Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

FA Cup - no replays?

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35587212Won''t affect us of course as we''ve already decided to boycott Round 4 and Round 3 replays.However, this is a naff idea & will only serve to kill the FA Cup off even quicker.Another kick in the teeth for smaller clubs & supporters everywhereShameful and totally unnecessary

Replays just add extra fixture congestion to the big four in the champions league.

Terrible idea.

Ruin it for the majority by changing it to suit the minority.

It''s bad enough that all FA Cup games don''t start at 3 on a Sat.

And as for the semi finals at Wembley Nooooo

More errosion of the magic of the cup

We''ll up end with the FA cup being turned into the Second String Shield at this rate...

They should keep the replays - if teams want to avoid fixture congestion they should win the first tie. Why not make the League Cup Football League teams only (no Prem) and scrap the JPT?

I kinda get the fixture congestion argument - and when, the season after next, we''re having to juggle Champions League football with our domestic campaign I''m sure we''ll think that the FA Cup is just a sideshow to the main event.

People moan about Russ Martin now, what are they going to be like when he fails to contain Messi because he is shattered from playing a midweek cup replay, followed by a league match on Saturday?

On a more serious note....

I''d keep the FA Cup as it is. It is the most prestigious domestic cup competition in the world and does generate interest (read £s) from all over the world. Also, the ''big'' clubs have such enormous squads that I can''t feel sorry for them when Wenger, Van Gaal et al moan that players are tired.

Instead I''d totally reform the League Cup. I''d essentially make it like the JPT but with Championship/Prem Clubs. This would include:

> ''Regional'' (as far as possible - broken up into N, S, E and W groups) up to the semi-final stage. This would have the potential benefits of less travelling for teams and fans and more chance of derbies - resulting in more interest and bigger crowds.

> All rounds single legged with no extra time - straight to penalties if required. Perhaps keep extra time for the final.

TBH, I think the league cup, without serious reform, will go in the near future. You look at the interest in it from even the small clubs and it can''t really be said to be sustainable. The ''prize'' is really a duffer as well - entry to the Europa League with it''s million-billion fixtures.

Looking further into the future I can forsee the ''top'' clubs breaking away to form a European League (I think a lot of people think this might happen). This will obviously damage the FA and Premier League brands massively and will only be sanctioned (insofar as the FA can control these clubs) if it is agreed that English ''EuroLeague'' teams field first 11 sides in the FA cup.

Wow, that turned into a bit of an essay. Sorry about that...

Sadly, we have to accept  the cups are  no longer the prestigious competitions they once were. Most of the bigger clubs rest most of their first team players for cup games (even Ipswich sent a second string out at Old Trafford earlier this season) unless they reach the later stages, The priority for about forty of the top clubs is simple - reach the Premier League or stay there at all costs.Which brings me to my main point. Because clubs treat the cups as second rate, the Premier League and the Football league should do the same. Instead of playing cup games on Saturdays, they should all be played midweek which would enable the clubs to field their strongest sides on a regular basis at weekends. Let''s face it, cup replays have always been held in midweek and it''s never been a problem. Just recently we had a blank Saturday and then a Tuesday night game v Spurs which I feel would have been easier for most supporters and especially the traveling fans if this game had been played on the Saturday.

"Back in the day" the top clubs would play in Division 1, The FA Cup, The League Cup and one of the European Cup/Cup Winners Cup/Fairs Cup.The FA Cup had replays that went on over any number of games until there was a winner, without extra time & penalty shoot outs.The European Cups were home & away all the way though and the top clubs who made it through to finals could easily play up to 60 or 70 games a season.And all with a first team squad of 16 or 17 regular players.Players are supposed to healthier & fitter nowadays, Clubs have squads of 25 players, & yet they whinge when they have to play 50 games a season.It''s tragic what Foreign Owners & Foreign Managers are doing to our FA Cup.A plague on their houses

Makes me laugh ,these days players are paid a fortune some sit on the bench each week ,some don''t play,but they can''t play two matches a week. Need to have Ron Saunders training them doing piggy backs up and down mousehole heath

The FA Cup deserves no sympathy.

The FA devalued the competition the day they decided to play the semi-finals at Wembley, no doubt for monetary reasons.

The Carling Cup, or whatever it might be called this year, works well with midweek matches and no replays, so no reason why the FA Cup should not benefit as well.

Smaller clubs surely have a better chance of progressing in the cup over one match rather than two, so it doesn''t necessarily mean the end of giant-killing.

Of the top two divisions, only the mid-table clubs are able to take the competition seriously. Times have changed, and the competition needs to change with it.

The competition is constantly being devalued. They will be having the draw on The One Show next. This Saturday we have Reading v West Brom and Watford v Leeds at 3 oclock. Magic of the Cup.

It''s another nail in the coffin of tradition and the smaller clubs. If Carlisle drew Arsenal in the 3rd round on a Saturday - day out for them, chance for kids to experiences big club, plenty of gate receipts to keep the club going.

Wednesday night - few travelling fans, poor atmosphere, less gate receipts, and no chance for kids to go if they are at school.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Sadly, we have to accept  the cups are  no longer the prestigious competitions they once were. Most of the bigger clubs rest most of their first team players for cup games (even Ipswich sent a second string out at Old Trafford earlier this season) unless they reach the later stages, The priority for about forty of the top clubs is simple - reach the Premier League or stay there at all costs.Which brings me to my main point. Because clubs treat the cups as second rate, the Premier League and the Football league should do the same. Instead of playing cup games on Saturdays, they should all be played midweek which would enable the clubs to field their strongest sides on a regular basis at weekends. Let''s face it, cup replays have always been held in midweek and it''s never been a problem. Just recently we had a blank Saturday and then a Tuesday night game v Spurs which I feel would have been easier for most supporters and especially the traveling fans if this game had been played on the Saturday.[/quote]Today''s game between Arsenal and Hull proves my point perfectly. Arsenal have made nine changes to their team whilst Hull have made ten. It is to all extents and purposes a reserve game so why not play it mid week?"Hull sit on top of the Championship and face two tough assignments in

the space of four nights next week courtesy of Tuesday’s trip to

play-off chasing Ipswich Town and Friday’s televised home game with

Sheffield Wednesday.

The Owls are in action today, at Preston North End, along with

Burnley, Derby County and Brighton & Hove Albion, meaning the top of

the table could be even more concertinaed by 5pm.

With that trip to Portman Road in mind, Bruce will rest a host of key players today against the Cup holders.

“It

is quite simple for me,” said the City chief. “We want to be playing

Arsenal twice next year. We want to play Liverpool, Manchester City and

Manchester United. We want to be back in the Premier League."

Meanwhile.......

"Mesut Ozil, Alexis Sanchez, Aaron Ramsey and Petr Cech are among the

Arsenal stars given a breather as Arsene Wenger makes nine changes for

Saturday’s FA Cup clash against Hull.

With pivotal fixtures against Barcelona and Manchester United next

week, Wenger has named a much-changed team for the fifth-round match at

Emirates Stadium."

The FA Cup is now, like it or not, a second rate competition played by second string teams so it''s time to give Saturdays back to the games that matter - the leagues.

Are we not feeling the magic of the cup today? Wouldn''t it be rather lovely if say 7 of the games were today at 3pm and 1 live game tomorrow,regardless of whether we were involved or not.

Apparently Steve Bruce has given his support for doing away with Cup replays. Wonder if he is feeling the same way now after watching Hull somehow come away from The Emirates stadium with a draw and the replay probably to shown on TV as well. More money for him to spend!

Got to say, Hulls keeper was absolutely outstanding, sign him up!!

It''s all aimed at the BIG clubs, too many games ? Well that''s down to changing the format of the Champions League. If they want to reduce games played, go back to the old ways, Only the Champions of each country qualify and it''s a knock out competition from the start.  

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]It''s all aimed at the BIG clubs, too many games ? Well that''s down to changing the format of the Champions League. If they want to reduce games played, go back to the old ways, Only the Champions of each country qualify and it''s a knock out competition from the start.   [/quote]

Some of the big clubs want the last sixteen to be a group stage as well in the CL as it was up until a few years ago with the knock out only commencing at the quarter final stages.So, rather than play two last sixteen matches they''d rather commit to three times that amount again. The buggers won''t be "tired" for those games, will they?Was it the 80-81 season that saw Liverpool play over 50 games using only 14 players in total for the whole season?