Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Signings without ambition - so far

We were warned to expect a third, surprising, signing today, and it was.

So far we have signed three without any immediate outlay, apart from wages. As two come from clubs either relegated or in difficulty, it suggests thah their wages could be lower than the players departing.

But Thorne cannot be more than a bench warmer, surely, and must dismay Henderson, Jonson and Jarvis? And none of the three really suggests players signed with a view to the Premiership. If Primus does come from some sort of swap deal, he will be another.

It is to be hoped that Worthy is reserving buying money and wages budget for one or two players with skill who could make a big difference, players who are clearly better than what we have and who could be comfortable in the Premiership. I have in mind a creative, skilful midfielder and a competent central defender.

The verdict is "slightly disappointing", but with the hope that there is something left in the kitty for one or two players who could make a real difference.

Don´t agree with you there chaps.  All three are excellent signings - maybe not in the "super signings" league but very, very good solid pros.  They are certainly better than Svensson, Holt and Eddy! So if you look at it that way, progress has been made.  Also I think you´ve got to remember that squad size is important now, especially with transfer windows in place throughout the leagues.  Look at last year for us!

Remember that we have not payed a penny yet, except for a signing on fee for JJ? and wages.  To me this all indicates that

a) It is excellent business for the club

b) We can expect two or three more signings of "star" status

c) Our manager has been a very busy boy during the close season

[quote]We were warned to expect a third, surprising, signing today, and it was. So far we have signed three without any immediate outlay, apart from wages. As two come from clubs either relegated or in diff...[/quote]

I think the club realise that they have a decent starting 11 that with good application and a bit of luck will make a return to the prem next year.

What we do not have is strength in depth and running a side with Jonson and Jarvis as reserve strikers and no strikers who can hold the ball up/be a target man was not an option.  Thorne is good cover for ashton and has enough experience to be relied upon when needed and may push Leon enough to ensure he does not get complacent. Where would we sitof Ashton picks up an injury in early sept?  No transfers till Jan, no target man to fill in for 4 long months would ruin our season - the risk of relying on Jarvis and Jonson (less than 5 goals between them remember) is too great to take.

The squad fillers do not need to be prem standard - get good champs players as fillers and ditch them if we get promoted.  Whysepnd a fortune when you dont need to?  Save it for next summer when we have the opportunity to spend and actually ATTRACT the type of players who will excite us - Miller,Sidwelll, Jags, Gabbidon etc may want us then but why should they now when we are in the same league?  

OTBC

I was rather underwhelmed by Thorne''s signing to start with, but I''m coming round to it now. I wouldn''t have been happy going into the new season relying on Jarvis, Henderson or Jonson as striking cover and Thorne is a proven goal-scorer at this level and he''s cost nowt (for now)

All we need now is a defender, hopefully another Gary Holt style swap deal but this time involving Fleming. 

come on these are three good squad players that have not cost
a penny. I think were a long way from finished, and the
squad did have big holes in last year. so far we''ve attracted
a twelve goal a season back up for leon and ashton, an able
right back for helveg or whoever plays there. Jarrett is a
young lad with lots of potential and a francis replacement.

I''m fine with these signings, if we stop there then course
it''s disappointing, but I have a feeling there''s a few bigger
names still to come.

I don''t see the problem here, what did we all expect? We could "show ambition" by pushing the boat out and spending millions on players who might not fit in the team, and ultimately lead to financial problems if we don''t go up! We have not spent any money on these 3 signings, they are solid pros and as Worthy would say, they add to the squad. Remember, even without these signings we have a more than decent (if small) squad. We just need to add numbers, which is what Worthy is doing very cost-effectively, and i''m sure he''s not finished yet.

I would take Louis-Jean over Edworthy, so am happy there. I would take Jarrett over Holt, so am happy there. Thorne has more experience and better stats in the Championship than Leon, and he is free. He is obviously back-up, but someone who will challenge Leon for a place. I previously didn''t see the point in replacing Svensson, but who would you rather see come on if Deano gets injured, Thorne or Jarvis? Imagine we are in the top 2, its April, we have some tough games coming up and Deano gets an injury... we have a proven goalscorer with good stats over several seasons to come on in his place (I''m not trying to say he could be a Deano replacement though!).

I think all 3 signings so far are good business and we haven''t spent a penny. We know Worthy has money to spend, so lets see who else we get in!

El chorizo and Zippers - glad to see that some fans are appreciative of having a well run club rather than the muppets who want us to follow the likes of Ipswich and Cardiff who are having to virtually give away their players to simply survive.

In Worthy, Neil Doncaster and the Board, we have a much envied setup.  Let''s keep it that way.

while not the exciting names some expected..it is dam good bussiness, 3 experienced fizzy league players...to help get us straight back ..these guys have played in this league for a while and have the know how.   and have cost nowt...  saving money for other players or for a buy in the next window.... remember worthington said 5 players needed.. there''s at least two more to come...

not bad at all

a little bland i will admit. however, thornes goals record last season was very good. As long As Ashton, Mckenzie, Safri, Drury, Huckerby, Shackell trot out against coventry, i still feel we have enough to do the job.

[quote]A sick bloody joke are the words I''d use!. I''m furious!.[/quote]

So what are you furious about,please elucidate.3 new players ,1 proven championship goalscorer,1 proven championship midfielder,and 1 proven right back pray tell what were you expecting?

[quote]a little bland i will admit. however, thornes goals record last season was very good. As long As Ashton, Mckenzie, Safri, Drury, Huckerby, Shackell trot out against coventry, i still feel we have enou...[/quote]

Only 6 players - while they are good I would still like another 5 to start each game with them

OTBC 

[quote]So what are you furious about,please elucidate.3 new players ,1 proven championship goalscorer,1 proven championship midfielder,and 1 proven right back pray tell what were you expecting?[/quote]

He signed for Ipswich as their main striker No Legs!. 

I think we''ve done well.  At the end of the day we are having to replace squad players.  Players like Mulryne, Holt, Sven, Eddy etc were not first choice.  Therefore we have to find players who are happy to fight for their place.  I don''t think our signings show a lack of ambition at all.  I''d rather have MLJ, Jarratt and Thorne than Eddy, Holt and Sven anyday!

Its all been said really    I like the way things are going  ,  just to add that   its  STILL a team game  ...  " ordinary " players  often  become stars  IF the team clicks  !  and thats up to Worthy and staff  to work  on 

On the subject of age , and the hilarious supposition that  the big 30  is over the hill  , its rubbish ,  Sir Stanley Mathews hit his fifties before retiring !   According to the write up I read on the net  today  , he  did  what Hucks is doing now  !!   imagine that

[quote]He signed for Ipswich as their main striker No Legs!.[/quote]

Ah so you are furious because you didn''t get what you wanted,but perhaps Worthy is happy because he got exactly what he needed at a price the board loved,I reckon you''re gonna have to live with it Whiz.

Sir Stanley also walked to matches with the fans and trained after his dinner on the housing estate he lived on!! If you haven''t read his autobiography then you should, it''s brilliant. Actually, all current players should read it as well, make them realise how lucky they are to be a pro in this era.

Slightly off the topic there I know, but I don''t care!

[quote]He signed for Ipswich as their main striker No Legs!.[/quote]

If you mean Parkin I don''t think he''d be any better than Thorne. Ok he''s younger but I''m not sure either would make it in the Prem. Having seen Parkin play badly for Northampton I''m not too sorry he didn''t come here!

I think we are getting over ambitious in terms of the players we are expecting to sign! The 3 signings we''ve made will add quality and depth to an already great squad and we haven''t spent any money. When we get to the Prem in a financially secure position then we can really start splashing the cash on quality premiership players rather than expensive Championship players who are not proven at a higher level. As shown with Cresswell, Fuller, Stead and Robbie Blake - buying expensive, successful players from the Champ does not guarantee you a Prem player! Let''s be grateful we have a sensible board and manager who are not putting the future of our club in jeopardy!

Also if things are not fully going to plan in January we could then spend some money with plenty of the season remaining for success!!!

Three excellent signings – as has been said, they''re all proven at this level. What I find equally important is that all three should be extremely hungry for promotion as opposed to arrogant players like Francis who think they belong at the top and shouldn''t need to put in the work to get there.

Very good signing, im pleased, and have no complaints.
However i would like to see a bit of money now spent on players like Kristiansen and Taylor. This would give us an extra bit of quality. If he can find better options for free then fine but quality can cost

[quote]Its all been said really I like the way things are going , just to add that its STILL a team game ... " ordinary " players often become stars IF the team clicks ! and thats up to Worthy...[/quote]

Sheded: I saw Sir Stan play for Stoke against City, when he was 48 years old!, trust me, he was pitiful!.    

City won 6 nil that day, I believe the great Jim Oliver scored a hat-trick I think.

Correct me if I''m wrong on that please, as the old memory gets a bit dodgy that far back!.

[quote]Sheded: I saw Sir Stan play for Stoke against City, when he was 48 years old!, trust me, he was pitiful!. City won 6 nil that day, I believe the great Jim Oliver scored a hat-trick I think. Co...[/quote]

Crikey Wiz .. he WAS 48 !!   I think by then his legs  were telling  him to take it easy ! 

As Weston says , Stanley`s autobiography  should be read by all players , as part of their training ,  especially  Francis !! 

[quote]Crikey Wiz .. he WAS 48 !! I think by then his legs were telling him to take it easy ! As Weston says , Stanley`s autobiography should be read by all players , as part of their training , esp...[/quote]

I should have added Sheded, Sir Stan, was a true legend, a gent, brilliant ''dribbler'' and all round nice guy.

Even though he was bad that day, it still gives me a real buzz to say "I saw Stanley Matthews play at Carow Road".

I''ve never forgotten it and never will.

Does anyone have any pictures,of that day?.

[quote]Sheded: I saw Sir Stan play for Stoke against City, when he was 48 years old!, trust me, he was pitiful!. City won 6 nil that day, I believe the great Jim Oliver scored a hat-trick I think. Co...[/quote]

Great match that one was Wiz, it was actually 6-0 at half time if I remember rightly.

Waddington was their manager and they were on a big winning run. I think Mannion and Carter were also in their team along with Mathews.