Sign in to follow this  
cccanary

55 Years Ago Today

Just realised that the first match I watched at Carrow Road was 55 years ago today - February 18th 1961.

City v Sunderland...5th round of the FA Cup....crowd of 41,949...electric atmosphere...Charlie Hurley scored for Sunderland in front of the Barclay and Sunderland went on to win 1 - 0.

I was gutted but hooked.... been coming back for more ever since.

Great memory there ,my first was a midweek match v Southampton cup match and we lost 2-1 I think, Ron Davies scored for them as we had just sold him to them! Over 30,000 packed in the ground and the atmosphere was terrific. Started going to almost every match then ,the 1972 season was the best ever for me, stringer and Forbes has to be the best combination ever.

Just looked up this match was in fact 1968 attendance was 25,000 and we lost 0-4 with Ron Davies scoring .seemed a lot more people to me but I was only 12!

I was there, I was 12.Not my first match though as I started going when I was 9.Stood in the South Stand (not sure it was called that then) and could hardly see a thing.Jam packed full and a fantastic atmosphere.

64 years for me, that 50/51 season where we ran Forest close but not close enough in the old 3rd division south. Mind you, we left the binners trailing way behind.

[quote user="Making Plans"]Was also at Leicester 30th March 1963 FA Cup Quarter Final - 43,984 (record crowd)We lost that too.[/quote]That was my 3rd game following beating Stoke 6-0 in a League game and Newcastle 5-0 in the previous round.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]
You old timers need to be put out to pasture and let us youngsters determine the best way forward for the club.
[/quote]And the best way forward for the Club is not to boycott the FA Cup.So many great games, so many City legends, so many memories.And what will the youngsters of today have to remember in 50 years time - losing to Luton, not getting past Round 3 for a generation and not experiencing a proper Cup run.If you were around from the 50''s to the 80''s then the FA Cup mattered.And it still does.

I''m impressed! In a fortnight it will be only the 43rd anniversary of my first game, our first Wembley cup final appearance (League cup 1973). I''m 53 now but remember it well.

You lot remember the games before I was born.....

[quote user="Jan Van Borsburg"]64 years for me, that 50/51 season where we ran Forest close but not close enough in the old 3rd division south. Mind you, we left the binners trailing way behind.[/quote]I think that makes you the "Elder Statesman" Bor.My dad took me to a few games in the 53/54 season but he worked most Saturdays so it wasn''t regular for my first couple of seasons and I can''t really recall my first game and who we played.I started going to every game in the 1955/56 season with my uncle and cousin. We were terrible and finished stone last in the old 3rd Division South.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Jan Van Borsburg"]64 years for me, that 50/51 season where we ran Forest close but not close enough in the old 3rd division south. Mind you, we left the binners trailing way behind.[/quote]I think that makes you the "Elder Statesman" Bor.My dad took me to a few games in the 53/54 season but he worked most Saturdays so it wasn''t regular for my first couple of seasons and I can''t really recall my first game and who we played.I started going to every game in the 1955/56 season with my uncle and cousin. We were terrible and finished stone last in the old 3rd Division South.[/quote]
Be careful Ricardo or your memory will start to turn to mush ( like mine ). We were not too bad in the 1955/56 season....it was the following season that the nightmare happened. 
Incidentally, I went to my first game the season before Bor ( Ipswich in the spring ) but I think there''s one or two that lurk on here that attended back in the Forties.

Be careful Ricardo or your memory will start to turn to mush ( like mine ). We were not too bad in the 1955/56 season....it was the following season that the nightmare happened. 
Incidentally, I went to my first game the season before Bor ( Ipswich in the spring ) but I think there''s one or two that lurk on here that attended back in the Forties.
[/quote]Yes, that''s right Bobby Brennan got kicked out by Tom Parker and had to go and play at Yarmouth Town and didn''t come back until the tail end of the 56/57 season.So 56/57 must have been the season we had to chuck shillings in the blankets.[:D]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]
[/quote]Yes, that''s right Bobby Brennan got kicked out by Tom Parker and had to go and play at Yarmouth Town and didn''t come back until the tail end of the 56/57 season.So 56/57 must have been the season we had to chuck shillings in the blankets.[:D][/quote]
Shillings!!!  You must have come from a wealthy background. I only ever had the heavy stuff to throw....coppers. ( Sorry, Mr. Tilson ).

I think my first game was at home against Sheffield United in the FA Cup in 1997. I went with my youth club and was totally hooked from that moment onwards. I think Norwich won 1-0 with John Polston scoring the only goal of the game.

Might not be as exciting as some of you ol'' timers, but in my time I''ve already seen 2 play-off finals and a trip to Wembley, 4 promotions and 3 relegations

AJ, your times are as "golden" to you as were ours to many of us that can''t get to the games anymore. You already seem to recognize the wonderful enjoyment of the ups and downs, and that''s great. Thirty or forty years from now they will be even more cherished memories for you.

AJ, your times are as "golden" to you as were ours to many of us that can''t get to the games anymore. You already seem to recognize the wonderful enjoyment of the ups and downs, and that''s great. Thirty or forty years from now they will be even more cherished memories for you.
[/quote]Will they still remember us then Yankee?

Having met Bor, Mr.Chops or whatever he calls himself these days many of us on here are old enough to be his father so don''t be fooled by his posts. [;)]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]So 56/57 must have been the season we had to chuck shillings in the blankets.[:D][/quote]
Shillings!!!  You must have come from a wealthy background. I only ever had the heavy stuff to throw....coppers. ( Sorry, Mr. Tilson ).[/quote]When you think how heavy those old coins were it must have been a risky business carrying those blankets. Those old coppers, half crowns and even the thru''penny bits were heavy and many of them were thrown from way back in the stands. Each blanket had a crowd following behind collecting all the coins that missed (which was most of them). Brave people. [:)]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]
[/quote]Will they still remember us then Yankee?[/quote]
The answer is yes, Ricardo, because at the very least this forum will still exist in its present form without modification. All history maintained, kind of like Stonehenge.

Brilliant Yankee, at this rate we''ll have hover-boards, flying self-driving cars etc. but this forum will be Grade I listed!

As for the memories, I suppose that much is true. I haven''t seen us win a cup, or play in Europe (well, not live anyway..) but in the relatively short time I''ve supported them there''s been a lot going on. Well, after the first 5 years or so it took us to stop being a bottom-half Championship side!