Sign in to follow this  
unique

The stark reality of relegation

Norwich City''s instant return to the Premier League last season may well lull fans into the belief that were Norwich to be relegated this season, an instant return the following season is well within their capabilities.Recent history suggests otherwise.Of the six teams that have suffered relegation twice over the past ten years, only WBA are currently residing in the PL, and they are barely setting the world alight.Of more concern is the fact that, despite the safety net of parachute payments, only two of the fourteen teams that have been relegated in the past five seasons (QPR twice), only Norwich and West Ham are currently playing in the PL.Unfortunately, if Norwich were to be relegated, they would be bucking the positive recent trend which has meant that eight out of the fourteen teams promoted over the last five seasons (prior to last season), are firmly established in the PL. Hull and Burnley are making a decent effort towards promotion this season, which would leave Norwich in the illustrious company of Blackpool, Cardiff and QPR, as the small number of clubs who have failed to build on success.The only consolation? would be that Norwich players will be in little demand.Many will have two relegation''s on their CV and will never see the light of the PL again. The four West Ham and West Brom ''cast-offs'' will be of little interest to other clubs. Our foray into European markets will hopefully be at an end, where we must be the worst club when it comes to signing foreign players.An opportunity was missed in the summer when, if wages allowed, we didn''t take advantage of the league we were playing in. The outstanding players in the Championship should have been a priority, hungry and with plenty to prove. Sako, Antonio, Afobe, Demarai Gray (and Alli from League 1), were all stand-out players last season, and will prove themselves far more adept playing PL football than the majority of our flaky squad.Norwich''s instant return to the PL offered AN the belief that the squad he inherited were inherently worthy of the PL. Relegation, if it occurs, will unfortunately prove too late that a sizable chunk of the squad (Ruddy, Whittaker, Martin, Bassong, Olsson, Howson, Hoolahan, Redmond, Jerome) are simply not good enough to play consistently at the highest level.Judging by the January transfer window, Plan B is to build a team in the Championship around the youngsters such as the Murphy twins, Toffolo, Adams, Godfrey, Thompson, McGrandles and the like. At least it will  be refreshing to see ''hungry'' players wearing the Canary shirt once more.

Is that the league is much more fun, we''ll enjoy our football and will probably have an excellent shot at promotion again. History does not take into account the trend towards relegated teams having much larger budgets to work with than before, so the Hull and Burnley experience will IMO be more likely moving forwards.

I''m not convinced that we will be relegated, however I''m not going to worry too much about it if we do, life goes on, NCFC will go on too.

[quote user="unique"]Unfortunately, if Norwich were to be relegated, they would be bucking the positive recent trend which has meant that eight out of the fourteen teams promoted over the last five seasons (prior to last season), are firmly established in the PL.[/quote]
Please name the eight teams.
If your list includes Swansea, Sunderland and Bournemouth, I will cough up a lung laughing at your poor choice of selective statistics.

I agree with how difficult it is to return. I always have done. Which is why I think we did remarkably well to bounce straight back. A look at how others struggle  should be all the proof anyone needs. But then apparently we failed last year by just coming third and any old manager, or Lennon, would have walked away with the division. So all is not lost. Because if we are relegated we will have a better side than last season. Lennon will still be available. Job''s a goodun....

Seven.....

Leicester

Crystal Palace

Southampton

West Ham

Swansea

Newcastle

West Brom

I mistakenly included.........Norwich..........

If we gonna rely on players like Godfrey, Murphys, Toffolo & Thompson then we will fail (No disrepect).

The championship is a very hard league with alot of very experienced international players. Look at sides this year like Boro Derby Hull Burnley Sheff W Brighton etc they haven''t got the kids in.

There we are.  Newcastle and Swansea aren''t looking "firmly established" in the PL to me right now.  West Brom are always sweating come 35-36 games.  Leicester were a miracle survivor last season.  
Any team in the bottom twelve will always be scrapping to stay in the PL.  That''s the nature of this crappy league.

Swansea are in their fifth consecutive season, Newcastle are in their sixth consecutive season......

Compared to the number of clubs that have tasted Premier League football this past ten years, I would put both clubs into the category of ''firmly established''.

Leicester''s survival wasn''t a miracle last season - it was sheer guts, determination, desire, with no little skill.

Liverpool are in the bottom twelve - not exactly scrapping for survival......

If you''re going to try and contradict a post....don''t spout boll**cks...........

[quote user="unique"]Swansea are in their fifth consecutive season, Newcastle are in their sixth consecutive season......

Compared to the number of clubs that have tasted Premier League football this past ten years, I would put both clubs into the category of ''firmly established''.

Leicester''s survival wasn''t a miracle last season - it was sheer guts, determination, desire, with no little skill.

Liverpool are in the bottom twelve - not exactly scrapping for survival......

If you''re going to try and contradict a post....don''t spout boll**cks...........[/quote]
I''m judging by this season.  Every season the bottom ten-twelve clubs are scrapping for survival.  No club in that bottom twelve are ever truly "established".  Every club is at risk.
Newcastle are on the edge this season.  Swansea have sacked their manager and are far from "safe".
Leicester''s survival last season was unprecedented, if you don''t like the words "a miracle".