Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Hucks v Redders

Both wingers, both exciting to watch, both game changers, both highly skillful  BUT..........Neither known for their defensive capabilities and yet one is a legend whilst the other is regularly criticised for not defending back.Why?I''m not saying Redmond is as skillful as Hucks, I just wonder why Hucks seemed to escape the criticism Redmond gets when they were both cr@p at defending?

[quote user="lappinitup"]Both wingers, both exciting to watch, both game changers, both highly skillful  BUT..........Neither known for their defensive capabilities and yet one is a legend whilst the other is regularly criticised for not defending back.Why?I''m not saying Redmond is as skillful as Hucks, I just wonder why Hucks seemed to escape the criticism Redmond gets when they were both cr@p at defending?[/quote]

Huckerby could do things that made the hair stand up on the back of your neck.Redmond needs gel just to make his own hair stand up.

Different eras - wingers like Hux don''t really exist any more. And he was outrageously gifted, so you''d sacrifice a lot to accommodate him Also interesting to note he could receive the ball on the half way line & beat defenders for sheer pace; I''ve never seen Redmond do that.

One had a bad game once in a blue moon & the other has a good game once in a blue moon.One excited you at least once a game the other excites you once in 10 gamesNo prizes for guessing which one is which

Because Hucks had the ability to change the game single handedly in our favour and often did.  Redders has had some good moments but has only shown ability in flashes.

Bit bizarre trying to compare them really. Can Redders come on and make good on the promise he has shown so far ?  Time will tell but it''s disappointing he hasn''t pushed on this season.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

[quote user="Kidderminster Exile"]Wingers like Hux didnt'' exist when Hux played, he was a one off[/quote]

Spot on. 

[/quote]There has never been anyone at CR who could electrify a crowd like Huckerby.We won''t see his like again.

Hucks was a player with raw talent which he never allowed anyone to coach out of him and he remained that raw talent to the end of his playing career.   To me, Redmond has raw talent too and is a player eager to learn and develop, but in doing that he is losing some of what made him so exciting in the first place.  Being eager to take on things that people say to him is an admirable trait, but at some stage he has to take the responsibilty for his own performances and be just a little more direct in his play.  Imo it''s up to him. The fact that Neil has come and and said something about removing the shackles, is imo good management as it may clear Redmonds mind a little, but really, he is old enough and experienced enough to be able to work out how to get the best out of himself.

I don''t think it''s the defensive side to Redmond game that people are complaining about. It''s the fact he doesn''t take on his man, use his pace to beat the full back etc. If he''s making things happen going forward then we can forgive him for not doing the defensive side.

Is it a coincidence that he''s been at his best this season at the start of the season when we were attacking teams. Maybe the change of tactics in the last few months have stifled his attacking.

Personally think he will move on in the summer whatever division we are in. And we will get good money for him to. So probably suit all parties.

I wish Redmond was half the player Huckerby was. Just no comparison. What Huckerby gave going forwards was worth sacrificing the defensive side of his game. Redmond doesn''t offer any where near enough attacking threat to allow such a free role.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Both wingers, both exciting to watch, both game changers, both highly skillful  BUT..........[/quote]
Do you mind if I just correct this a bit?
[quote user="lappinitup"]Both wingers[/quote]
I think the similarity ends there.

I wouldn''t class Redmond as a winger at all to be honest, I think he''s a right sided forward. He can either play on the right of a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 but I think he''s absolutely hopeless at running from deep, trying to beat a man on the sprint, picking a pass or running on the counter and at getting crosses in. He''s awesome technically in and around the penalty box but I don''t see him as a right midfielder at all.

Huckerby was lazy defensively sure, but he was a proper winger in the way he played. I think comparing Redmond to Hoolahan or in Huckerby''s time Graham Stuart

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]It really is no contest - a better one would be Eadie v Redmond, at least that one is close.[/quote]My OP was never about which was the better player - but why Redmond gets the stick on here for not helping the defenders out when Hucks never did. If Hucks was still playing, do you think fans would let him get away with standing on the halfway line while the team were struggling to get the ball away even allowing for his undoubted skills?

[quote user="lappinitup"]My OP was never about which was the better player - but why Redmond gets the stick on here for not helping the defenders out when Hucks never did. If Hucks was still playing, do you think fans would let him get away with standing on the halfway line while the team were struggling to get the ball away even allowing for his undoubted skills? [/quote]1. Because Hucks did the business at the other end, Redmond doesn''t.2. Yes, because of 1.

[quote user="Daz Sparks"]Hucks could do this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO11cu-N6f8Redmond..... well for me, the jury is still out.

[/quote]made the hairs stand up again.Redmond is not in the same league as Hucks...simples

Surely the fairest comparison is to look at what 21 year old Nathan Redmond and 21 year old Darren Huckerby have achieved in their careers by the same stage?

Huckerby had moved from Lincoln City to Newcastle, where he didn''t play. He then went to Millwall on loan for a bit and did ok. Before signing for Coventry where he had a modest season playing up front (5 goals in 25 games). One could argue that Redmond has actually achieved more in professional football at this stage.

Huckerby was a wonderful player for this club. But also arrived pretty much at his physical and mental peak. Redmond has arrived very much in the infancy of his career still.

Can Redmond be as good at his peak as Huckerby was? That will be an incredibly tough ask. But I think comparisons, whilst inevitable due to their style, are slightly unfair at this stage.

Eadies Left, Hucks Right, Iwans Heed, Holts Laugh!"]Two words - ADAM DRURY Solid as a rock for so many years and could mark a man and got ball almost everytime he went to ground. Our current captain doesn''t have the say defensive qualities!

Two more words...Gary Holt. Ask Hucks. He will tell you that Three Lungs was his cover.

Redderz shouldn''t get as much stick as he does for standing around on the half way line or jogging back rather than defending properly. If you watch most of the goals we concede, he''s far from alone and sometimes it''s actually our defenders jogging back!

Lets remember that Hux arrived here a finished article in his prime, whereas Redmond is still very young with lots to learn.

But I also second the notion that Adam Drury was massively underrated with Hux in front of him. Drury had to be one of the best left backs in England throughout most of his NCFC career - rarely missed a tackle and covered so much defensive ground with Hux in front of him.

Sometimes it is not always about an individual but about small partnerships across the pitch. Hux and Drury had a good partnership that also led to close friendship off the pitch as well. It is hard to compare Martin and Redmond to Hux and Drury because the dynamic is different.