Sign in to follow this  
Yellowhammer

Villa v liverpool

[quote user="thas a rummun"]Because we''re not very good?[/quote][Y]One sentence to sum it up.

Well that would explain why we couldn''t beat villa but then you''re gonna have to think of another reason to explain why we''ve caused Liverpool so many problems this season.

I think a better answer to the villa question is that we were bad on the day.

Agree, we''ve competed with Liverpool twice this season but we didn''t show up at Villa.Just the same as we didn''t turn up at Southampton, Watford & Bournemouth, all of which means that we simply surrendered valuable points at 4 of the easier away venues - taking into account that Southampton & Watford were on poor runs when we played them

Do you wish we were Villa? After all they have an owner who I was assured was the acceptable type of foreign investor and for a long time had a manager who I have been assured would never have us relegated from the PL.

Our team are still in there fighting but a lot of you appearto have given up.

Not given up nutty. Yesterday was a vast improvement on recent showings and if the boys can carry on in that vein then we should be ok. We put up a fight against a good team, so with the brickbats of last week, they deserve their bouquets this week. (Albeit small bouquets).

I''m not suggesting there should be bouquets, good job because there haven''t been. But whether people like it or not the players are still fighting and as far as I can make out a lot of posters on here have given up.

If any player or supporter has given up it would be great if they''d just feck off....

We were too deep against Villa and they were pushing against a team they clearly fancied playing. Today, look at how stretched Villa were... They didn''t know whether to attack or defend and did neither as a result. Liverpool had far more space, and better players to make them pay for their lack of courage.

Villa looked like us under Houghton, scared to have the ball.

That was why I was so angry after the Villa game. The players didn''t have any fight and it looked like they weren''t playing for Alex anymore. It looked as if they were meekly accepting their fate and that pissed me right off. I don''t know what happened during the weekly team meeting but something worked and they all played better than they have for ages.

That''s how I saw it Bor. I was impressed with Klose and Bassong yesterday. In the main they held a high line. Made a change to see opposition players continually offside. That meant our whole team was up the pitch that bit further which meant we could cause the opposition defence problems from open play. We could have beaten Villa with that performance. After all the high defensive line helped us to 4 goals against Liverpool. For all tthe crying about Liverpool''s 5 a performance like at Villa could have meant we list 6-0 too....

I agree. If we had shown a bit more courage they would have been there for our taking. Sadly we sat deep in Houghton mode and waited to be picked off. I am glad we seem to have learned from it, but am amazed we had to learn from it.

I am no football manager but if I played FIFA or whatever the kids play these days, my strategy for that game would have been to go for the throat from the whistle. I still have no idea what exactly we were trying to do again Villa.

Once again I agree Not.

But my point on this thread was that surely our past results and performances against Liverpool and Villa would be relevant to anyhand wringing over ttoday''s game between those two teams.

Jan Van Borsburg wrote the following post at 14/02/2016 5:07 PM:

I agree. If we had shown a bit more courage they would have been there for our taking. Sadly we sat deep in Houghton mode and waited to be picked off. I am glad we seem to have learned from it, but am amazed we had to learn from it.

I am no football manager but if I played FIFA or whatever the kids play these days, my strategy for that game would have been to go for the throat from the whistle. I still have no idea what exactly we were trying to do again Villa.

We did have a go at them and had a few good chances early on, it was all looking pretty good......but then...

If we had got one early on we would probably have won.