Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Could West Ham be ANs last game

[quote user="GJP"]If someone else had got us promoted but AN took over in the summer would people be as happy?

Would we still have a "bright" young manager?

Or would we have an inexperienced and out of his depth manager?

He has to be judged on what he is doing this season.[/quote]
Disagree. He has to be judged as a whole. As the package deal. If you want to acknowledge his flaws then you acknowledge what he''s done well. If you take each manager on a season by season basis we will more than likely be changing manager every 18 months.
Hughton wasn''t even judged on that one season when he was sacked. He was judged on the quality of football throughout his time. But he was also probably given more time because the season before he showed he could grind out results.
This nonsense that the previous season should be ignored is just suiting an argument. How far back in history are we allowed to go? Can we ignore the Bournemouth 3-0 loss because it was a few weeks ago? Along with that, can we ignore the Man United win because that was before that.
Even if you just judge him on this season, we are one of the weakest teams and in one of the bottom positions. That''s hardly a massive surprise. Keeping us up would be slightly exceeding expectation in my opinion.

You can''t live on past glories and you can''t be sentimental.

Just because he did well in the Champs doesn''t mean he is the man for the Prem. The quality of football hasn''t been particularly great all season and now the results aren''t coming in either.

[quote user="GJP"]You can''t live on past glories and you can''t be sentimental.

Just because he did well in the Champs doesn''t mean he is the man for the Prem. The quality of football hasn''t been particularly great all season and now the results aren''t coming in either.[/quote]
I agree you can''t live on past glories, but when we''re talking as recently as last season I don''t think it''s fair to completely ignore it.
I''d say the quality of football has been fairly decent in most games, certainly in this latest run it''s been poor but I don''t think we''re near a Hughton-esque level yet (albeit a couple of games have been).
I''ll be honest, I don''t know if he''s the best guy to take us forwards - but I''m certainly not desperate to see the back of him like I was, in the end, with Hughton.

we might have one if not the weakest squads

but having a inexperienced manager is making it worse

name one player who has improved this season ?

name one player who is performing above his ability

Leicester have not go the strongest squad in the league

its all about the manager and coaches you get the right one who gels the team and gets them playing

AN is trying everything but not sticking to what made him such a success

west ham really could really rip us a new one and if that happens city fans will not take it lightly

I think it would have to be a spectacularly bad performance and result against West Ham for the board to dismiss him. But that doesn''t mean that it isn''t a possibility.

As to whether AN will be retained going forward surely depends on the objectives set by the board when they appointed him. He obviously achieved the first with promotion, but will failure to keep us up automatically see him shown the door?

I''ve said all along that managing this club was a fantastic opportunity for Neil. The board had looked at how he over performed at Accies - promotion, an away win at Celtic and leading the division at one point - and I''m sure part of the reason they appointed him was this ability to ''beat the money''.

It''s becoming obvious that managing us in the PL is much more difficult than managing Accies in the SPL.

If he can pick a settled side, organise them properly, get them to show some fight and play some decent football then I think he''ll retain his job, regardless of whether we''re relegated of not.

But if we''re abjectly thumped and the crowd turns, as Ricardo says, I don''t think it will end well for him.

Im amazed that the one big question has not been asked yet. Im amazed that no one has yet made a topic asking this one big question.Ive seen lots of us on these forums rightly say Alex  has lost the plot, sticking players out of positions, tinkering to much, playing guys who should not be starting, adopting a formation that ran its course ages ago, also seen lots of us saying how it could and should be put right. Seen lots of topics, including this very one, on will Alex be sacked or wont he, when in truth it dont matter a jot, as the board will do what they think is right.But no one has actually  made a topic about "Can and Will Alex change Citys line up more in line with what City fans Expect?"Just think the arguments over his staying / leaving, and about what WE think the City line up should be, have been discussed enough.

The football really hasn''t been any better than it was under Hughton.

[quote user="GJP"]The football really hasn''t been any better than it was under Hughton.[/quote]
Really? We''ve scored the same amount of goals so far this season than we did in the entirety of the relegation season under Hughton.

We have got better forwards than we did then but quality of football across the pitch isn''t much better. Not just recently either. Think back to when we beat Swansea - it was a Hughton performance all day long. Men behind the ball against a poor side and knicked it by a goal.

For the record, I will take grinding out 1 nil wins. Wish we could do that at the moment.

[quote user="GJP"]We have got better forwards than we did then but quality of football across the pitch isn''t much better. Not just recently either. Think back to when we beat Swansea - it was a Hughton performance all day long. Men behind the ball against a poor side and knicked it by a goal.

For the record, I will take grinding out 1 nil wins. Wish we could do that at the moment.[/quote]

In the games where Russell Martin hasn''t played cb we''ve definitely been Hughtonesque in defending so deep we are blunt in attack with one forward being isolated from our other attacking players. The ironic thing for me is that it''s Hughton''s loudest critics who have been imploring we play that way. Where as at one time it was said we''d have to score 3 to win a game it''s now getting to the point where we''d have to keep a clean sheet to get any points at all.

Easy for me to say, but I would go back to the blood and thunder of last season for this one. A high line, a 4-2-3-1 but in their half and not ours, and try to win bravely by the odd goal.

It might be the charge of the light brigade, but we have to go down fighting if we are to go down at all. We patently cannot defend as a unit so let''s spend as little time doing it as possible.

The Jan to May period in the Champs was of course a fabulous 5 months for Alex, City and the fans. Then on to the Premier in August. For me this last 6 or 7 months has been dire, i really loathe the one man up front type of system anyway, but any which way i look the vast amount of games City have looked drab, unexciting, bereft of any spirit, lacking any solidity as a team, and as energetic as Oliver Hardy completing a marathon. I would have thought even an inexperienced manager, if a system was not working, would try to change it after a few games. Alex has not ditched  his one man up top system after 25 games. The board will back him until end season, and i await to see Alexs response in these final 13 games, irrespective of wether we stay up or go down.If he continues with same old lame system, same old tinkering, same players out of position, do fans still consider him the right guy to lead us into the Champs next season?

Ultimately it will depend on whether the board wants to chase the Premiership dream. Should we lose against WHU and play badly then they would need to question their immediate strategy of whether to accept relegation or gamble on someone else to keep us up.Whilst AN''s Championship record is superb, next time round he will have baggage - a recently relegated squad lacking confidence, fans seriously doubting his tactical nous and lack of ability to motivate players. He may well have aleady p1ssed many of the players off and continue to do for the rest of this season, so a squad full of unhappy bunnies. It won''t be the same as when he arrived with a clean slate.Providing the team gives a blood and thunder studs up performance on Saturday and really go for the win, then even if we lose I don''t believe the fans will turn, yet. A powder puff performance however then I fear anything could happen.

Regarding the scenario of Nigel Pearson being appointed manager of NCFC?.......I really don''t think so........

You see......I consider our board (mainly the majority shareholder''s influence) akin to the FA when they appoint England managers.......

The FA never wanted the likes of Cloughy, Harry Redknapp or equivalent ''Bad Boyz'' that, are/were good managers that would rock the boat or aren''t shrinkin'' violets......The FA want ''yes men'' and mainstream managers......Not those charismatic and earthy individuals that ''say how it is'' and aren''t afraid to speak their mind -whether it be to the media, the squad or their employers.......I don''t think our celebrity owner would ever have the likes of Pearson grace the turf at Colney or Carrow.......But, it''s just a personal opinion.......

I think paul lambert was the nearest we had

I agree the board like managers who tow the line like hughton quiet respectful types

I think pearson would be is a step to far the man is so arrogant to the media he just causes problems

this board don''t like managers who keep knocking on the door we need this player or more money I think that maybe a stumbling block if we sacked AN they wouldn''t go for a Rodgers or a moyes

more a younger manager they can control

So are you saying that Alex Neil is simply a yes man and puppet of the board?

Or are you saying the board don''t like Alex Neil?

Its madness to even contemplate sacking AN.

Fans need to wake up and smell the coffee. This is premier league, you only have to look at the teams and squads in the top ten, and money spent to put those squads together.

We dont have the money, we never have, we never will. When we get promoted it always going to be a battle with the bottom 8 clubs to stay up. Look at the squads, id argue ours is one of the weakest, and this is all down to money spent.

Yes weve just spent £20m, but thats playing catchup. Bournemouth just spent £20m, but this is on top of what was spent in the summer. We spent frig all.

City fans need to wake up. Aside from a few selection mistakes AN has made, which I for one have criticized, square pegs etc., AN has done all that can be done with the squad he has and the money he had to spend. Youve got to also be fair to the guy, he is inexperienced, and you only get one go to get it right. He has got it right more times than not this season. If he hadnt we would be in Aston Villla''s position.

We are only now in the relegation places, and still in the mix. A couple of wins like we did over xmas and we''d be 14th or so.

So AN is doing entirely as could have been expected, and all that could be achieved given the squad and cash available to him, added into the mix his inexperience. He''s young and still learning. I think he''s performance in the Championship and the way we destroyed Middlesborough shows he''s learning and has the ability to learn and adapt.

He deserves time, and if it means relegation then so be it. If we go down its the boards fault for waiting til January to splash the cash.

Surely if its the Boards fault for not spending in the Summer we should now be seeing some improvement in form now they have splashed the cash ?. The fact we are getting worse week by week tends to point to the manager is not good enough or the players he has bought are not good enough (Pinto appears to be another waste of two million) . I think its a combination of both , Neil looks increasingly clueless but i dont see any real premiership class players in his squad . Bottom line is this league is just to good for Norwich and thats why promotion is usually followed by relegation apart from when you have that little bit of class like a Paul Lambert .

I don''t quite get why we have to excuse him for being young/inexperienced/learning. People seem to say it like there is a gaurantee he will turn into a great manager in time.

But here''s the thing, all the established managers people think are no better than average now were once younger and inexperienced.

It''s no different to a young player who is great at youth level or lower league but can''t make the step up. AN might be good in the Champs and in Scotland but he might not quite be up to Prem standards.

So are you saying that Alex Neil is simply a yes man and puppet of the board?

Or are you saying the board don''t like Alex Neil?

no nutty what I am trying to say a manager like AN who got a big chance to manager us is less likely to rock the boat than a lambert of a experienced manager

so yes a little yes man but not a puppet he will not do a martin oneil and say give me the player or I am off is he ?

I don''t think AN will get the push if we lose on Saturday. But it will seriously undermine his position.

Remember, the Board of Directors do have history when it comes to sacking managers mid-season. That is how Alex Neil got his job and also how Neil Adams became manager two years ago.

With the new TV deal there is more at stake financially than ever before. If the Board believe a change at the top will get them across the line, they will do it.

The thing is, just like two years ago under Hughton, I don''t believe they have a Plan B.

Be in no doubt that West Ham area top side. That said given their injuries, interest still in the cup and also that they played a sapping 120 minutes on Tuesday night the consequences and perception of us not winning this game will be even greater than normal

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Be in no doubt that West Ham area top side. That said given their injuries, interest still in the cup and also that they played a sapping 120 minutes on Tuesday night the consequences and perception of us not winning this game will be even greater than normal[/quote]A drowning man is happy to clutch at any straw.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Surely if its the Boards fault for not spending in the Summer we should now be seeing some improvement in form now they have splashed the cash ?. The fact we are getting worse week by week tends to point to the manager is not good enough or the players he has bought are not good enough (Pinto appears to be another waste of two million) . I think its a combination of both , Neil looks increasingly clueless but i dont see any real premiership class players in his squad . Bottom line is this league is just to good for Norwich and thats why promotion is usually followed by relegation apart from when you have that little bit of class like a Paul Lambert .[/quote]

On the contrary, I actually believe that the disruption of the new players coming in, Klose aside, has actually contributed to our recent downturn in form.

January is never a good time to splash the cash, players need time to bed in and AN needs time to see where they fit.

Pinto, Naismith, Klose and Mulumbu to a degree as he hasnt played all season, have all been thrown in at the deep end recently. This cant be ideal.

What is ideal is having spent money in the summer giving the new players a chance to bed in. Not panic buys in Jan and shoe horning players into the side as we have done with Naismith.

All Alex Neil has to do, is to show allegiance to the Labour Party and applaud its values. Then, become a close chum of the majority shareholding duo......Finally, forge and alter his family tree and state he is a close relative of the Smith clan......

Sorted, a lucrative job for life..... ;~)

Oh the irony !!

Cant believe we are even discussing this....

if the general consensus is that the manager is chopping and changing the team too often why would we want the board to do the same ?

We seem to be changing managers more often than our underwear of late....

I say give the guy time (yes its frustrating at present) but if we are patient in 3 or 4 years time who knows what or where we could be ?

You wanted the board to spend money in Jabuary and they have now we have given the manager the tools give him the time to get to work with them !

[quote user="alartz"]They won''t sack him. They never learn.

Pearson is a good shout but we will get relegated with Alex Neil and he will start next season just as bad as the end to the premier league season. He''s useless[/quote]

were you saying he was useless when he got us promoted last season?

ricardo wrote the following post at 10/02/2016 4:29 PM:

Yorkshire Canary wrote:

Be in no doubt that West Ham area top side. That said given their injuries, interest still in the cup and also that they played a sapping 120 minutes on Tuesday night the consequences and perception of us not winning this game will be even greater than normal

A drowning man is happy to clutch at any straw.

It''s not over yet, many twists to come, Newcastle and Sunderland both have tough games this weekend, if we can sneak a win and get out of the bottom three the whole mood would be lifted.

For all those saying AN should be judged on performances this season, and that Pearson is the man for the job, please remember.....

at this stage last season Leicester were rock bottom. Had he been judged in the same way, he''d have been sacked. They stuck with him, look what happened.

AN is a young, hungry and upcoming manager, as has been said. I''ve said before perhasp our promotion came too quickly. IF, and I say IF, we get relegated, then I feel we should still stick with him. He''ll learn, and he''ll improve. And maybe if we stick with him things will improve. Getting someone else in has no guarantees