Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Substitutions

Yesterday we saw just what positive substitutions can do from Slaven Bilic.

Can anyone tell me when Neil has made a substitution that has had a positive effect for us this season because I am struggling to remember any?

Maybe if he had brought Bamford on to stretch the play for us we would be lauding Alex Neil for a positive substitution instead of his usual like for like ones!

Swansea at home when Mbokani came on and we only then really got on the front foot before scoring

Southampton at home when VOO came on and looked sharp - created Tettey''s goal

Everton at home when Bennett came on at half time resulting in a much better second half

Not sure of any others off the top of my head, could be some more.

Can anyone tell me when Alex has had quality equivalent to Carroll and Moses to bring off the bench?

I''m interested to know what you would have done to change the outcome on Saturday.... Go ahead humour us with you knowledge

I would have taken jerome off and replaced with bamford and Brady off and replaced with Olsen earlier after first goal down just about enough time !

I wouldn''t have taken off Brady, I''d have put him up to LW and Olsson to LB taking off Naismith who was clearly done by that point.

I did question at the time why changes weren''t made, especially after the 1st goal - by the time changes were made it was 2-2 and all far too late!

It wasn''t about the substitutions it was bad game play when were two goals up.

Their fist goal was a break away. That is shocking. We were two up and had so many players ahead of the ball that they broke away and scored! Same thing happened twice against Liverpool.

When you''re winning you need to change the mindset - get behind the ball, look to stay in shape of two banks of four and break up the play to prevent the opposition from building up a head of steam.

As far as substitutions are concerned. I would have left the defense alone (its bad enough changing it every week but we are changing it mid game now as well!) and taken Redmond off as as so much was coming down our right hand side that Martin could have done with a bit of defensive cover from midfield.

I probably would have got Bamford on. I think there was scope for it and the Dorrans sub signified we were more comfortable getting the point than going for the kill - though I do accept we did still push forward.

If Bamford isn''t there to get you a winning goal then why have him?