/f2/04f3f26d87c94d17abcc69f811df7851.jpg

[quote user="lappinitup"]Or perhaps "Get behind the boys" Lakey. [:D]https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/04/f3/f2/04f3f26d87c94d17abcc69f811df7851.jpg[/quote]

Thanks for sharing your one of your photo collection.  Are they related to you, or is it that you like collecting photos with men wearing knickers. [:^)]

I totally agree with your point ldc it''s just the wording that''s amusing, especially given the teams recent bend over and take it displays!

[quote user="JF"]I totally agree with your point ldc it''s just the wording that''s amusing, especially given the teams recent bend over and take it displays![/quote] [H]  I wasn''t shouting at you in that post, btw, just letting off steam!

It''s funny, isn''t it? It was only a few games ago that people were still singing Alex Neil''s praises, saying how he deserved time and support and was a long-term investment for the club.

Then we go on a run of a few losses, including a pretty painful loss to Villa, and now almost everyone on the board is calling for his head!

What happened to Sir Alex Neil? What happened to our hero manager who saved our season in the championship and galvanised our club? When did he suddenly turn in to Chris Hughton??

All managers go through a period of shit. It happens, for whatever reason, and it''s whether they''re ultimately able to get out of it that represents the making of the man. Doesn''t Alex deserve our support now in these troubled times? He''s given us so much and never really had a period of crisis to deal with before. Well now he has, and its his job to get through it. The least he deserves is our support.

We may go down this season, but if we stick with Alex at least we''ll have a manager who can get us back up. A young, charismatic manager who''s only going to improve with time.

Bleh. Whatever guys. You wanna sulk and wallow in our misery then be my guest. We may go down, but we still have a lot of crucial games before the end of the season to turn things around. I''ll be supporting our manager and I still believe in him. It''s the least he deserves.

[quote user="Crystal Canary"]It''s funny, isn''t it? It was only a few games ago that people were still singing Alex Neil''s praises, saying how he deserved time and support and was a long-term investment for the club.

Then we go on a run of a few losses, including a pretty painful loss to Villa, and now almost everyone on the board is calling for his head!

What happened to Sir Alex Neil? What happened to our hero manager who saved our season in the championship and galvanised our club? When did he suddenly turn in to Chris Hughton??

All managers go through a period of shit. It happens, for whatever reason, and it''s whether they''re ultimately able to get out of it that represents the making of the man. Doesn''t Alex deserve our support now in these troubled times? He''s given us so much and never really had a period of crisis to deal with before. Well now he has, and its his job to get through it. The least he deserves is our support.

We may go down this season, but if we stick with Alex at least we''ll have a manager who can get us back up. A young, charismatic manager who''s only going to improve with time.

Bleh. Whatever guys. You wanna sulk and wallow in our misery then be my guest. We may go down, but we still have a lot of crucial games before the end of the season to turn things around. I''ll be supporting our manager and I still believe in him. It''s the least he deserves.[/quote]

Well put. At least give the bloke a chance to galvanise the team. He''s not afraid to shuffle the pack to find the solution. Unlike Hughton''s definition of madness football. Everyone is writing us off but we will get through this.

If we sack a manager every time they go through a period of say 8 or so games without winning in this league, we will be changing manager every season because we are a bottom 5 or 6 club at the moment with the players to match.

The frustrating thing for me is knowing we have a pretty good squad of players who just aren''t producing good performances. Winning at Old Trafford seems like a long time ago now and we are now the whipping boys of the Premier League .

[quote user="lake district canary"]For me, this was like our WBA match in Hughton''s last match.  Everyone could see we had to win today, as against WBA, but we didn''t and the writing was on the wall as a result.[/quote]We played WBA at home, so I''d say the West Ham game is more similar to that one than yesterday''s.I''d actually be a lot more confident of us beating West Ham, and that''s coming from someone who predicted the correct score on here against Villa and suggested a Villa win to nil on the pups thread (@11/4).

Lakey you say AN just needs to dig deeper to get the players performing well...totally wrong! All Alex is doing is digging his own incompetent hole while the answer is right there on the surface!.....Just stop this season long trait of putting players in  unnatural positions, try ANY other dang formation other than one man upfront which hasnt worked in ages and stop and  drop yesterdays men who went thru this with Hughton and are to old to give us  pace and energy..the Martins, Bassongs, Hoolahans.Hughtonanny, you said about Alex shuffling cards...yea..he tries to shuffle them every time as if he was a card shark, but  instead hes just ends up with the cards in a messy pile all over the table. He tinkers every match, and yet every match  is same end result, players out of position, players being played who are yesterdays men, and the same stupid  set up, no matter if his philosophy is attack or defend or as now not really anything..the one man up front. Alex has only ever had one strategy in the Prem, after 25 games its getting worse, yet hes shown he has not the aptitude to change it.

Essayess is the only one talking sense on here ,,, how is Neil''s repetitive failure different to that of Hughton in its result ?

Play our best team and stop this nonsensical one up front ,, we don''t have Didier Drogba !

Leicester realised this and play two ,,, look how that worked out 😳

Having now seen extended highlights of yesterdays game it really was a disastrous performance. Villa were fairly clueless and in addition had several reserve youngsters. They were there for the taking and we had plenty of the ball but showed no cohesion nor quality going forward, and in particular no pace. In theory a more regular lineup, including Ollson, Redmond and Jerome should have done the job quite comfortably. That''s the benefit of hindsight, but at the moment we have no settled style of play or tactics on any part of the pitch. I hope I am proved wrong, but I think we have just wasted £20 million !!!

This is where an experienced manager has an edge, AN hasn''t had to face this tough part of management yet, motivate a failing squad, deal with 27,000 expectant fans and pressure from the board......West Ham isn''t a game he will be looking forward too.

My question to everyone is why do you think he can turn it round, what has he done to convince you he can, I don''t think he can but I hope he will.

But I still wouldn''t sack him as I never truly thought we would survive this year and this season would help AN to learn failings for when we come back up next time!

It''s not the sequence of bad results that is the problem, as someone said earlier, all teams in the bottom half of this league will go through that.

It''s the lack of spirit, the way heads are dropping when we go behind, the fact that the manager is urging the team forward and the players not having the confidence to respond that makes this a much more difficult scenario.

We''ve all seen this before, be it our team or others, where it becomes virtually impossible for the incumbent manager to turn it around. There is a widespread feeling among the fans that if we continue like this we will go down. That will turn into a downbeat atmosphere (in fact there is an argument to suggest it already has done if the Spurs game is anything to go by).

I don''t buy into this idea that AN will simply get us back up if we go down. There will be player departures to recoup the £20m we have just spent and it will be incredibly tough to do that with an aging team. There are many ex-premiership teams in the Championship who prove that!

IMO we have to do everything possible in an attempt to stay up this season and that unfortunately means replacing the manager to galvanize the group by instilling some confidence, guts and spirit. Oh and a settled back four would be good too.

Nigel Pearson for me (but I accept there may be others) as he epitomizes what we are missing at the moment. He could well fail but it gives us a better chance, otherwise it looks like the end of season could end in a wimper.

I''ll be there Saturday and will give the team my all, just as I have for the last 30 years. Hope springs eternal but you have to tilt the odds in your favour - whatever that takes.

Of course we''ll stick with it - by continuing to go to watch this sh!te - but why the feck shouldn''t we let our feelings be known? Do you think Watford''s success is solely down to the fact that their fans get behind the team or do you think the fact that their owners were prepared to invest in the team and bring in a quality manager has something to do with it?

Hairy, I get what you''re saying but there was no lack of spirit, heads dropping when we went behind or problems with the team having the confidence to go forward in the Liverpool game. And that was only a couple of weeks ago.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Fair enough Nutty, that''s a good point. I hope I''m just over reacting to the last couple of performances.[/quote]

I don''t think you are over reacting Hairy. Well certainly not from the Villa performance and some other such performances where we sat too deep. But I think the real over reaction came from the Liverpool performance which was one of our best performances of the season. Had we been more disciplined after Bassong''s goal we would all have had a completely different take on the game.

Ruthers was on here earlier in the season saying we needed to score at least 3 goals to win a game. He got slaughtered for it, rightfully in my opinion, because it wasn''t true. But we were unlikely to win a game 1-0 against anybody. But when we subsequently tightened up post Newcastle we lost our attacking potency as a result. The key for me is Russ at centre back. Neil Adams saw it and then Alex Neil saw it. It''s not really his defensive performance. It''s that he is brave and we hold a higher line. This in turn means are whole team is further up the pitch allowing for players like Wes to get the ball in areas where he can hurt the opposition. Bassong and Bennett were stronger defensively but always played deeper. That in turn takes the whole team further back and Players like Wes get the ball too far from goal to be so dangerous and the front player becomes isolated and frustrated. We still lost games. The defence let in less goals but we scored less. We still lost games by 2 or 3 goals though. But usually to nil. And if everything went right we may win 1-0. That is Hughtonesque which is not surprising because we defended really deep under him.

Bottom line for me is we are as good as we are. I''d much rather watch the team that played against Liverpool or even Newcastle than watch the team that played at Bournemouth and Villa. I was hoping Klose would be brave but so far that hasn''t been the case. If it doesn''t happen then as I''ve said before, I''d go with Martin, Bassong and Klose with Pinto and Brady as wing backs.

As has been stated it is not so much about the results it is about the performances- Over the last 5 games we''ve only really looked good for a 30 minute spell against Liverpool. We''ve had total no shows against two relegation rivals, a ridiculously poor collapse against Liverpool and we basically let Spurs do what they want against us.

The other major worry is that the problems that were there at the start of this season and even last season only appear to be getting worse- poor positioning in defence, lack of concentration leading to disastrous individual errors and a continued failure to defend set pieces. If you have these then add the fact we''ve got worse going forward as the season has progressed it all seems to be trending in the wrong direction.