Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

6 defeats & 1 draw from 7 games

A bit harsh Iron Stan!

its clearly an issue with the players not being good enough rather than our manager. Its a defensive issue, they simply arent good enough for 90minutes each week at this level.

But a lot of those goals against which set up the results were from individual errors. That has been the story of our season. At least two critical rickets by someone in every game.

[quote user="iron_stan"]sack him for crying out loud

[/quote]stick with him.if we go down he''s had 12 months of learning to come back stronger next time.there''s a saying in football.... a rubbish manager is an out of work manager.... the names mentioned are all sitting waiting for the phone to ring rather than being interviewed by BBC sport right now.do we really get someone in to "keep us up" just to sack him again in 12 months.Relegation or survival the club needs to be brutal over the next 2 - 3 seasons... we currently have 13 relegated players (Either here or with us) on our books.... if you invest in failure that’s ultimately what you will get...whatever happens we should back Neil and start a plan to phase out any player with a relegation on their CV.. by Brutal that means all of them over that 3 year period.. Bassong, Wes, Ruddy etc... a team full of promoted players with no relegation experience doesn''t know failure...what situation would you rather have?

Relegation form, no doubt. But I fail to see how anybody could do better when the players keep letting themselves down again, and again, and again

Ok, I''ll say it - pleased we''ve at least halted the losing streak and that both Bournemouth and Swansea have lost, now c''mon Chelsea.

sleepwalking to relegation as we always doits not workingsame as with hughton, small club mentality will see us miss out on the biggest tv deal ever, more experienced managers available and you want to stick with an out of depth manager whos only experience was with hamilton accies

After Hughton, one of the briefs for a new manager (as stated by Bowkett & McNally) was a motivater and someone who was able to change it during a game if things weren''t going to plan.  Well, I guess we''re still waiting!  [:(][:@]

I feel as bad as after the Liverpool game...this team is most probably going down...I think we cannot deny this any longer. I wouldn''t sack Neil, I think it is the players fault more than his.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Relegation or survival the club needs to be brutal over the next 2 - 3 seasons... we currently have 13 relegated players (Either here or with us) on our books.... if you invest in failure that’s ultimately what you will get...whatever happens we should back Neil and start a plan to phase out any player with a relegation on their CV.. by Brutal that means all of them over that 3 year period.. Bassong, Wes, Ruddy etc... a team full of promoted players with no relegation experience doesn''t know failure...what situation would you rather have?[/quote]
Agree with some of that, but we don''t need to be that brutal, we need to be pragmatic too. Brady got relegated with Hull, do you want rid of him too? Bassong needs to be replaced, Wes and Ruddy too (although all 3 would be useful in the Champs next year) but there''s a few who are worth keeping. 

dont get me wrong i blame the board for not investing in the summer in the right areas, the board certainly arent premier league standard, i think neil will go on and be a good manager however,

we need to stay in the league THIS season, hes not doing a good enough job, replace him, take the risk!!!!!! even if its only pearson until the end of the season, whoever, it doesnt matter we clearly need a change of mentality, the players look like they expect to lose the minute we conceded!! there is such a thing as a losing mentality not just a winning one

To hell with the new TV contract money - that''s all going to player wages anyway, nothing there for the fans. We want to stay up for the prestige of being a Premier League team and enjoyment of competing with the bigger clubs, not for money.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]I feel as bad as after the Liverpool game...this team is most probably going down...I think we cannot deny this any longer. I wouldn''t sack Neil, I think it is the players fault more than his.[/quote]So if the current form continues would you never sack him?  Even if that continues well into next season and even if you''re still of the opinion it''s the players'' fault?

Yes Brady too... relegation, while not 1 players fault, is a negative mindset and ultimately a player who was part of a team not good enough.

Why would that player be good enough to play every week now? Back up squad players at best?

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="ROBFLECK"]I feel as bad as after the Liverpool game...this team is most probably going down...I think we cannot deny this any longer. I wouldn''t sack Neil, I think it is the players fault more than his.[/quote]So if the current form continues would you never sack him?  Even if that continues well into next season and even if you''re still of the opinion it''s the players'' fault?[/quote]

And if we sack him and still go down which players get p45s?

Good to see people on this thread reasonably calm. Clearly our players just aren''t playing consistently at the level we hope them to be at, but there were definitely some signs of life today and positives to take forwards.

I would like us to back the manager rather than the players. Even if it means going down this season.

I wouldn''t be so bothered about going down if it wasn''t for the far superior coverage the prem gets!

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]Good to see people on this thread reasonably calm. Clearly our players just aren''t playing consistently at the level we hope them to be at, but there were definitely some signs of life today and positives to take forwards.

I would like us to back the manager rather than the players. Even if it means going down this season.

I wouldn''t be so bothered about going down if it wasn''t for the far superior coverage the prem gets![/quote]in America, we get hardly any coverage when they''re in the prem. When they''re in the championship, we''re go the entire season without seeing a single game.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Yes Brady too... relegation, while not 1 players fault, is a negative mindset and ultimately a player who was part of a team not good enough.

Why would that player be good enough to play every week now? Back up squad players at best?[/quote]
So there are no good players who have ever been relegated, is that what you''re saying?
Yeah, that Darren Huckerby was utter $h1t wasn''t he. Kevin Prince Boateng has been useless since his relegation with Pompey right, he wouldn''t add to our team at all. Michael Carrick also been garbage since he went down with West Ham in 2003. Les Ferdinand was also a terrible player in his day for sure, as he got relegated with the Hammers too. And after Roy Keane went down in that Forest team in the early 90s he never did anything in his career again did he? Michael Owen - Someone should have told Alex Ferguson that everyone in relegated teams is not to bother, god knows why he thought Owen could contribute to two more title winning campaigns - he was relegated and had a negative mindset for god''s sake!! You want to have a word with him and give him some tips just in case he comes out of retirement again.
And Juninho''s relegation with Middlesboro really got in his head when he won the world cup with Brazil in 2002. 
Bad teams can have good players. If you don''t understand that then you''re an absolute, incurable moron I''m afraid.

I say the premise is faulty. The players who have been relegated hsve more recently been promoted. Promotion builds confidence and a winning mentality. If relegation was all that impactful, we''d still be in the Championship.

Only thing Neil done wrong for me today was to leave Redmond on the pitch, he was woeful. At 2-0 up its down to the players on the pitch to see it out. I think we''re going to see an exiting run in as he intends to attack the opposition from now on

Neil needs to manage his players carefully. We really can''t carry any passengers, even if they are more talented (I''m thinking Redmond here). We need players with good stamina &/or who know when to expend energy & when not.

It was obvious players like Jerome & Howson were dead beat before the end (they both committed tired looking fouls) & needed replacing earlier.

O''Neil seems to know how to play his role without getting shattered, so worth playing throughout. Brady & Tettey have good engines, so should be able to last a game. But players like Jerome, who works his wotsits off & takes a lot of pressure off the MF & defence, needs replacing before he runs out of energy.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]Yes Brady too... relegation, while not 1 players fault, is a negative mindset and ultimately a player who was part of a team not good enough.

Why would that player be good enough to play every week now? Back up squad players at best?[/quote]
So there are no good players who have ever been relegated, is that what you''re saying?
Yeah, that Darren Huckerby was utter $h1t wasn''t he. Kevin Prince Boateng has been useless since his relegation with Pompey right, he wouldn''t add to our team at all. Michael Carrick also been garbage since he went down with West Ham in 2003. Les Ferdinand was also a terrible player in his day for sure, as he got relegated with the Hammers too. And after Roy Keane went down in that Forest team in the early 90s he never did anything in his career again did he? Michael Owen - Someone should have told Alex Ferguson that everyone in relegated teams is not to bother, god knows why he thought Owen could contribute to two more title winning campaigns - he was relegated and had a negative mindset for god''s sake!! You want to have a word with him and give him some tips just in case he comes out of retirement again.
And Juninho''s relegation with Middlesboro really got in his head when he won the world cup with Brazil in 2002. 
Bad teams can have good players. If you don''t understand that then you''re an absolute, incurable moron I''m afraid.
[/quote]I think there''s a bit of a difference in class between Brady and Hucks don''t you?i''m not for a second saying that a relegated player is a bad player... but when you''ve got a squad containing 13 relegated players then that axe has to be wielded.Perhaps Brady is good enough... but what about the other 12?

I fail to see why everyone is hampering on Redmond. He was excellent today, always looked like creating something, and was doing a defensive shift as well. It was his intelligent backheel that set up Hoolahan''s goal.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]Yes Brady too... relegation, while not 1 players fault, is a negative mindset and ultimately a player who was part of a team not good enough.

Why would that player be good enough to play every week now? Back up squad players at best?[/quote]I think there''s a bit of a difference in class between Brady and Hucks don''t you?i''m not for a second saying that a relegated player is a bad player... but when you''ve got a squad containing 13 relegated players then that axe has to be wielded.Perhaps Brady is good enough... but what about the other 12?[/quote]
I partially agreed with you earlier the axe has to be wielded, that was my entire point, but to get rid of talented players like Brady just because they got relegated is not sensible, nor effective. I''m not saying Brady is Huckerby any more than I''m saying he''s Roy Keane, but the premise is the same, just because a player is relegated, doesn''t mean they''re a bad player. You''ve backtracked slightly in your recent comment, but I don''t understand how you could have intended the original comment to mean anything other than a relegation automatically means that every player in the squad is bad.
A relegation is a sum of the parts, if you have an old battered engine but put a new shiny carburetor in it, then the engine will still be crappy, but the carburetor doesn''t become bad and useless just because it is in that engine.