Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Redmond unleashed!

Don''t know if this is old news, but it appears to be from a new interview from Neil:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/norwich-city/shackles_are_off_norwich_city_midfielder_nathan_redmond_ahead_of_premier_league_run_in_1_4424972

“I think it was a symptom of the fact during the bad run we have focused on what we do without the ball and trying to keep clean sheets so maybe we are asking Nathan to do something that is not his strength, by dropping him into a deeper area and asking him to break from there,” said Neil.

“I think for me his strength and quality is when he is further up the pitch. We have to try and give him that licence with the way we shape up the team.”

Wow!!

It seems to be the general opinion that we will lose NR during the Summer whether we stay up or not.

I, for one, feel that this will be a dark day for the Club.

Outstanding when he plays for his country, the player seems to have stood still or even gone backwards recently.

The crowd grow impatient with him and some would even welcome the day he departs.

Unbelievable for, although he has his perceived faults(as often pointed out on this forum) including a certain degree of inconsistency and an inability to perform his so-called ''defensive obligations,'' I, personally, do not blame the player himself.

His inconsistencies, such as they are, stem from a lack of confidence which is partly caused by adverse crowd reaction and by the lack of clarity in his selection.

He is capable of being our most potent attacking force so as, AN seems to have finally hinted as suggested in the OP, his defensive frailties should be considered as being largely irrelevant. You cannot expect both.

Nathan Redmond would be my first name on our team sheet more or less every time. This would be a major step in getting the very best of his talent. He needs security of tenure and to be used in a consistent way.

This in-out, in-out, nonsense is a sure fire way of not getting the best from him.

I will regret the day he leaves for pastures new and, hopefully a more appreciative set-up.

He will blossom.

I agree with Broadstairs, maybe AN''s now letting him off the leash, is part of negotiations on a new contract. Redmond wanting to start more games etc.

Unfortunately, in the modern game, the ability to provide cover is an essential requirement for any player, no matter what his position. Mbokani got slated on here for a clumsy tackle in our own half which led to the first Villa goal (he then got slated for not beating Lescott to the ball to prevent the goal).

I think it''s a big problem for Redmond to play at the highest level. Still, he is what he is, & let''s hope he can regain form if given more freedom.

I certainly want to see Redmond playing further up the pitch as this where he can do other teams damage and certainly makes them defend deeper which helps out the rest of the team. Hopefully he can then regain some of his confidence which has been missing for a while now.

Major concern with this approach though is if he plays on the right wing (which is most likely) who plays at right back ?? It can''t be that liability Russell Martin because he struggles even when he has some protection from the right sided mid fielders. From what we have seen of Pinto he doesnt seem to be the immediate answer either - for me it has to be either Whittaker or Wisdom - with Whittaker just pipping it (he isn''t as bad as some make out on here and is in my view our best defensive right back)

Whereas I feel Redmond could still be a very useful player for us do not be fooled by ...... "Outstanding when he plays for his country".

It is far different playing against Premiership defences than it is playing against the Under 21 defences of Switzerland, Norway, Kazakhstan or Bosnia and Herzegovina as he has done recently.

Disagree with that YW.

What is it about the Canary fan-base that it habitually puts our own players down?

Redmond has played 25 games for the Under 21 England team alone (along with representing at younger levels.) you carefully selected four of the weakest opponents to make your point.

He has, very, very, more often than not, received well-deserved praise for his performances.

His constant selection and performances at international level are something for us supporters to be proud of, rather than deride.

If he goes to the right club when he leaves us I, for one, would not rule out him representing the England at the highest level at some stage in the future.

How about 3 CBs with Wisdom at the right of the trio? I seem to remember he likes to play at CB. Martin could then play as a wing back - he seems to do well linking up with Redmond & is capable of scoring himself.

Brady LWB, Tettey as sole DM (we''re thinking attack!) MF 3 from Naismith/Redmond/Howson/Wes/ O''Neil. Striker from Jerome/Mbokani/Bamford .

Could be fun! or a disaster ..

Broadstairs - I made it clear with my first few words that I feel Redmond can be very useful for us. What I am saying is, don''t get carried away with reports of international matches against teams who are not very good compared to Premiership teams.

I did not carefully select four of the weakest teams to make a point. Those four teams are the teams that England have in their group in the Euro Under 21 championships.

It would be a shame if we lost him in the summer. But despite improving to some degree, he has never really fulfilled his full potential with us.

BroadstairsR wrote the following post at 19/02/2016 1:05 PM:What is it about the Canary fan-base that it habitually puts our own players down?

--------------

irony.

On the subject of Redmond, we have to do all we can to keep this young talent...unless of course we get a ridiculous offer for him.

Its certainly not a foregone conclusion that he is off in the summer. If we go down that''s obviously more likely but not certain. I just want to express how totally pissed off I feel when I hear morons in the crowd moaning and waiting excitedly for him to make a mistake. It''s become a standing joke around us now that everytime the team makes a mistake we blame Nathan, I think one of two of his detractors are begining to get the message!

The number of our fans who have, essentially, written him off is quite astonishing really.

Nathan Redmond is as talented a player as we''re likely to attract and we have to do everything to keep him - even if we do go down.

Is he the best player in the world? No, of course not. But without being ''little ole Norwich'' about things we wouldn''t have him if he was.

@MrJenkins - I second your peed-off-ness, and not just about NR. Fortunately there aren''t too many of that ilk around me but those that are really do everything to make themselves heard. I genuinely don''t understand some people. Its as though they get out of bed on a Saturday, have a quick look through our squad and decide who that day''s scapegoat is going to be.

Indeed, I think too many people forget the lad is only 21 years old. Although I don''t believe in the whole scapegoat thing, I think people just have opinion about different players, the people slating Redmond seem to think he''s reached his potential...at 21. Theres no doubt that he''s frustrating to watch, but he''s a valuable player for us. (and is also our top scorer).

Only 21.................just.  He''s actually 22 in about a fortnight, so are we going to then say "Oh but he''s only 22"?  He''s older than Stones, older than Alli, younger by 2/3 months than Barkley, older than Sterling, to name but a few, all of whom are knocking on the door or playing for England seniors.  If he''s anywhere as good as some on here would have us believe, then Redmond would surely be being mentioned at least by Hodgson with the Euros fast approaching, but we hear nothing.  We hear nothing because he''s nowhere near the reckoning like John Ruddy.As for being our ''top scorer'', get the bloody facts right, he''s our joint top scorer alongside Hoolahan, Howson and Mbokani, and he last scored against Newcastle on 18 October 2015...............hardly prolific.

Whatever league we are in next season I think it''s inveitable that he''ll leave in the summer.

''''Only 21.................just. He''s actually 22 in about a fortnight, so are we going to then say "Oh but he''s only 22"? He''s older than Stones, older than Alli, younger by 2/3 months than Barkley, older than Sterling, to name but a few, all of whom are knocking on the door or playing for England seniors. If he''s anywhere as good as some on here would have us believe, then Redmond would surely be being mentioned at least by Hodgson with the Euros fast approaching, but we hear nothing. We hear nothing because he''s nowhere near the reckoning like John Ruddy.

As for being our ''top scorer'', get the bloody facts right, he''s our joint top scorer alongside Hoolahan, Howson and Mbokani, and he last scored against Newcastle on 18 October 2015...............hardly prolific. ''''......OR

Exactly....i''ve no problem with NR, given what we paid for him. I just think that he''s peaked, maybe temporarily, maybe permanently. Some eejit club may give us silly money for him and he may, or may not, progress. So far this season he''s done nothing to prove that he''s anywhere near Stones, Barkley, Alli or Kane. He''s not being talked about, except by us.............that alone must tell y''all summat.

Perhaps the way the England team set up suits him better, some of the greatest wingers we had in the past 50 years did not have to be fullbacks.

The idea that Redmond has peaked intrigues me.

What do you mean by that, that''s he''s already played his best football and will only perform at a lower level than that for the rest of his career?

That''s quite prediction to make about such a young player. And frankly it''s a foolish ill founded remark IMO.

He has a lot of talent and his main attribute is raw pace, he certainly needs to work hard on his game and practice, he''s far from the finished article. The ball is in his court and if you are right that he has peaked what you are really saying is that he''s not prepared to put in the work to improve.

Personally I really don''t think that''s the case.

Its pretty obvious the defence that Alex picks each game leaks goals no matter what we do this season, but its partly to do with our midfield also. Also looking odds on to go down, so heck, why not just Redders, why doesnt Alex give all the attacking midfielders and forwards carte blanche to just go out and go for it. Why not just give Howson  his freedom to bomb forward  down the central lane, Redders on the right, Naisy stretching oppo midfielders  hither and thither, play Bamford to...i dont know, seems to me if Alex said guys, dont get down about the defensive side of things,  just  go out, enjoy yourselves, fear nothing, and just bomb forward. It may be the naive way of playing 90 minutes of football, but its dang entertaining.Just get the feeling we have a heap of players at the club who could really have fun attacking together, to much this season theyve got bogged down with the defensive frailties.

[quote user="daly"]Perhaps the way the England team set up suits him better, some of the greatest wingers we had in the past 50 years did not have to be fullbacks.[/quote] Perhaps that''s why the England U21s always qualify for tournament finals and then, when they come up against the good sides who play like their seniors, fade ignominiously away. If Redmond continues to be a liability defensively, he may feature occasionally for England but will never be a regular at senior level (much like Walcott).

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="daly"]Perhaps the way the England team set up suits him better, some of the greatest wingers we had in the past 50 years did not have to be fullbacks.[/quote] Perhaps that''s why the England U21s always qualify for tournament finals and then, when they come up against the good sides who play like their seniors, fade ignominiously away. If Redmond continues to be a liability defensively, he may feature occasionally for England but will never be a regular at senior level (much like Walcott).[/quote]I assume you are basing that on the last tournament England u21''s played in? And not the previous few tournaments in which they did pretty well in. During the last tournament, Redmond was the only England player to be selected in the team of the tournament.Harsh reality is, other players such as Lindgaard will reach the full England squad before Redmond, not because they are better, but because they play for bigger clubs.

Not sure what you mean by "did pretty well". In the 9 U21 Championships between 2000 and 2015, we have reached the Final once (2009, lost 0:4 to Germany) and Semi-Final once (2007). We have twice failed to qualify, and in the remaining 5 tournaments, including the last three, we have gone out at the group stage. The last time we actually won it was 1984. Redmond was indeed the only England player to be selected in the 2015 team of the tournament, but that doesn''t mean he would have got into any of the teams who made it beyond the group stage. As always, we over-rate our home-grown players. It does them no service.