Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Ref Review - Big clubs are beneficiaries

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/ref-review-the-incorrect-decisions-from-week-25?
This site tries to keep track of major decisions going for and against teams. Not scientific but they have a panel of five (who the five are is anyone''s guess) presumably impartial analysts who examine controversial decisions and decide if they think it was correct or not.
Here''s the league table according to them, for major decisions for/against so far this season. Worth mentioning that they split 3-2 on the Spurs penalty so called it as a correct decision but noted it was incredibly soft, so depending on your stance on that incident we could be further down the bottom.
Does it really even itself out? 
Time for video technology to be implemented in my opinion.

I do despair about some of the decision making, but, the problem here is, the decisions are based on the opinion of the Referee. So if we get a decision that is deemed to be controversial a) who decides it is worthy of being reviewed? - or do we just say all offsides and Penalties? And b) what if the Refs original decision gets upheld? Do we then seek the opinion of another expert until we get the decision we want?

[quote user="First Wazzock"]I do despair about some of the decision making, but, the problem here is, the decisions are based on the opinion of the Referee. So if we get a decision that is deemed to be controversial a) who decides it is worthy of being reviewed? - or do we just say all offsides and Penalties? And b) what if the Refs original decision gets upheld? Do we then seek the opinion of another expert until we get the decision we want?[/quote]
The guy in the booth with access to replays decides and lets the ref know, or the ref himself can check the decision if he isn''t sure. Coaches could also have 2 "challenges" per game whereby they can get a decision, or non-decision reviewed next time the ball goes out of play. 
It works perfectly fine in most american sports which all use replay technology to assist refs to call the game correctly. NFL goes with the refs decision unless there is clear evidence on the replay to overturn it.
It''s feasible.

[quote user="kick it off"]
It works perfectly fine in most american sports which all use replay technology to assist refs to call the game correctly. NFL goes with the refs decision unless there is clear evidence on the replay to overturn it.
It''s feasible.
[/quote]Its the same with the clock. In every other sport there is an independent time keeper, even Rugby saw the need to change.Its always been feasible, but some have to be dragged kicking and screaming.

I believe that the "independent" time keeper in rugby works under the referee`s instructions as to when to stop and when to restart the clock and is not independent at all, that is to say he does not decide the amount of time to be added but simply acts as a conduit between the referee and the public time clock. The referee could just as easily use his own watch but the "independent" timekeeper lets everyone else know how long is left.American Football is a 60 minute game time  divided into 4 x 15 minute quarters.They usually take around 3 hours to complete

[quote user="Molly Windley"]I believe that the "independent" time keeper in rugby works under the referee`s instructions as to when to stop and when to restart the clock and is not independent at all, that is to say he does not decide the amount of time to be added but simply acts as a conduit between the referee and the public time clock. The referee could just as easily use his own watch but the "independent" timekeeper lets everyone else know how long is left.American Football is a 60 minute game time  divided into 4 x 15 minute quarters.They usually take around 3 hours to complete[/quote]

I wonder what time the early leavers go in order to beat the traffic....