Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

Every good team needs a Naismith.

Many Everton fans we''re disappointed to see Naismith leave. Relatively speaking Everton are a very good premiership team. Naismith''s hard working attributes intergrated nicely with their flair and ball playing players.

My point is, we are short on these types of quality players. And due to this, Naismiths strengths don''t really improve us. I''m not starting a bash Naismith thread, but does anyone else agree that he was poor yesterday and contributed little? The hope and expectation was that he''d improve the quality of our first 11 is slowly diminishing, as his early form suggests he may not be the answer.

So does Naismith really improve us?

Although technically he wasn''t brilliant yesterday he was a pain in the aris to the West Ham defence, constantly in their faces, winning free kicks and being a general nuisance. I also like the way he brings in a bit of leadership up front, talking (haranguing) his compadres. Him, O''Neil and Hooli were constantly talking to the team and this is what we have needed.

He provides a level movement, energy and leadership that has been sadly absent in the past. We are looking much more threatening with the ball and moving defenders around a lot more since he joined us, has made a big positive impact.

He also provided a lot of support for Brady yesterday. I can''t think of many times this season when the left midfielder has got back to help out that much.

You make some interesting observations Lincoln.

I actually didn''t think he had his greatest game yesterday. At times he seemed very distracted by Byram in the first half and was more keen to fight him than to actually play football.

I do however think he''s an excellent addition to our squad and I disagree with the notion that others aren''t necessarily on his wavelength. He''s not actually got the vision, passing or technical ability of someone like Hoolahan but he does have a lot of other great assets to his game.

I think the problem is more tactical with Naismith and whether he and Hoolahan can operate in Neil''s preferrred 4-2-3-1 set up. They''re both looking to operate in that central area and neither of them really wants to be out in the wider areas.

I think as a manager you''ve got to brave and probably leave one of them out as a result, to give the team a better balance to it. Brady would be my ideal choice higher up the pitch on the left and the goal he got yesterday shows why we must do everything in our power to get him in those areas of the pitch more often.

I think we needed someone in that position Lincoln. The number of effective games that Wes has had in recent months has diminished and of course he is now 34, so he does need to be used much more sparingly than he has been in the past.

Whilst, he''s an absolute magician you do also need your number 10 to weigh in with a decent share of goals. He scored yesterday but in many ways we saw the best and the worst of him - he turned down a couple of excellent shooting opportunities where he really should have been selfish and gone it alone.

Naismith does give you that bit more of a goal threat. But it is traded off against him not having Hoolahan ''s vision and passing ability of course.

Is he worth 8 million? Probably not, but in a world where we can get that figure for Lewis Grabban I literally have no concept of what anything is worth in footballing terms anymore.