Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

The £77 Liverpool Tickets.

I see that earlier this evening Liverpool have issued an apology for the ticket increase for next season and dropped it. The highest price for 2016/17 will be £59 and the highest season ticket price will be frozen. Just shows what a well organised protest involving several thousand participants at a single match can achieve as opposed to one man and his dog handing out a few leaflets.

[quote user="Mr Jenkins"]A big enough protest about the corner hotel will surely see it demolished.[/quote]

Then they can build another club restaurant in its place - and call it "Tasty Tom''s"......or "Ed''s Eatery"........

Building for the future.......

I don''t believe everything I hear.

It''s not unknown for secret deals and smoke screen public statements to be the "order" of the day.

The government, as always, are obviously seriously concerned about crime rates rising in the area and the cost of associated extra policing costs.

But I think Liverpool have got rid of category a, b and c games and will be charging £59 for every match. If you go to every game then you will be paying more so the fans haven''t really won have they ?

I was talking to a Liverpool fan about this, this morning, and he plucked a stat out, he reckons with this new TV deal the clubs could let all fans in for free next season, and still turn the same profit they did this season.

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]But I think Liverpool have got rid of category a, b and c games and will be charging £59 for every match. If you go to every game then you will be paying more so the fans haven''t really won have they ?[/quote]

It will cost an extra £90ish to sit in those seats over a season and they''ve also increased the number of seats in the stand that will be charged at the higher rate. This is no victory for the fans, it''s the type of dodgy accounting that George Osborne would be proud of.

Still, at least that''ll give them something extra to get outraged by (assuming of course they can do the sums).

Apples

So now Liverpool fans have the option to pay £59 to watch them play a newly promoted team or £59 to watch them face off against the likes of Chelsea, Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Everton, etc...

Not to mention away fans will also have to pay these prices... No doubt Liverpool were one of the clubs that voted against a £30 cap on away prices...

To have no structure is just bonkers, can''t get my head around this at all - how FSG think they''re being good...

Deary deary me, what is life?!

Trouble is that if you price the tickets to cheaply there is the risk of allowing the peasants to be able to afford games and that would be morally wrong

[quote user="Loyal Canary"]Trouble is that if you price the tickets to cheaply there is the risk of allowing the peasants to be able to afford games and that would be morally wrong[/quote]So when more people turn up than available seats how do you decide who gets in?

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Loyal Canary"]Trouble is that if you price the tickets to cheaply there is the risk of allowing the peasants to be able to afford games and that would be morally wrong[/quote]So when more people turn up than available seats how do you decide who gets in?[/quote]

Basic market economics when demand is greater than supply you keep raising prices until you get to price equilibrium i.e. The peasants drop out and demand equals supply.

Club is better off and you have a sustainable business model

But does the quality and temperature of sausage rolls get better exponentially with increasing ticket prices?

Apples

[quote user="Mr Apples"]

But does the quality and temperature of sausage rolls get better exponentially with increasing ticket prices?

Apples

[/quote]NoBy increasing the temperature of the oven.[Y]

[quote user="Loyal Canary"] Basic market economics when demand is greater than supply you keep raising prices until you get to price equilibrium i.e. The peasants drop out and demand equals supply.

Club is better off and you have a sustainable business model[/quote]Indeed, but it looks like a lot of people in Liverpool think that market economics shouldn''t apply to them.

[quote user="morty"]I was talking to a Liverpool fan about this, this morning, and he plucked a stat out, he reckons with this new TV deal the clubs could let all fans in for free next season, and still turn the same profit they did this season.

[/quote]

If prem clubs donated 0.5% of the tv sea it would guarantee all tickets would be £20

At £20 a ticket demand would far exceed supply at several clubs currently in The Premiership taking for example the likes of Swansea,Watford,Stoke,WBA,Leicester,Bournemouth,Southampton,Palace and ourselves who play in front of full houses every home game because of capacities around the 30,000 and below mark. If Boro,Burnley and say Hull come up it will only increase that number of clubs.How do you cater for say an additional 5 thousand or so wanting to get there hands on these bargain priced tickets ? Loyalty systems would be abused and let''s face it even when Norwich City use the points system there are loads of faces you see at away games you have never seen before which begs the question how did they get the tickets ?£20 a ticket would create more problems than it would solve surely ?Getting back to Liverpool all credit to the fans groups involved without it appears the help of the FSF or the Twenty is Plenty brigade.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]At £20 a ticket demand would far exceed supply at several clubs currently in The Premiership taking for example the likes of Swansea,Watford,Stoke,WBA,Leicester,Bournemouth,Southampton,Palace and ourselves who play in front of full houses every home game because of capacities around the 30,000 and below mark. If Boro,Burnley and say Hull come up it will only increase that number of clubs.How do you cater for say an additional 5 thousand or so wanting to get there hands on these bargain priced tickets ? Loyalty systems would be abused and let''s face it even when Norwich City use the points system there are loads of faces you see at away games you have never seen before which begs the question how did they get the tickets ?£20 a ticket would create more problems than it would solve surely ?Getting back to Liverpool all credit to the fans groups involved without it appears the help of the FSF or the Twenty is Plenty brigade.[/quote]

You seem to want away games to be a closed shop that no one else can get into. How are youngsters supposed to enjoy away matches if the same people hog all the tickets ? Are they supposed to wait until your generation start popping there clogs or become too imfirmed to go ? I think what you are saying is cheaper tickets would increase competition and you might not always get yours ? Bloody hell new faces at an away game whatever next 😂

[quote user="morty"]I was talking to a Liverpool fan about this, this morning, and he plucked a stat out, he reckons with this new TV deal the clubs could let all fans in for free next season, and still turn the same profit they did this season.

[/quote]I wonder if the Liverpool fan is taking into account the likelihood that wages will rise sharply next season. The last time a mega-TV deal came in, for the 2013-14 season, Liverpool''s wage bill, which had been static, rose bt 10 per cent, from £131m to £144m. The chances are something similar will happen again.

No not at all sparts but what annoys me is when you adhere to the points system to obtain your ticket and then you turn up and bump into someone you know and the conversation goes along the lines '' haven''t seen you mate at a game this season '' and the reply is '' no it''s my first game ''.Rather makes a mockery of having any form of distribution in place unless it is a free for all general sale from the outset which obviously is a totally different ball game as it is a first come first serve basis.I do not see it as competition as you put it to get my ticket if a system put in place is fair for all but more demand for tickets at £20 would bring with it problems.I cannot believe you perceive say 5 thousand people scrapping over maybe 2,000 tickets as ok but hey ho.

I think 1st come 1st served is fine. If they were 20 quid a pop then we''d mostly sell our allocation and more supporters get the chance to support! You might not get every game you want but surely it''s better that it''s affordable and more people get a chance . So what if it''s someone''s first away game of the season ? Better than them sitting in at home being an armchair expert.

[quote user="im spartacus"]I think 1st come 1st served is fine. If they were 20 quid a pop then we''d mostly sell our allocation and more supporters get the chance to support! You might not get every game you want but surely it''s better that it''s affordable and more people get a chance . So what if it''s someone''s first away game of the season ? Better than them sitting in at home being an armchair expert.[/quote]I am beginning to think you don''t go to away games as we sell out our allocation at virtually all our away games anyway unless it is a stupid o''clock kick off on a Sunday in the north east or a Tuesday night the other side of Birmingham.Take our the last two and the next two at Bournemouth, Villa,Leicester and Swansea.......all sold out.You are entirely missing my point with your ''so what if it is their first away game of the season '' General sale not a problem in my book at all but it is a problem if they have swerved/abused a laid down procedure to obtain that ticket if it was not a general sale game.

[quote user="im spartacus"]You do come across as a bit of a football snob who wants to keep the low paid out til.[/quote]

To be fair there is benefit to the club in this approach. Better off fans at the ground spend more on merchandise, catering ( I am a big generator of revenue in this regard) attending away games etc

All this extra revenue helps the club but is put in jeopardy if a move away from the more affluent fan happens

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="morty"]I was talking to a Liverpool fan about this, this morning, and he plucked a stat out, he reckons with this new TV deal the clubs could let all fans in for free next season, and still turn the same profit they did this season.

[/quote]I wonder if the Liverpool fan is taking into account the likelihood that wages will rise sharply next season. The last time a mega-TV deal came in, for the 2013-14 season, Liverpool''s wage bill, which had been static, rose bt 10 per cent, from £131m to £144m. The chances are something similar will happen again.[/quote]It was a casual chat over a coffee in the galley, we didn''t micro-analyse every financial aspect[:)]

High ticket prices are a capacity problem. If stadiums were publically owned, as is the case in France, we''d generally not be seeing the public having to pay extortionate prices to attend a football match.At the moment many clubs are loathe to take on the financial risks associated with new stadium builds or rebuilds, else they don''t want to divert resources from elsewhere (eg the team). The man in the street, kids and the low paid end up the ones who suffer.

[quote user="im spartacus"]You do come across as a bit of a football snob who wants to keep the low paid out til.[/quote]I really don''t care if you have to survive on Jobseekers Allowance or if you earn £1000 a week sparts. Schemes to reward loyalty is not just confined to football and ticket allocation. Examples are Norwich Theatre Royal and their '' Friends of The Theatre Royal '' set  up which gives you priority for events, The O2 Arena which gives 24 hour priority to O2 customers before general release for gigs or how about England and its priority for games both home and away with the England Fans registration. Blimey even large department stores offer pre sale evenings for their store card holders.

Looks as though there is another protest planned for the Arsenal vs Leicester game on Sunday. Was scheduled for a 3pm Saturday kick off and Sky moved it to 12 Sunday at 3 weeks notice. Prices for away fans are only £26 though as Arsenal had given cat c pre season