Sign in to follow this  
allways travelling

mel's texts are fine by me...

[quote]mel, if your texts wind up dumbledelia, thats good enough for me... but seriously leave the kid alone!!!![/quote]

well, i have nothing against her bar her lack of english.

i dont mind her posting here and we all have our own opinions and whatever, but ''text speak'' is not welcome here

[quote]mel, if your texts wind up dumbledelia, thats good enough for me... but seriously leave the kid alone!!!![/quote]

Leave DD alone!, yes, I know he''s quite capable of fighting his own corner, but I find this text thing, lazy and bloody hard to read!.

The one thing this site had over others, was the well written debates (apart from my drivel!)

Before you know it, 90% of the board will be filled with teenage text messages.  

Can''t it be controlled?.

Perhaps we can have a seperate forum for text speak messages, like we''ve done for transfer rumours?

It will save us grumpy old men from moaning on this board!

I agree that the text lingo itself isn''t welcome, but Mel and her views are (Mel, seriously - stop it, talk proper, like...)

But I''m wondering whether Mel is just a scapegoat for our own frustrations over the declining quality of the English language amongst the youngsters... Text speak has been growing year on year, and there seems to be no stopping it!

My little sis is 16 years old and uses all the text lingo... I''ve seen her on MSG Messenger a few times, and I honestly can''t make out a work she''s saying! And now, to make it even worse, they''ve now started with this "crazy text" nonsense, mAkInG eVeRy OtHeR lEtTeR a CaPiTaL... I don''t understand! That small sentence just took me nearly a minute to write!!! How does it make it easier?!?!?

So, I agree that Mel should start to use the language properly, but is it really her fault? Is it some facet of modern culture we don''t understand? Declining teaching standards?

What worries me more, though, is that in ten years, will the kids know how words like "though", "later" and "tomorrow" are actually spelt? I fear not....................

Exactly. As I said in my other posts, this forum was the best for Norwich debate because everyone could use the English Language to a very high standard. I''m not against people coming on here and making a point, just try and write in English. As Wiz says, its hard to read as some abrieviations leave some questions over what the word is. Webteam... can''t you make a point of either altering these messages before they are put on the board, or simply make a rule that says that messages should be in English and coherent to other readers?

We''ve got better things to do than correct people''s English all day, but we will stop any future text speak messages from appearing on this board.

of course we could just not read the texts if they bother us,
but then that''s almost means were living in some form of
democracy with free speech and that would just be foolish.

Why don''t we go the whole hog, and all speak in "Esperanto?"

"Txt spk is gud if ur in a hurry"......What a load of ''Horlicks!''....

If the ''young uns'' wish to communicate in txt, I shall use morse and semaphore! Mello ;~)

I fur wun hint gart noo prarblems with this ''ere textun langwidge,but blarst me bor wart the hell is a texter ,thart sownd like suffin we can doo without!!

How about we just set up an elaborate system of clacks throughout Norfolk and express our opinions that way? Not great on a cloudy day, though...

[quote]We''ve got better things to do than correct people''s English all day, but we will stop any future text speak messages from appearing on this board.[/quote]

this is good new pete.

once again the webteam are superb!

[quote]Why don''t we go the whole hog, and all speak in "Esperanto?" "Txt spk is gud if ur in a hurry"......What a load of ''Horlicks!''.... If the ''young uns'' wish to communicate in txt, I shall use mors...[/quote]

.. .... ... ..... . ..!

This post is open to all and therefore I don''t think it is unacceptable for Mel to post text language but I don''t think many people will take her posts seriously in that format! We can choose whether we read her posts or not and lets face it most people now know who she is. It annoyed me at first but I have to admit it has been different and has given us something to smile at. I''d be intrigued to meet her!