Sign in to follow this  
Lewis DW

Ruddy Stupid Fans

77% of Norwich City fans want Ruddy re-instated in the Norwich first team.

I wonder what percentage of these fans want Alex Neil to stop tinkering with the team? I wonder what percentage of these ''experts'' look at Leicester''s settled starting eleven and want AN to try giving that a go at Norwich?

I wonder how many of these so called fans were on the Pink''un demanding that AN gave young Declan a go when John Ruddy was having a shocker?

Norwich fans are a bunch of pant-wetters that love a good scapegoat - it would seem Declan Rudd is the latest one!

Norwich are a team of Championship players and anyone that really thinks a different manager would get them to perform any better is seriously deluded.

Its easy to name a settled team when they''re winning games though, isn''t it?If individual players are making mistakes then they can expect to find their place in jeopardy, surely thats how it should work?

the day when the fans pick the keeper or the team we really are in trouble

I have a funny feeling ruddy will be back in this weekend due to rudds error but fans need to remember ruddys errors gave rudd a chance

[quote user="Lewis DW"]I wonder how many of these so called fans were on the Pink''un demanding that AN gave young Declan a go when John Ruddy was having a shocker? [/quote]Probably all of them, including me. However just because we thought that that was the correct thing to do a couple of months ago it doesn''t mean that he gets to be a permanent fixture, especially after a couple of dodgy performances & an absolute howler. If people were calling for Ruddy to be dropped because of his errors then surely the same logic must apply to Rudd.

As far as I can see Rudd''s made two errors, both caused by misjudging whether (or when) to come off his line. He''s been a bit unlucky in that he''s not had a chance to make a great save, goals against have usually come when he''s been totally exposed. Ruddy was making errors every game.

Unless Ruddy''s shown marked improvement in training I''d stick with Rudd.

I think it''s a very tough call to be fair...

On one hand you have Ruddy - not been brilliant for a while, I would even go as far as saying he didn''t have a great season last season compared to previous... Making simple, basic errors never really looking like the keeper he was for our previous 3 seasons in the premier league. Got dropped as we all know, but came back in for the cup tie against Man City. I was personally expecting a big performance from him then to stake his claim for a first team place, but had a poor game and never looked happy once during the course of the game - almost like he didn''t want to be playing...

Rudd on the other hand came in and did a stellar job for his first few games, really trying to prove himself as the man who should be between the sticks. Made some fantastic saves - ones that we absolutely know Ruddy probably wouldn''t have made (the ones low in the corners that require a bit of mobility). Looked high on confidence, things seemed to be going well, we began keeping more clean sheets and the defence seemed to play with a bit more confidence again with the assurance of Rudd in goal. However, the last few games with the defence changing, making mistakes, and conceding a lot of goals (which in fairness he couldn''t do a lot about most of them) Rudd''s confidence seems to be faltering which is in my opinion why he is making such rash decision like the one at Villa. The way I see that Villa goal, Rudd has shipped a few, he''s trying to make up his confidence again, so he''s being impatient and making rash decisions which ultimately have cost us a goal. Reminds me a bit like De Gea in his first season at Old Trafford, he was making mistakes left right and centre, but the way I saw it was he was going for balls that no other keeper would go for, trying to be brave and prove himself - and that he wasn''t actually a bad keeper like everyone was saying. The only thing I would say Rudd lacks compared to Ruddy is his leadership skills. But that confidence in organising your defence and bossing them about comes with experience, it''s hard for a ''rookie'' keeper to come in and start bossing a few big(ish) and experienced names about in the biggest league in the world straight away like he''s Peter Schmeichel.

In fact, I''ve changed my mind, its not a ''very tough'' decision at all. Rudd stays in goal for me. His leadership will improve with experience. If Ruddy had played exceptionally well against Man City then I maybe would say it''s a tough decision and say Ruddy should go back in goal and this break has given him the kick up the bum he needed like Joe Hart had... Rudd is making less mistakes, he is more agile, he is IMO a better shot stopper and his distribution I would say is good too - but maybe Ruddy edges it there to be fair to him. A bit of guidance, and a bit of experience and Rudd, I think, will finally establish himself.

But whoever gets the nod for Saturday, or next Saturday or whoever we play, I hope they play well :)

Stats can tell you lots of things. I''ve seen every game and Rudd (imo) has looked far the better keeper this season.

Keeping Rudd as the starter would be fine if the club is preparing for relegation or were in the Chump this year. However, the stakes are extremely high to remain in this league. The team has enough time to get themselves out of the bottom three but it''s evaporating quickly. Changes were made in January and the players have to produce NOW as they have used up all of their mulligans. Ruddy has the experience, Rudd does not. Ruddy for me.

Certainly wouldn''t say Rudd has been far better. He''s been ok. If Ruddy comes back in and plays better than he was playing before then I guess the plan worked.

If Ruddy comes back in and makes 2 or 3 costly errors again where does that leave him. Dropped again for Rudd. How do you come back from being dropped twice for making costly errors.

[quote user="ron obvious"]As far as I can see Rudd''s made two errors, both caused by misjudging whether (or when) to come off his line. He''s been a bit unlucky in that he''s not had a chance to make a great save, goals against have usually come when he''s been totally exposed. Ruddy was making errors every game.

Unless Ruddy''s shown marked improvement in training I''d stick with Rudd.[/quote]As a goalkeeper, though, if Rudd''s being left totally exposed so that he doesn''t have a chance for making saves, does that suggest that he''s not doing enough to organise his defence? This is an area where Ruddy has been pretty strong in the past.

Rudd was brought in because Ruddy cost us goals with schoolboy errors, he''s done his time and now Rudd has hit a similar patch of poor form.

Just because they are GK''s you can''t really treat them any differently to an outfield player. Rudd rushing out last time out was madness, and he should be dropped for it!

We don''t see training so it is very hard to tell, obviously, but if we see Ruddy back between the sticks - as long as he puts in 110% I will not be complaining.

Both keepers have suffered from the pressure of playing behind a weak defence that leaves them constantly exposed.

Declan now seems to be trying to anticipate when the back four will part and leave him 1v1 with the opposition striker. Must be a nightmare for him.

The answer is more in sorting out the way the team defends.

[quote user="The Engineer"]

I think it''s a very tough call to be fair...

On one hand you have Ruddy - not been brilliant for a while, I would even go as far as saying he didn''t have a great season last season compared to previous... Making simple, basic errors never really looking like the keeper he was for our previous 3 seasons in the premier league. Got dropped as we all know, but came back in for the cup tie against Man City. I was personally expecting a big performance from him then to stake his claim for a first team place, but had a poor game and never looked happy once during the course of the game - almost like he didn''t want to be playing...

Rudd on the other hand came in and did a stellar job for his first few games, really trying to prove himself as the man who should be between the sticks. Made some fantastic saves - ones that we absolutely know Ruddy probably wouldn''t have made (the ones low in the corners that require a bit of mobility). Looked high on confidence, things seemed to be going well, we began keeping more clean sheets and the defence seemed to play with a bit more confidence again with the assurance of Rudd in goal. However, the last few games with the defence changing, making mistakes, and conceding a lot of goals (which in fairness he couldn''t do a lot about most of them) Rudd''s confidence seems to be faltering which is in my opinion why he is making such rash decision like the one at Villa. The way I see that Villa goal, Rudd has shipped a few, he''s trying to make up his confidence again, so he''s being impatient and making rash decisions which ultimately have cost us a goal. Reminds me a bit like De Gea in his first season at Old Trafford, he was making mistakes left right and centre, but the way I saw it was he was going for balls that no other keeper would go for, trying to be brave and prove himself - and that he wasn''t actually a bad keeper like everyone was saying. The only thing I would say Rudd lacks compared to Ruddy is his leadership skills. But that confidence in organising your defence and bossing them about comes with experience, it''s hard for a ''rookie'' keeper to come in and start bossing a few big(ish) and experienced names about in the biggest league in the world straight away like he''s Peter Schmeichel.

In fact, I''ve changed my mind, its not a ''very tough'' decision at all. Rudd stays in goal for me. His leadership will improve with experience. If Ruddy had played exceptionally well against Man City then I maybe would say it''s a tough decision and say Ruddy should go back in goal and this break has given him the kick up the bum he needed like Joe Hart had... Rudd is making less mistakes, he is more agile, he is IMO a better shot stopper and his distribution I would say is good too - but maybe Ruddy edges it there to be fair to him. A bit of guidance, and a bit of experience and Rudd, I think, will finally establish himself.

But whoever gets the nod for Saturday, or next Saturday or whoever we play, I hope they play well :)

[/quote]

Pretty much how I see it. I''m glad someone else has noticed that Ruddy has a problem making saves requiring agility like low shots to the corner.  Yes, we''ve conceded a lot of goals recently but hardly any that you could say were the goalie''s fault.

A lot of people are saying they want Ruddy back for his experience, but that experience didn''t help when he was giving away goals by making avoidable mistakes in the spell before he was dropped, so I don''t see why it would help now.

littleyellowbirdie, are you suggesting that our leaky defence is due to a lack of organisation by our goalie? You might be able to use that argument from free kicks, but not when their strikers have a free run on goal.

Incidentally, Villa''s first has now been called an OG:

http://www.espn.co.uk/soccer/aston-villa/story/2805024/joleon-lescott-goal-given-to-norwich-defender-timm-klose?

So Declan even less chance than it first appeared.

Ruddy organising the defence? More a case of leaving them to deal with balls he should take responsibility for himself and then shouting at them when they didn''t. Those in front of him have a right to expect more from a keeper of his experience.

I think all of our keepers are being affected by the fact they can''t rely on any stability from our defenders. I think the uncertainty as to whether the defenders will deal with a situation is leaving to much uncertainty in their minds making good judgment really tough. Personally I think Rudd has been the better this season, but if someone''s going to come in fr flack from the fans I think I prefer Ruddy and his experience to be the one to deal with it.

I''ve never changed my opinion - this is a really easy one; Ruddy is a better goalkeeper who was having a bad spell. We currently have a poorer goalkeeper going through a bad spell

I am a bit in the fence on this one - I certainly don''t think Ruddy was to blame for as many goals as some seem to think, but nor was he on top form so Rudd was possibly due a go. I do feel a bit sorry for whoever has been our keeper in recent games, the defence has been so pisspoor at times, and it''s generally feeble defending that has cost us - but shipping 16 in 5 games can''t have done Rudd''s confidence any good.

For me it''s a tough call as to who should be between the sticks on Saturday, I just hope AN gets it right and we have an all round better performance from all the guys at the back. We clearly need a boost and to find a formula that works for the remaining games.

We have got to get out of this hes young. He''s 25 (only 4 years younger than Ruddy) and played 81 first team matches.

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]Stats can tell you lots of things. I''ve seen every game and Rudd (imo) has looked far the better keeper this season.[/quote]

Haven''t seen every game but from those I have seen I completely agree - Rudd is the better keeper now and is very likely to improve with experience whereas, sadly, Ruddy seems to be going in the other direction.

[quote user="Creative Midfielder"][quote user="Kurious Oranj"]Stats can tell you lots of things. I''ve seen every game and Rudd (imo) has looked far the better keeper this season.[/quote]

Haven''t seen every game but from those I have seen I completely agree - Rudd is the better keeper now and is very likely to improve with experience whereas, sadly, Ruddy seems to be going in the other direction.[/quote]

Not sure how you come to that conclusion, Rudd has conceded more goals per game and is now making mistakes as bad as Ruddy when Ruddy was playing at his worst. The mistake against Villa was simply unforgivable.

I accept Ruddy was making mistakes but form is temporary, every time I see Rudd, he''s either hesitant coming off his line or far too quick to come off his line ..... Nothing in between

A greater level of maturity is what we needed and got today.

Whatever was that throw out to Nathan at the end there, of course everyone blamed Nathan for losing the ball, Ruddy''s fault though IMO.