Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Hair Dryer

When AN arrived, he came with a reputation of being tough, no nonsense kind of character and it seemed to work.  This season has seen him looking less assertive imo.  Given our recent results, I would have expected more anger from him at some of the performances. I know he is very honest in front of the cameras, but he rarely shows anger - and in some games, anger would be quite a natural response to some of the performances. Maybe he does do that behind closed doors, but in after match interviews he shows disapointment and frustration, but not anger.  He talks of "the group" and includes himself in that, but to my mind, he needs to separate himself a little more from "the group" and start laying down the law a bit more - and showing that anger in public.   Maybe after Villa he did show a bit more anger, but it was still tempered by talk of "the group" and "us" and "all of us improving" etc etc.  Would like to see that anger more after poor performances - or at least hear hints or reports of anger from players.  SAF was legend for his hair dryer treatments, which became open knowledge.  Would like to hear that SAN does a bit of that too.

Maybe, maybe not.  Last season it appeared our players needed a rocket up their backsides to buck their ideas up a bit - and it appeared AN gave them that.  I don''t get the impression they have had that this season, given some of the performances.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Maybe, maybe not.  Last season it appeared our players needed a rocket up their backsides to buck their ideas up a bit - and it appeared AN gave them that.  I don''t get the impression they have had that this season, given some of the performances.

[/quote]
Yeah, I understand doing it behind closed doors, it doesn''t need to be public though. When you''re in the kind of form we''re currently in, the last thing you want to do as a manager is set yourself apart from the squad and in public, point at the squad and scream "Its all their fault".
You have to remember as a player they''re probably starting to doubt AN themselves, if he then pins all the blame on them and none on himself as you''re pretty much suggesting by distancing himself from the group, the chances of them putting everything in to the next game is pretty low.

I don''t think he''s actually a ''hairdryer'' type manager. It''s the Scottish accent & shaven head that makes us assume that.

From what he says I think he expects the players to be professional & grown up enough to know what they have to do, what he expects of them. One would hope that''s the right approach. It certainly should be.

[quote user="ron obvious"]I don''t think he''s actually a ''hairdryer'' type manager. It''s the Scottish accent & shaven head that makes us assume that.

From what he says I think he expects the players to be professional & grown up enough to know what they have to do, what he expects of them. One would hope that''s the right approach. It certainly should be.[/quote]

I agree with that up to a point, but sometimes you need someone to say enough is enough and if AN can''t do that, then who is?   It''s all very well expecting players to be grown up and professional, but the way some of them are performing at the moment, you would have to say that especially after that Villa performance that the rot stops there.

Well, LDC, that may be the problem - despite appearances he perhaps doesn''t have the necessary bullying qualities in his nature.

To be honest, there''s no way we''ll know what goes on behind closed doors. All I know is that his reaction post Villa was concerning, & the players'' attitude has to change.

SAF displayed a fierce autocratic management style - however he also backed it with huge compassion & understanding. The Scottish accent ensured he got attention & the hairdryer incidents got media headlines. SAF''s soft-skills rarely did.

When he first arrived at our club, AN seemed mostly autocratic - perfectly understandable given he didn''t know his team members & had little or no goodwill with any them. As time has passed, AN has immersed himself in the NCFC treacle-like culture & appears to have become far more democratic in the process.

To a point, this is also understandable. On the back of 5 defeats he''s well aware that something needs to change; he can''t use the same type of thinking to solve the problem that he used to create the situation. Maybe he does need to show more anger - that''s not the same thing as blaming players though - and rebuild his personal stature as the team leader around here.

It needs to happen fairly quickly though - simply to avoid another below-par performance on Saturday...

What I can''t understand is how, often at home, we start so slowly and yet come out much more fired up for the second half. I have put that down to the half time team talk. Why does it wait till half time?

[quote user="morty"]More shouting, yup, definitely the answer[Y][/quote]

Wouldn''t it be awful if the only way a manager could build himself up was by tearing down those who work with him?

Shouting for the sake of shouting, no. Leave that to the Jeremy Kyle Show. There are other ways of generating a great performance - as Claudio Ranieri is currently showing us...

Sorry don''t go with this at all.

How many of us can honestly say our performance at work has improved after a manager has shouted at us? I certainly haven''t. If anything it''s much more likely to undermine confidence and lead to less innovation on the pitch.

Management is about getting the best out of people - not just getting angry and shouting.

i agree the teams that are doing well this year are the teams that managers are showing a happy go lucky cheery side instead of the grumpy shouting type

now I know behind closed doors that if ranieri is not happy he will let people know but he is going about cheerful happy and his side shows that he has taken the pressure and turned it into a see where we go attitude

who wants to go into work to get shouted at all the time

a lot of the better managers have a lighter side to take the pressure of players

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "][quote user="morty"]More shouting, yup, definitely the answer[Y][/quote]

Wouldn''t it be awful if the only way a manager could build himself up was by tearing down those who work with him?

Shouting for the sake of shouting, no. Leave that to the Jeremy Kyle Show. There are other ways of generating a great performance - as Claudio Ranieri is currently showing us...[/quote]I would be very, very surprised if Alex isn''t getting animated behind closed doors, as is right, I have no interest in seeing a public, Keeganesque meltdown on live telly.To think Alex isn''t getting pi$$ed off at the individual errors, and letting the players know in no uncertain terms, is a bit strange.imo.

There are many different ways of inspiring a group, but showing emotion though, is sometimes a way of showing how much you care - and as NM says,  shouting and anger does not mean blaming players.   Not shoutng and ranting all the time - but an occasional emotional outburst can be very effective in rallying a group.  It takes them out of their comfort zone and demands a response.   

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]What I can''t understand is how, often at home, we start so slowly and yet come out much more fired up for the second half. I have put that down to the half time team talk. Why does it wait till half time?[/quote]

Perhaps because before the gamer even kicks off there is nothing to criticise. The previous ''performance'' would have been analysed and appropriate criticisms levelled and addressed in the days following the game. Come half time the manager can see whether any of what was said in training is being put into practice. It is is first opportunity to directly address what is happening in the match with the eleven players actually participating. It is also his first opportunity to respond in detail to the other team''s personnel and formation, which he wouldn''t know before the game and which can have a major effect on performance.

Sure he could provide some motivational stuff before the match, but he can''t address the direct deficiencies in the game until they have actually happened.

Without actually being in the dressing room, you have no idea how angry Alex Neil gets, what he says or how he behaves. This thread is purely speculation. I''m not sure how Neil ranting and raving like a lunatic on the side of the pitch will help things. He needs to get back to what he does best and that is having a clear plan and not overthinking the opposition, which I think he''s been guilty of recently. A lot of fans are forgetting the positive start we made this season in which we played some really good stuff. I think this has been curtailed as a result of our defensive defencies. However, I think we''ll stand a better chance of "going for it" rather than a more pragmatic approach. We''re not the only ones with a dodgy defence in the league and we need to take advantage of this and start attacking teams in the manner we did earlier in the season. Easier said than done, mind.