Sign in to follow this  
Bannana Boy

A Closed Shop

Imagine in a few years time - say a decade - the top Premier League sides, the ''Money Men'' and the Broadcasters finally decide they''ve had enough of having to share the wealth and vote to turn the Premier League into a closed shop a la the NFL, MLS etc.

Where would you stand? Would you want Norwich to be part of this, or on the outside? And - do you think this will ever happen?

Me - despite the fact that this league would undoubtedly attract the best/better players and it would be where all the ''glory'' would be I wouldn''t want any part of it. I don''t think....

I don''t think it''ll be a PL closed shop that we need to worry about. Personally I can potentially see a future of a ''European Super League'' closed shop in the future. The likes of Barcelona, Real, Man Utd, PSG, Juve etc all playing in a closed league.

Personally I don''t think it could work long term because it would get stale very quickly. The only reason the NFL etc works is because of the draft system, if you''re crap one year you get the pick of the best young players coming through still creating a bit of intrigue. Without that all you have is a load of rich clubs getting richer playing each other 2/4 times a year for yonks on end. Great. In the meantime domestic league will continue as they are which is where Norwich will be. Actually thinking about it, i''d quite like the big boys to trundle off, it would make the PL far more interesting again!

True.  Can you imagine how tedious it would be for us if we were in the Prem right now and there was no relegation ?  We''d have absolutely nothing to play for, given our league position - what would be the point ?

I think any European Super League would rapidly be of no interest to fans. Champions League is dull now as it is always the same teams.

Fans want to travel away, regular European trips would be too expensive for most.

Most importantly, football is talking and laughing with your mates. I work with fans of Charlton, Bolton, Man Utd, Arsenal, Leeds, ManCity, Blackpool, Preston, Hull, Wolves, Newcastle and others. Not Real Madrid, AC Milan, Juventus and Bayern. Where is the fun in playing them?

I completely agree FCC. However as we are aware, season ticket holders make up a tiny percent of a clubs revenue. If they think they can get a mega TV deal from a European Super League then it could easily become a reality. The clubs of that size would still be able to fill their grounds full of tourists (who also would have a higher secondary spend), but I completely agree it would get very dull and tedious to watch after a couple of years.