Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

What is it with Nathan............ ?

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Brady on the left. Naismith in the middle. Redmond on the right. And let''s give Bamford a go up front. It can''t be any less effective than we are at present.[/quote]

I am expecting AN to play Redmond at right back and Brady at left back. Its our new attacking formation, forget about defence.

As for Redmond I personally think it''s a combination of confidence and Alex Neil''s new persistence of 1/2 defensive minded wide players. with promotion and the change in tactics Neil has mentioned several times about defensive support from wide which has obviously now led to Howson wrongfully wide(our best all round central midfielder IMO). Personally I''d rather stick with Redmond over a longer spell and hope for some of the form that was shown end of last season.

On a seperate note....everytime he loses the ball it''s met with a jeer from the fans, I can''t see him really wanting to keep persisting with trying it if he feels like he''s doing something wrong?? it''s far easier to make a little pass and try to keep under the radar

On a seperate note....everytime he loses the ball it''s met with a jeer from the fans, I can''t see him really wanting to keep persisting with trying it if he feels like he''s doing something wrong?? it''s far easier to make a little pass and try to keep under the radar

isn''t that when you find your inner strength to prove people wrong ?

when iwan Roberts joined us he struggle but through skill and grit / desire he turned the fans around became a hero

you either stand up to be counted or you shy away we don''t pay him as well as we do or any other player to play at keeping under the radar

Where I sit at CR (front row) I have been so frustrated with Nathan on many occasions this season. He has it all in his armoury, but something has held him back from really testing full backs on a regular basis.

I did a ''Nathan watch'' last weekend, and he basically ''hid'' from receiving passes (in as much as contrived to put a Villa player in between himself and our ball player at the time). He also failed on more than one occasion to ''bust a gut'' to get into attacking position , when the ball was on the opposite flank. I wanted him to stay touchline wide last week, but he kept approx 15-20 metres inside, on that channel. Again, this must be something he is being told to do. In my eyes, he is a winger, first and foremost, then could come inside if it requires it, and should be used as such

He has ''it'', but it is not being used to it''s maximum. Why? It''s something that Alex Neil needs to address.

To try and keep the faith, I have just watched the re-run of his goal at Wembley, (where he came in from the channel I just mentioned, and ''wanted'' the ball, but this is the Premier League!) and the noise from the fans when that went in will ALWAYS raise the hairs on the back of my neck.

Come on Nathan, let''s have another moment like that

I doubt very much he''s been instructed to play in the way you describe.

I wonder if it''s the flaw endemic throughout he team - fear of failure. I''ve said it before, but I wonder if he really does have the raw pace to beat PL defenders over any distance. He seems to feel more comfortable around the box, but a RM has to be able to take on players near the half way line - as will Brady & Jarvis.

Perhaps he needs to play more in a Wes type central role, as a second striker? Have we tried him there?

Something needs to happen, because he''s certainly not progressing at the moment.

Ron, if he isn''t being instructed to play that way, then he will not last long in the squad.

Definitely confidence is a factor.

Personally I fee there are better players (Naismith for one) that could occupy the ''Wes'' role.

There may be some substance in a free ''Hucks'' type role, as in just go and find the paces, but we are not in a great position to start doing that. Pace wise, I agree, but he has enough pace and fast feet to create something quickly, and maybe Bamford could be the perfect foil for Redmond, and we may see a flourishing partnership there.

I would like to see Nathan given a more free role today, the West Ham defence needs some pace thrown at it.

Redmond could push Cresswell back, West Ham like to throw their full backs forwards so we need to give them a reason not to.
All you need to know about Redmond can be worked out from studying the lad''s haircut.

I agree that today''s game is perfect for a player like Redmond - we need to break with pace just like Wet Spam will try on us. One of our biggest problems this year is not being able to counter quick enough because Redmond has been dumped on the bench and we''re playing Howson as a winger!

Really can''t help thinking Redmond is trying to force a move. He''s gone completely backwards in his development and looks nonchalant when on the pitch. This to me says he''s looking to leave, knows a club maybe interested but NCFC won''t budge and have put a big price on his head so intern has purposefully been out of sorts so that the club drops it''s asking price. When is he out of contract? I would bet that he leaves in the summer for a low fee when before this season had started there was a lot of talk of a £15m price tag.

I, too think that we will lose NR, although I really doubt that he is ''trying to force a move,'' even though he does appear discouraged at times.

Whether we stay up or go down, I feel that Redmond will be the first to leave and that one of the newly promoted sides will offer big bucks as being most likely outcome. His reputation remains high, despite recent events.

His valuation? £10m? More? Less?

I thought he was bright, mixed it up, moved side to side, especially early on. Did his share of closing down, which I thought was a strong part of our game today.

Yes, he gave away a couple of ''easy'' balls, and certainly went a bit into his shell for a while after West Ham equalised, but overall, 10 times better than last week, and one of his better games for a very long time

He did well today. Good movement and more positive play, and his flick in the build-up to our second was sublime. We look more dangerous with him in the team rather than making Howson play out wide.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Agree Capt P, but he did actually make more challenges today than he has previously i thought, but certainly not his strength.[/quote]On a positive point I thought he did ok, probably his best performance for a while. In fact I see no reason why AN should drop him against Leicester.

Funny how people see different things! I thought he was woeful today

I though he was sublime today. That backheel flick for the second goal was marvelous. That kind of quality is only possessed by him and maybe Hoolahan. He adds a dimension to us that no other player does.

He wasn''t woeful JF. Thought he had a much, much better game than some of his recent showings.

Terrible touch on several occasions, the one that sticks out was the corner to him that he failed to control which actually resulted in a decent shot by howson. The air shot when unmarked in the area 12 yards out. Several misplaced passes when under no pressure. A moment in the second half when Klose had the ball and Redmond had acres in front of him, Klose wanted Redmond to make the run but he stayed static resulting in a bollocking from Neil. and running away from the ball when Ruddy threw it to him at the end allowing West Ham in to nearly score the winner, to name a few reasons. As I say funny how people see it differently but from my seat he was poor. Shame as I was really pleased when I saw he was starting

I just didn''t see him as an attacking threat today, he got his man booked in the first half but never attacked him again, he had the beating of him and he was on a booking but not once did he try to capitalise on that. I can''t remember a single decent delivery into the box either, or effort on goal. I''m not picking him out as a scape goat I was just think he was really poor today.

Has no confidence at all and just seems to get rid of the ball as quick as possible with a short pass to a team mate and several of these were ill judged. Dropped out of a few tackles again. No idea what his role was today, appeared to play everywhere apart from the right wing where it would have been expected he could have caused the opponents problems. Looked as if he was under continual instruction from AN. I noticed he was always blaming his team mates if anything went wrong. As others have stated he looks like a player who wants a move. I also have the impression that his "England write ups" have led him to think he deserves a better Club. To be totally fair the contributions from Hoolahan and Naismith were not much better today.

Well, once we are confirmed down, he will no doubt be the first to leave the club, its just a matter of how much we get for him. He was always going to go at some point, the summer looks the perfect time.

I thought he had a decent game. We look a better team with him.

Been left out too much, imo.