Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

Could West Ham be ANs last game

[quote user="CanaryOne"]I believe most people said we should have appointed Lennon instead of Adams and that Adams would not get us promoted , they were spot on .As for Neil getting us up , well he improved us from 9th to 3rd (just about anybody would have improved on Adams) had almost a bye against that lot in the semi''s and did well in the final . He did good , but maybe he has been massively over hyped by some on here and he is not this great manager in the making . Hes looking worse than Hughton at the moment .[/quote]Before the decision was made there were a few posters who said it (and kept on saying it afterwards, at least until Lennon stopped winning matches with Bolton last season). And one or two thought it would be Lennon, irrespective of whether they believed it a good idea. There was never anything like a pro-Lennon majority and at least as many people - I suspect more - argued strongly against him as argued for.

In my opinion , if the board is intent on keeping the faith with AN , he needs the help of an experienced coach .

His entire staff including himself are bereft of ideas now things have gone wrong . I have said on many occasions this season that he could do with advice from somebody like david moyes.

This doesn''t have to be the end of AN as manager of Ncfc , but the loss and rewards are obvious , it is too important now to leave it to him alone to try and turn it around .

If I was in charge ,, I would certainly be considering replacing him , if he refused to let a mentor advise him . I am possibly biased in as much as I have never been convinced , particularly since we were promoted . For most of the reasons others have stated numerous times I.e. The random team changing and strange substitutions both in personnel and timing , clueless may be harsh , but very close to the truth I think .

Personally, if he looses to West Ham.

The Board Must act.

Thats a terrible Run, even for us.

And the team has not looked like they are Playing for Alex Since Stoke.

Pearson, while carrying a lot of baggage is a very good shout, and someone we probably could get.

Has the Experience needed, and is a cut above Alex in my opinion.

There can be no sentiment in football, its a thanks for your work, and good luck for the future Alex.

If they act if we loose the next two games, we would have a slight vhance with Pearson. Anyone else ( ie cheap as usual ) and we will be done for.

We live in a throw away society.  If it''s not working, throw it out.  Pathetic really.   If ManU had thrown away SAF when things were going badly, their whle future could have been a lot different - so stick with the manager and see it through.   Sometimes adversity brings the best out in people - and we know AN is a strong character.  If you get rid, you''ll never know what might have been. 

Ah, but you''re wrong there LDC. A lot of posters here know EXACTLY what''s going to happen. And if it doesn''t, well, they never said it in the first place.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]I believe most people said we should have appointed Lennon instead of Adams and that Adams would not get us promoted , they were spot on .As for Neil getting us up , well he improved us from 9th to 3rd (just about anybody would have improved on Adams) had almost a bye against that lot in the semi''s and did well in the final . He did good , but maybe he has been massively over hyped by some on here and he is not this great manager in the making . Hes looking worse than Hughton at the moment .[/quote]No, they really didn''t...

Interesting to venture on here occasionally to take the temperature of NCFC fans. The idea that West Ham could be AN''s last match in charge is plain daft. The board backed AN substantially this January because they believe he is one for the long term and I believe they are right. Hull and Burnley went down and they''ve sensibly stuck with their managers and it''s paying off. The idea that you can bring in someone (Pearson, for example) who will immediately turn things around is for the fairies. The reality is that we have to get behind the team and do our bit to make sure that at the season''s end we finish no lower than 17th place. There is no magic solution. We get out of this by backing the club and the manager.  

I was totally behind getting Adams, Hughton and Worthington out all those years ago.. but Alex Neil.. are you people serious?!! Stevie Wonder could see that we went into this season with a defense and attack that gave us no chance this year.. he was clearly trying his hardest to sign people to fill those gaps in the summer and wasn''t given the backing he needed to get the players in. The fact we did reasonably well in the first half of the season was a miracle.

For those of you with an ounce of intelligence listen to how eloquently he speaks, his desire to win, his passion and how much he invests in every single game. There are not many leaders out there like Alex Neil in any walk of life, and certainly not ones who will come to Norwich City. You need to get real about where we are as a football club.

Yes, he is young and made mistakes but he will get better. He has real raw talent. If he stays long enough you will see that. If people start to turn on him then I hope he leaves of his own accord and proves you all wrong somewhere else, because I guarantee that he will end up a very successful manager..

And for the record at the time we appointed him I thought we had made a huge mistake..

[quote user="morty"][quote user="CanaryOne"]I believe most people said we should have appointed Lennon instead of Adams and that Adams would not get us promoted , they were spot on .As for Neil getting us up , well he improved us from 9th to 3rd (just about anybody would have improved on Adams) had almost a bye against that lot in the semi''s and did well in the final . He did good , but maybe he has been massively over hyped by some on here and he is not this great manager in the making . Hes looking worse than Hughton at the moment .[/quote]No, they really didn''t...[/quote]Yes they really did , the only ones who were behind the Adams appointment were the regular back the club whatever brigade on here , and just like they were with Gunn then Hughton they were wrong .Lennon was the fans overwhelming favourite for the job and the appointment of Adams was another amateur decision by this club who should have known better after the Gunn fiasco.

[quote user="CanaryOne"][quote user="morty"][quote user="CanaryOne"]I believe most people said we should have appointed Lennon instead of Adams and that Adams would not get us promoted , they were spot on .As for Neil getting us up , well he improved us from 9th to 3rd (just about anybody would have improved on Adams) had almost a bye against that lot in the semi''s and did well in the final . He did good , but maybe he has been massively over hyped by some on here and he is not this great manager in the making . Hes looking worse than Hughton at the moment .[/quote]No, they really didn''t...[/quote]Yes they really did , the only ones who were behind the Adams appointment were the regular back the club whatever brigade on here , and just like they were with Gunn then Hughton they were wrong .Lennon was the fans overwhelming favourite for the job and the appointment of Adams was another amateur decision by this club who should have known better after the Gunn fiasco.[/quote]Best you find me some evidence fella, because I''m calling bull$hit.

[quote user="Jan Van Borsburg"][quote user="CanaryOne"]As for Neil getting us up , well he improved us from 9th to 3rd (just about anybody would have improved on Adams) had almost a bye against that lot in the semi''s and did well in the final . He did good , but maybe he has been massively over hyped by some on here and he is not this great manager in the making . Hes looking worse than Hughton at the moment .[/quote]
Not in your wildest dreams.
"He improved us from 9th to 3rd."
That doesn''t tell the half of it.
Neil''s record last season:
P22 W15 D4 L3
That is an outstanding record by any measure.
[/quote]

And we moan about the scum dragging out the history books!! Last season, different league! Current record not good enough

We might still stay up. I don''t think that we have the belief to do so. We need to give more than most and operate as greater than the sum of our parts. We are a very good championship team with some premier quality.

Imo we have not looked comfortable since the Newcastle game. Although we had some very good wins over xmas we have struggled to defend as a unit in particular the over use of the back pass. We need a higher line imo which requires confidence.

Alex has had silly cards from our defensive mids which has severely affected his ability to turn this around. We seem unable to rely on our keepers to maintain standards. The same has been true of our back four. Nobody is screaming to be an automatic choice elsewhere. Alex is learning on the job. Let him learn.

We have invested wisely in good young players that can replace those that will leave in the summer.

Under Alex we will be favourites for the championship title.

Let''s not just start over for the sake of it.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Believe in the guy, he''s a good manager that can only get better,  [/quote]
This. While I may be all doom and gloom and think we are relegated, I sincerely think AN is the man to bounce us straight back. People forget the guy has only been in management for less than 3 years and he''s only been a full time manager for one year! Look what he''s achieved in that time, he is struggling at the moment but we should support the guy he deserves another season at least.
We have a good manager on our hands, inexperienced yes but he''s only going to get better with time, to sack him would be utter madness.

[quote user="funny old game"][quote user="Jan Van Borsburg"][quote user="CanaryOne"]As for Neil getting us up , well he improved us from 9th to 3rd (just about anybody would have improved on Adams) had almost a bye against that lot in the semi''s and did well in the final . He did good , but maybe he has been massively over hyped by some on here and he is not this great manager in the making . Hes looking worse than Hughton at the moment .[/quote]
Not in your wildest dreams.
"He improved us from 9th to 3rd."
That doesn''t tell the half of it.
Neil''s record last season:
P22 W15 D4 L3
That is an outstanding record by any measure.
[/quote]

And we moan about the scum dragging out the history books!! Last season, different league! Current record not good enough[/quote]

The point being made was that to disregard ANs achievements last season is disrespectful and just plain stoopid. AN turned the club around and to get anyone promoted from the championship is one hell of an achievement. Saying ''just about anyone would have improved on Adams'' is ridiculous.

However there was no mention in the that post of last seasons achievements being a reason to keep AN. Agreed he should be judged on the here and now. The facts are we''ve reached the lowest point in ANs (short) time at the club...is the answer really to just get rid and start again, and hope for the best?

If the team/squad aren''t playing for him and he''s lost the bond he clearly had with the group last season then that''s a different issue and one hard to come back from but until we know otherwise, we need to trust the desire and good play from the first half of the season will soon return and get behind the team, starting Saturday.

The large majority of what I''ve seen of an Alex Neil team is football I''m happy to pay to watch. A few poor performances and results doesnt mean that won''t return.

Depends as much on the performance as the result. If we go down fighting then that augers well for the remaining games. If it''s another no show then unfortunately I think he should go.

He may be one for the future - he may not ever make it higher than where he is now. Talk of what happened to SAF or Leicester is nonsense. These events are very very rear and we can''t make major decisions on the clubs immediate future based on that sort of unlikely eventuality.

We are faced with the current dilemma and we have to do everything we possibly can to stay up. If we go down there is absolutely no guarantee of bouncing straight back up - there are many examples of ex-premiership clubs struggling.

There are points in a season when it becomes obvious what is on the horizon and we are fast approaching the point where relegation is becoming more and more likely - we can''t just sit and let that happen on the premise that it will all come right in the end.

I can''t put my finger on it but I''m actually quite optimistic about this Saturday. It''s probably based on the fact that I so wan''t AN to succeed but despite that I am realistic enough to know that this opportunity of establishing ourselves as a premier league team is something that may not come around again for some time.

I''ve just put elements of the below on another thread but it''s relevant here too:

I don''t get this culture now of sack, sack, sack, sack. We have a really good young manager who it''s worth sticking with, especially as the alternative is someone like Nigel Pearson. Why would fans give up on a really bright young manager because of one months bad form, or a possible relegation? Some fans stuck with Hughton, Worthington etc for so so long, yet aren''t prepared to back Alex Neil through this tough period. People point to Neil''s lack of experience. It''s not as if Worthy''s experience or Hughton''s experience actually kept us in this league, is it?

As a club, we don''t have too much going for us. Outside of Norwich, nobody really cares about us. Our youth academy is largely rubbish and has been for years and years, we regularly produce nothing, just a bunch of players to fill Gorleston''s starting 11 in years to come. Our location means we struggle to get really decent players into the football club, our scouting network has been poor for many years too. So when we do have something special, Alex Neil, why would we just happily let that all go for someone like Nigel Pearson? Why would you want that to happen? How would that improve our football club? Pearson may have a short term impact, may keep us in the league, but so may Alex Neil.

Look beyond this season. Would you really want to be going into the 2016/17 season with Nigel Pearson as manager? Would you want him as manager on the first day of next season? Say it''s the Championship, say Pearson didn''t have the impact and we went down, would you really be happy with him at the helm, or would you rather we kept our bright young manager with a huge future, instead of appointing a manager with the huge ego? Is it not best to stick with our bright young manager with his absolutely huge potential, who is just going through a rough time at the moment? Is it not moments and times like this that may turn him into a great manager? Nobody has it easy all of the time. This is his first managerial test. If he comes through it, we, as a club, could be massive beneficiaries, it''s just a shame some of you don''t see it this way. Instead you see Nigel Pearson. Crazy!

We all see things differently D7 - that doesn''t make someone else''s view crazy just because it''s different to yours.

AN may be special as you say but it''s certainly not the universal view. He may turn out to realize the huge potential which you say he has and we might benefit from that in future but that is pure conjecture and may not come to fruition. In the end it is a judgement call.

I want you to be right but one thing I do know is that striving and succeeding in getting to this division was a massive achievement that may not be repeated for years to come. In my opinion it will become harder and harder for a club like ours to achieve in future (you point out those difficulties yourself). It therefore requires us to do everything possible to hang on to that success - now, in the present. That includes assessing the risk and taking tough and unpalatable decisions.

I agree with RowD regarding Alex. Not so much regarding our academy and location. Our academy has been shit, yeah, but much like Alex Neil, is only going to improve with time. And the location is nonsense. An hour 50 on the train to central london? Christ, my daily commute is longer than that!

Are people really suggesting Pearson as a replacement? A man that just managed to scrape the potential Premier League champions over the line last season. An egotistical psycho that alienated the media and his own players.

Err.. no thanks. I''ll stick with our bright, young manager. and I''ll support him through this tricky period.

I agree. Just a note on the academy though, you say it needs to be given time, it hasn''t produced consistently for years. We get the odd decent first team player, what, every 15 years? I''m not sure time will solve it. I think it''s more of a personnel issue.

The issue is that we are one of the weakest teams in the league and while the club struggles to compete financially with the likes of Watford and Bournemouth that''s going to remain the case.
Given that we struggle to compete in this league, whoever we replace AN with is likely to find themselves in a similar situation at some point. Even if Pearson were to repeat the great escape and we are in the PL next season, does anyone really believe that we wouldn''t find ourselves in a similar position again at some point? What then, sack Pearson and appoint someone else? Rinse and repeat until we go down?
Right now we have a manager who is young, ambitious and clearly talented given the success he''s already achieved in such a small space of time. Unless the players are refusing to play we should stick with him and give him the chance to come through this, even if that means risking relegation, because the alternative is worse over the longer term.

Thing is, we are one of the weakest squads in the league. Also, by and large we seem to lose out more from individual errors than anything that can be pinned on strategy or tactics.

If we''re fated to go down then so be it. Alex Neil has clearly demonstrated he''s a decent manager and, if he can''t turn this around, likely no replacement could either. You can''t polish a turd when all''s said and done.

If someone else had got us promoted but AN took over in the summer would people be as happy?

Would we still have a "bright" young manager?

Or would we have an inexperienced and out of his depth manager?

He has to be judged on what he is doing this season.

I hope not, I am a fan of AN and what he has accomplished with us last season.

Before even the start of this season we had people saying that AN was the guy even if we were relegated. How times have changed.

I think even if we are relegated we should hold on to him, he is a manager who has history of Promotion after all. I''ve also been impressed with how he and the club have handled themselves this season. We''ve bought some first team players but we''ve also bought some youngsters in, alongside that we''ve got our current youngsters playing on loan getting experience.

I think regardless of the league next year Alex Neil is the guy to lead us, and with the quality of youth we''ve got I think next year could be very interesting to watch!

GJP - that''s such a nonsense point. Ridiculous really. You''ve basically made a completely pointless point there. So if we''re judging on this season only, Jose Mourinho is a rubbish manager, is that what you''re saying?