Sign in to follow this  
andrew norwichcity

Team vs Leicester

Noticed this hasn''t been posted yet and wanted to see what people think. Who shall we start? Right now there is probably a split view on who should start everywhere!

I think Ruddy will start because he didn''t have a bad game against West Ham. Defence is a tough one because Martin has been so out of form and the only other RB I have any faith in is Wisdom who has been injured, Bennett deserves another start but AN likes Bassong and then at LB you have Brady who I think would be better at left midfield because we need help going forward.

Midfield is up in the air, we have started what feels like every combination possible and still no consistency. Up front Mbokani shows signs of being a good hold the ball up striker but I personally like Jerome. Bamford is unknown and does deserve a chance.

I have a feeling we might go defensive and look for breakaway play and in all fairness if we can hold out for a draw that is better than losing. Again.

oi

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/3349463/ShowPost.aspx

agree with you on Bennett (if we are going to play 4 at the back) - would love to see him Klose.

Tough one really. I know who I would like to see start but I know full well Martin, Bassong & Brady will all be in the back 4. The lineup will be something like:

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Klose Brady

Tettey O''Neill

Howson Naismith Hoolahan

Jerome

Would like to see something like:

Ruddy

Wisdom Bennett Klose Olsson

Tettey Howson

Vadis Naismith Brady

Jerome

The key to this game is absorbing pressure and then having options to break quickly and stretch the Leicester side, so we need to go for mobility and the ability to run channels.  On that basis I would select
                 Ruddy
Martin   Klose   Bassong   Olsson
             Tettey    O''Neil
 Redmond      Naismith        Brady
                       Jerome
The key players in this line up is O''Neil who is not our best midfield player but is the only one calm enough to pick a decent pass to the players who can hit them on the break... and Tettey, who is an awful passer but a fierce tackler and needs to win the ball and give it to O''Neil.

What AN will probably pick to start:

Ruddy

Martin Klose Bassong Brady

Tettey O''Neil

Redmond Naismith Howson

Jerome

The likes of Wes, Bamford/Mbokani and Jarvis to mix it up in the second half. It''s unfortunate that Wisdom, Olsson, Bennett and Jarvis are out of form/favour as in theory they should be pushing hard for a starting place. I don''t think Wes will start tomorrow but he could have an important role to play with 20/25 mins left.

If Olsson was in to start tomorrow with Brady left-midfield, O''Neil would be on the bench with Howson in a deeper central role. Jerome up top seems to give defences the most to think about for the first 70 mins but he doesn''t really carry a goal threat. Perhaps Bamford might get the chance to make a name for himself away to the league leaders!

For no good reason, I think we''ll put in a good performance tomorrow and bring a point home with 1-1

------------------Ruddy--------------

Pinto---Bennett----Klose---Olsson

----------Tettey-----Howson--------

--Redmond--Naismith----Brady---

---------------Bamford---------------

Subs: Rudd, Martin, Bassong, O Neil, Hoolahan, Jarvis, Mbokani

- Think Pinto definitely needs another chance now he has had longer to bed in. His pace could be crucial in a game like this. As others have said, pace in attack will be crucial to hitting them on the break.

[quote user="Jim Moriarty"]------------------Ruddy--------------

Subs: Rudd, Martin, Bassong, O Neil, Hoolahan, Jarvis, Mbokani

- Think Pinto definitely needs another chance now he has had longer to bed in. His pace could be crucial in a game like this. As others have said, pace in attack will be crucial to hitting them on the break.[/quote]

I would have similar, maybe Jerome with Bamford on the bench instead of Mbokani.

Although I do like Bassong, I think his lack of pace my be a problem against Leicester, as their game is based upon breaking at pace.

Ruddy

AnyRightBack Klose Bassong Brady

Oneil Tettey

Redmond Naismith Howson

Jerome

I wouldn''t go with two withdrawn defensive midfielders against a team that likes to sit back. One of them ought to be further forwards trying to anticipate and prevent Leicester''s breaks and long balls forward.That would suggest a 4-1-4-1 with Tettey in front of the back four and a target man (ie Mbokani) who''s good at winning headers inside a packed defence. But

I''d suggest we outfox Leicester and disrupt their normal rhythms by playing Klose as a sweeper.Klose''s job would be to deal with anything that gets beyond our back four and function as an outlet to keep possession when under pressure from Leicester''s particularly intense harrying. The slowness of our central defenders would be less of an issue with this setup.Our normal offside trap could easily be evaded by Leicester''s speed of attack, with accurate and well-timed long passes, so we''d swap that for a sweeper who''s good at passing, clearing and running with the ball. Klose is ideal for this role and could still step up if the likes of Vardy try and play up against him behind our ''normal'' back four.The formation below offers plenty in defence, plenty in midfield, and a fair bit of speed down the flanks. We would be able to limit the space between our defence and midfield, and press Leicester back with a relatively lower risk of getting caught on the break.

-----------------Ruddy-------------------------------------Klose--------------------Pinto---Bennett--Bassong--OlssonRmnd----O''Neill----Tettey----Brady----------------Mbokani -----------------

[quote user="93vintage"]I wouldn''t go with two withdrawn defensive midfielders against a team that likes to sit back. One of them ought to be further forwards trying to anticipate and prevent Leicester''s breaks and long balls forward.That would suggest a 4-1-4-1 with Tettey in front of the back four and a target man (ie Mbokani) who''s good at winning headers inside a packed defence. But

I''d suggest we outfox Leicester and disrupt their normal rhythms by playing Klose as a sweeper.Klose''s job would be to deal with anything that gets beyond our back four and function as an outlet to keep possession when under pressure from Leicester''s particularly intense harrying. The slowness of our central defenders would be less of an issue with this setup.Our normal offside trap could easily be evaded by Leicester''s speed of attack, with accurate and well-timed long passes, so we''d swap that for a sweeper who''s good at passing, clearing and running with the ball. Klose is ideal for this role and could still step up if the likes of Vardy try and play up against him behind our ''normal'' back four.The formation below offers plenty in defence, plenty in midfield, and a fair bit of speed down the flanks. We would be able to limit the space between our defence and midfield, and press Leicester back with a relatively lower risk of getting caught on the break.

-----------------Ruddy-------------------------------------Klose--------------------Pinto---Bennett--Bassong--OlssonRmnd----O''Neill----Tettey----Brady----------------Mbokani -----------------[/quote]It is an interesting idea but I would have thought if anyone was suited to the sweeper role it was Martin, with Bassong and Klose as the centre-backs. In part because a good sweeeper should be able to cover out wide and also break though into midfield, and that is Martin more than Klose.

--------------Ruddy----------------

Martin --Klose---Bassong--Olsson

--------------Tettey----------------

------Howson------Brady---------

--Redmond-----------Naismith--

--------------Jerome---------------

I''d completely concede possession and park the bus right on the edge of our box and not let them in behind us. Every clearance should be safety first, unless we''re absolutely sure playing our way out will work we should just knock it up to Jerome if we''re in danger so he can play in the 4 midfield runners and hopefully through a bit of magic we can nick one or two.

The only way well get a result there is if we do a number on them and play ugly. Try to play our usual game and we''ll get absolutely pulled apart on the counter

I so wish we had a defensive left back as well. Can Wisdom play there? In my team for this game the fullbacks would not be crossing the half way line and need to maintain 100% concentration all game

------------------Ruddy--------------

Our best team is this and we may as well take it to them. Thats a very dangerous team.

Brady and Olsson Double up on Mahrez and Klose and Tettey double up on Vardy and stop the break. Klose sweeping.

I''m sticking with what I put on the other thread:

-----------------Ruddy-----------------

------Martin--Klose--Bassong--------

Pinto----------------------------Brady

------------Howson--Tettey----------

------Hoolahan-----------Naismith---

----------------Mbokani------------

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="93vintage"]I wouldn''t go with two withdrawn defensive midfielders against a team that likes to sit back. One of them ought to be further forwards trying to anticipate and prevent Leicester''s breaks and long balls forward.That would suggest a 4-1-4-1 with Tettey in front of the back four and a target man (ie Mbokani) who''s good at winning headers inside a packed defence. But

-----------------Ruddy-------------------------------------Klose--------------------Pinto---Bennett--Bassong--OlssonRmnd----O''Neill----Tettey----Brady----------------Mbokani -----------------[/quote]It is an interesting idea but I would have thought if anyone was suited to the sweeper role it was Martin, with Bassong and Klose as the centre-backs. In part because a good sweeeper should be able to cover out wide and also break though into midfield, and that is Martin more than Klose.[/quote]You could probably employ either as sweeper, however I think that Klose looks the more comfortable and composed of the two on the ball.

------------------------ Ruddy -----------------

Wisdom/Pinto -- Klose -- Bassong -- Brady

----------------------- O''Neil --------------------

Redmond --- Tettey -- Howson --- Naismith

--------------------- Bamford -------------------

I''d go with a 4-1-4-1. With Tettey given license to push on and press high up alongside Howson. Remember it was Tetty who scored our winners vs. Soton and Man Utd. Naismith may be a bit of a square peg wide left, but he can play narrow with Brady overlapping.

[quote user="93vintage"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="93vintage"]I wouldn''t go with two withdrawn defensive midfielders against a team that likes to sit back. One of them ought to be further forwards trying to anticipate and prevent Leicester''s breaks and long balls forward.That would suggest a 4-1-4-1 with Tettey in front of the back four and a target man (ie Mbokani) who''s good at winning headers inside a packed defence. But

-----------------Ruddy-------------------------------------Klose--------------------Pinto---Bennett--Bassong--OlssonRmnd----O''Neill----Tettey----Brady----------------Mbokani -----------------[/quote]It is an interesting idea but I would have thought if anyone was suited to the sweeper role it was Martin, with Bassong and Klose as the centre-backs. In part because a good sweeeper should be able to cover out wide and also break though into midfield, and that is Martin more than Klose.[/quote]You could probably employ either as sweeper, however I think that Klose looks the more comfortable and composed of the two on the ball.[/quote]I have only seen Klose play once, and although he hit a few decent long passes he didn''t look that mobile. Which is what a good sweeper must be, because they have to cover all the way across the defence, and be able to bring the ball out. It is very much not like being a third centre-back. I suspect Martin is better than Klose as far as those criteria are concerned.The sweepers I can remember were all converted full-backs rather than central defenders. Picchi at Inter being a classic example, and - from your vintage - Culverhouse and Bowen for us. When Walker played a sweeper in Europe, despite having several centre-backs to choose from, he went for Culverhouse. And then Bowen when Culverhouse was suspended for the Inter away game.Your solution also means playing Bennett - someone who hasn''t kicked a ball in the last four games.

------------------------Ruddy------------------------------

Martin-----------Klose-------Bassong-----------Brady

-------------Tettey------------------Howson-------------

--Redmond----------Hoolahan-----------Naismith---

-------------------Mbokani-------------------------------

At some point Bamford has to feature. He can''t play on Tuesday and has only featured from the bench in the Villa game. Whoever plays will need to be massively fit and able to keep up with Leicester''s movement and speed.

I''d go with 3 changes to LYB''s team - O''Neil in Howson''s position, Howson in Hoolahan''s and Jerome for Mbokani.

Like your team LYB. I think Mbokani will have more joy than Jerome up against Huth, he''s less predictable.

-------------------Ruddy------------------------------

Martin-----------Klose-------Bassong-----------Olsson

-------------Tettey------------------Howson-------------

--Redmond----------Naismith-----------Brady---

-------------------Mbokani--------------------

The substitutions could be vital.

If we go behind I would take Olsson off, move Brady back and play two up front .... bringing on Bamford.

If we sneak a lead, then I would bring O''Neill on for Redmond.

The timing of these changes for me would be soonest. AN usually delays until well into the second half. His prerogative.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]Like your team LYB. I think Mbokani will have more joy than Jerome up against Huth, he''s less predictable.[/quote]

I like Mbokani, but I think Jerome''s movement is better than his. Moving Huth and Morgan around might provide more space for Redmond, Naismith and Wes/Howson.

Definitely see a role for Bamford in this game too - either as a sub for whichever striker starts or as more firepower if we need a goal.

Rudd

Pinto Klose Bassong Olsson

Tettey

Redmond Howson Naismith Brady

Mbokani

think we need to use the width and pace available to us and really go at Leicester on the counter. Mbokani down the middle and Naismith/Howson supporting with the leg work.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="93vintage"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="93vintage"]I wouldn''t go with two withdrawn defensive midfielders against a team that likes to sit back. One of them ought to be further forwards trying to anticipate and prevent Leicester''s breaks and long balls forward.That would suggest a 4-1-4-1 with Tettey in front of the back four and a target man (ie Mbokani) who''s good at winning headers inside a packed defence. But

-----------------Ruddy-------------------------------------Klose--------------------Pinto---Bennett--Bassong--OlssonRmnd----O''Neill----Tettey----Brady----------------Mbokani -----------------[/quote]It is an interesting idea but I would have thought if anyone was suited to the sweeper role it was Martin, with Bassong and Klose as the centre-backs. In part because a good sweeeper should be able to cover out wide and also break though into midfield, and that is Martin more than Klose.[/quote]You could probably employ either as sweeper, however I think that Klose looks the more comfortable and composed of the two on the ball.[/quote]I have only seen Klose play once, and although he hit a few decent long passes he didn''t look that mobile. Which is what a good sweeper must be, because they have to cover all the way across the defence, and be able to bring the ball out. It is very much not like being a third centre-back. I suspect Martin is better than Klose as far as those criteria are concerned.The sweepers I can remember were all converted full-backs rather than central defenders. Picchi at Inter being a classic example, and - from your vintage - Culverhouse and Bowen for us. When Walker played a sweeper in Europe, despite having several centre-backs to choose from, he went for Culverhouse. And then Bowen when Culverhouse was suspended for the Inter away game.Your solution also means playing Bennett - someone who hasn''t kicked a ball in the last four games.[/quote]There are different types of sweeper, some cover the whole back line, some don''t. Some don''t venture forward very much, some do. Some are slow, some fast. The top priority is being good on the ball, good at reading the game and good positionally. Their passing (especially long range), heading and tackling needs to be of a good standard too.I think that Klose would serve well as a more central sweeper protecting the area behind the centre backs, acting as a ''spare man'' central defender. He''s better on the ball and in the tackle than Russell Martin, and maybe less prone to ball watching.Playing Klose instead of Martin doesn''t mean playing Bennett, as Martin is capable of playing alongside Bassong in Bennett''s place. It wouldn''t surprise me to see Martin at right back instead of Pinto.

[quote user="93vintage"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="93vintage"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="93vintage"]I wouldn''t go with two withdrawn defensive midfielders against a team that likes to sit back. One of them ought to be further forwards trying to anticipate and prevent Leicester''s breaks and long balls forward.That would suggest a 4-1-4-1 with Tettey in front of the back four and a target man (ie Mbokani) who''s good at winning headers inside a packed defence. But

-----------------Ruddy-------------------------------------Klose--------------------Pinto---Bennett--Bassong--OlssonRmnd----O''Neill----Tettey----Brady----------------Mbokani -----------------[/quote]It is an interesting idea but I would have thought if anyone was suited to the sweeper role it was Martin, with Bassong and Klose as the centre-backs. In part because a good sweeeper should be able to cover out wide and also break though into midfield, and that is Martin more than Klose.[/quote]You could probably employ either as sweeper, however I think that Klose looks the more comfortable and composed of the two on the ball.[/quote]I have only seen Klose play once, and although he hit a few decent long passes he didn''t look that mobile. Which is what a good sweeper must be, because they have to cover all the way across the defence, and be able to bring the ball out. It is very much not like being a third centre-back. I suspect Martin is better than Klose as far as those criteria are concerned.The sweepers I can remember were all converted full-backs rather than central defenders. Picchi at Inter being a classic example, and - from your vintage - Culverhouse and Bowen for us. When Walker played a sweeper in Europe, despite having several centre-backs to choose from, he went for Culverhouse. And then Bowen when Culverhouse was suspended for the Inter away game.Your solution also means playing Bennett - someone who hasn''t kicked a ball in the last four games.[/quote]There are different types of sweeper, some cover the whole back line, some don''t. Some don''t venture forward very much, some do. Some are slow, some fast. The top priority is being good on the ball, good at reading the game and good positionally. Their passing (especially long range), heading and tackling needs to be of a good standard too.I think that Klose would serve well as a more central sweeper protecting the area behind the centre backs, acting as a ''spare man'' central defender. He''s better on the ball and in the tackle than Russell Martin, and maybe less prone to ball watching.Playing Klose instead of Martin doesn''t mean playing Bennett, as Martin is capable of playing alongside Bassong in Bennett''s place. It wouldn''t surprise me to see Martin at right back instead of Pinto.[/quote]That ia highly questionable. If a sweeper doesn''t cover the whole back line then they are not really a sweeper at all but just (and this is effectively how you have described it) a deep-lying centre-back in an ultra-defensive formation playing everyone onside and inviting endless pressure from the opposition.The point about the true sweeper system is that is not as defensive as it sounds, because a sweeper able to cover the full-backs then enables those players (not at the same time, of course) to go up field with a bit of freedom. As with Facchetti and Inter, with 59 goals from 476 appearances.

---------------Ruddy--------------

Martin--Klose--Bennett--Brady

--------------Tettey---------------

-Redmond--Howson--Naismith-

-------------Hoolahan------------

-----------Jerome-----------------

People picking Pinto probably haven''t perceived him playing. I hope this will be a case of "bedding in" but at present I think "Panto" may be a more suitable name.

[quote user="Jeremy Borbyn"]People picking Pinto probably haven''t perceived him playing. I hope this will be a case of "bedding in" but at present I think "Panto" may be a more suitable name.[/quote]

Ohhhhhhhhh no it won''t.