Sign in to follow this  
king canary

Just watching Bournemouth

Bit dispiriting how well they and the players the came up with have adapted to live in the Premier League with significantly less Premier League experience. Players like Arter, Cook, Daniels and Richie have come up the leagues with them and play without fear. All a bit similar of that season under Lambert.

If we do go down I think it may well be time to cut ties with the players that have been at the core of two relegations for this club. I''m looking particularly at the likes of Bassong, Howson and even Wes. A new team without the baggage focusing on some of our younger players. Could be fun.

Should we go down then we will need to cut player costs and playing our youngsters would help with this and show if they are going to make it with us.

The Murphy twins, Thompson, Maddison, Toffolo and McGrandles are potential first team players with Godfrey maybe making a contribution too. With some experienced players such as Naismith it could make an interesting mix although promotion perhaps would take a season or two to achieve.

Bournemouth remind me of us under Lambert , squad should not be good enough but team spirit and a motivational manager are going to see them ok  . We would not get out of the Championship using all those young players the top of that league is pretty big money stuff now, just look at the likes of Derby and Boro spent absolute millions and still promotion is far from certain.

I still think Bournemouth could be sucked into a relegation fight, however their manager does have a Very specific idea of how the game is to be played and is prepared to stick with it, that shows he has confidence in his players which IMO is helping. Ours must be thinking we weren''t good enough to play on the front foot earlier in the season as the manager felt he had to change the style and now we arnt good enough to sit back either.

Don''t get me wrong I''m not saying that plugging our young players in will mean we''ll walk to Championship but we have a number of players here who have failed repeatedly at the top level which is where we aim to be.

If we go down, I wouldn''t be too sad if we sold Olsson, Bassong and Howson for some decent return that we could invest back in hungry players eager for their chance at a club like ours. Building a squad around players like Bennett, Klose, Brady, Naismith and others while allowing our younger players (Maddison, Thompson, Murphy, Toffolo) a chance to get in the first team should be possible.

The reason Bournemouth are doing ok is because they''ve stuck to their way of playing, the players understand what their job is and they play as a unit.On top of that they have other players that can come in for injuries & suspensions and do the same job.If they do suffer a set back there''s no knee jerk reaction & they don''t keep messing around with team selections or playing square pegs in round holes.Currently, and for most of the season, we''ve been completely the opposite.

[quote user="mr footy"]Bournemouth were the champs last season we finished third so this is no surprise[/quote]

This is the point I made elsewhere mr footy. There''s nothing to suggest we should be better than Bournemouth. They were better than us and have arguably had a bigger budget to improve. It will be interesting to see how we compare at the end of the season.

Yes they finished above us but if you compare squads we had significantly more Premier League experience- unfortunately that experience is mostly of relegation.

Also Nutty I find your stance a bit confusing as earlier on you were claiming the fact Bournemouth bought a player who wasn''t getting in our team was evidence that we have the better squad?

Well I think the players we have signed to replace Grabban have improved our squad. I also still think that it strange Bournemouth paid all that money for a player not deemed good enough to start for us. If you think Grabban is better than what we now have I can''t recall you saying he was that good when he was here.

Just watching Bournemouth .....getting beat at home to Arsenal.

It''s a funny ol'' game.

We didn''t even play our first choice eleven when we got a point against them.

Bournemouth got beat fair enough

but they will set up the same next game same system players and go again they are going to get beat in this league like us

but the difference is we get beat we drop the CB change right back change system tell midfields not to roam forward

Bournemouth are no better than us as players slightly better as a team

play better football

but I hate to say it their manager sticks to his beleifs has confidence in himself

ours look lost in a big dug out

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="mr footy"]Bournemouth were the champs last season we finished third so this is no surprise[/quote]

This is the point I made elsewhere mr footy. There''s nothing to suggest we should be better than Bournemouth. They were better than us and have arguably had a bigger budget to improve. It will be interesting to see how we compare at the end of the season.

[/quote]But you forget their shocking long term injury list this season Nutty.We''ve had hardly any injuries and none really long term.

I haven''t forgotten anything Smithy. But I don''t think their injury list is an excuse for spending all that money on Grabban. Unless you know something I don''t.

Unless you''re saying we should be above them because of their injuries. If so then so should the rest of the league. There''s plenty of season to go yet. I''m not throwing in the towel, I don''t think Alex Neil or the players are either. Dry your eyes buddy...

:)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Well, there is, Norwich were on parachute payments last season and they had 3 seasons od Premier League money before that, so they should have had much more financial clout but somehow that doesn''t seem to be apparent.

[quote user="K Lo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Well, there is, Norwich were on parachute payments last season and they had 3 seasons od Premier League money before that, so they should have had much more financial clout but somehow that doesn''t seem to be apparent.[/quote]

Well I''m sure it''s all accounted for. If you go back through the accounts you''ll see where it went. Unfortunately we wasted all that money on transfers. The players were actually not good enough and it wasn''t all down to Snoddy taking that penalty. Just like Bournemouth''s money will all be accounted for. It will be interesting to see which of us had more to spend...

[quote user="K Lo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Well, there is, Norwich were on parachute payments last season and they had 3 seasons od Premier League money before that, so they should have had much more financial clout but somehow that doesn''t seem to be apparent.[/quote]What is apparent is that we might have had more financial clout than Bournemouth last season if they had not decided the FFP rules stood in their way and whatever fine they might eventually get was very much a price worth paying. A cynical act for a cynical game.This is not sour grapes, since we got promoted too (as we did when QPR cheated in an even more spectacular fashion). But Bournemouth''s cheating (which they have admitted) may have deprived another club of a chance at the Premier League.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="K Lo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Well, there is, Norwich were on parachute payments last season and they had 3 seasons od Premier League money before that, so they should have had much more financial clout but somehow that doesn''t seem to be apparent.[/quote]What is apparent is that we might have had more financial clout than Bournemouth last season if they had not decided the FFP rules stood in their way and whatever fine they might eventually get was very much a price worth paying. A cynical act for a cynical game.This is not sour grapes, since we got promoted too (as we did when QPR cheated in an even more spectacular fashion). But Bournemouth''s cheating (which they have admitted) may have deprived another club of a chance at the Premier League.[/quote]
How fortunate for them. I wish it was us. Possibly this forum would be a happier place then. [:D]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Well I think the players we have signed to replace Grabban have improved our squad. I also still think that it strange Bournemouth paid all that money for a player not deemed good enough to start for us. If you think Grabban is better than what we now have I can''t recall you saying he was that good when he was here.[/quote]

Not really the point I was making- you can''t both claim that them signing Grabban means we have a better squad while at the same time claiming they were always going to do better than us as they finished first while we came third. It is one or the other, unless you''re claiming we both have a better squad but were always going to do worse than them due to some non player based factors (manager perhaps?).

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Well I think the players we have signed to replace Grabban have improved our squad. I also still think that it strange Bournemouth paid all that money for a player not deemed good enough to start for us. If you think Grabban is better than what we now have I can''t recall you saying he was that good when he was here.[/quote]

Not really the point I was making- you can''t both claim that them signing Grabban means we have a better squad while at the same time claiming they were always going to do better than us as they finished first while we came third. It is one or the other, unless you''re claiming we both have a better squad but were always going to do worse than them due to some non player based factors (manager perhaps?).[/quote]

If that wasn''t your point what was?

I haven''t claimed them signing Grabban gave us a better squad. I just said it was a strange signing and they wouldn''t improve their squad if their ambition was to sign players who struggled to start for us.

My point is exactly what I said it was in the last post. It wasn''t about the ability of Grabban, our signings or anything like that.

You''ve made two points that contradict each other- claiming that they were always going to do better than us due to coming first, while a week or so earlier claiming them signing one of our reserves meant we must have the better squad. Pretty simple point really.

Purple Canary Wrote: What is apparent is that we might have had more financial clout than Bournemouth last season if they had not decided the FFP rules stood in their way and whatever fine they might eventually get was very much a price worth paying. A cynical act for a cynical game.

This is not sour grapes, since we got promoted too (as we did when QPR cheated in an even more spectacular fashion). But Bournemouth''s cheating (which they have admitted) may have deprived another club of a chance at the Premier League.

Frankly I wouldn''t mind if it was Sour Grapes. I think until such grapes are soured and people actually stand up to this sort of nonsense the jolly old FFP may as well take a running jump.

The media love in of Bournemouth has been nauseating. The presence of the Russian Million/Billionaire never gets a mention . Instead it is a fairystory , built on tales of Flaxenhaired Managers and seaside cottage-sized stadiums in a true rag to riches story.

Am I bitter? Too bloody right. Middlesbrough just spent £9 million on a player who stalled on personal terms , so we can assume that Rhodes alone will impact greatly on the Wages/Turnover ratio. No doubt ''Boro will be the next to get promoted and thumb their nose at FFP.

Soon all promoted clubs will be at it.