Sign in to follow this  
Crispy

you are ALL forgetting....

Just had a good read of a few threads and i think alot of people are forgetting this:

in the 2003/2004 Nationwide Division 1 season Norwich city let 39 goals in the season (yes that was less than anyone else in the league) - Hmmm and i believe with shackell and take ur pick of our current RB''s we have a much better defense than 03/04

in the 2003/2004 Nationwide Division 1 season Norwich city players made up 0 of the top 10 top Division scorers - now with Ahston and Mckenzie i believe they can both make it.

We are not a premier league club, not because of how franny played in our last game of the season, nor is it our leaky defense but because:
- We could not field a premiership team past 2 injuries.
- Our inhability to hold a lead when it mattered.

In the Premier League all we could do was attack, something Nigel now has 2 years to work on, but in the CCC there is nothing we can''t do.

I say continue with a good 3 more signings in the same vein, and next season WHEN we are premier league, we spend big on proven prem quality.

Keep the faith and know that this club is great and remember in what position we could have been if Nigel, Delia and co. hadn''t helped this club in the right direction

OTBC !!!!

some good points there crispy.

but for the fact, we are not a premiership club because;

1) Our defence was a terrible and let in too many goals

2) we were attacking with no end result at the beginning of the season

3) We couldnt hold onto the lead when we had it (ala man city)

I also agree on your point about francis, if we would have won man city at home, southampton and palace away the fulham game wouldnt have matterd, we would have been a premiership club come this time, we just have to face the fact that we were not good enough last time, but im am really looking foward to getting back asap.

Thats a fair point, but you have to remember that in the promotion season, our defensive record was solid as a rock loanees (ie, when we had no attacking players!!)

If you look post loanee arrivals (ie, Hucks, Sven, Leon, Crouch, Harper), our defence wasn''t as strong because our team was more attack minded.

Remember Rotherham (4-4), Burnley (5-3)??

I don''t think our defence will be as solid as some may think

[quote]Just had a good read of a few threads and i think alot of people are forgetting this: in the 2003/2004 Nationwide Division 1 season Norwich city let 39 goals in the season (yes that was less than any...[/quote]

top post crispy.

look at bolton or charlton. they''ve slowly built and now they belong in the top ten.

mckenzie and ashton will be the second most lethal striker partnership in the ccc behind hulse and healy .

I, for one, am still concerned about the defence. I appreciate we will have a good attack and hopefully that will take alot of the pressure off them but we will still face corners and free kicks and we appeared to be hopeless against them last year.

Does anybody have any stats for our goals-to-game conceded before and after Shacks was installed in the team ?

I am not sure that it is not a coaching problem, the defence as a whole often looked like "rabbits in headlamps" (and yes I know we were against quality Prem attacks). Even Adam Drury, I feel, is over-rated - good when facing an attacking winger one-on-one but poor positionally when an attack is coming from the other side. Again, maybe a coaching thing or maybe a lack of a leader in the defence who is prepared to open his mouth and tell others what to do.

A lot of posters on here are harking back and saying that we are now better than when we won the league last time but my guess is that this league is getting better every year so we will need to be - and by some margin I think.

This is not an "all doom and gloom" post however, I believe we need only two players to give ourselves a real chance of promotion. One commanding centre-back (don''t know if this is why NW is going for Primus, but I don''t think of him as a leader) and one creative midfielder (Koumas has already been mentioned many times but there are probably others out there). Given these two, some luck with injuries and with our forward line you would have to say we have a real chance of a top two finish.

Mark .Y.

I generally agree with Crispy and yes, its a good post. However, it does not take account of the fact that the Championship is stronger overall, this time around -at least on paper.

The good news is that Nigel is highly likely to sign three or four more players and is almost certainly going to concentrate on defenders and midfielders to create a strong rounded squad, offering the right attitude and strength in depth for what will be a long and busy campaign. He will be deliberately keeping a reasonable amount of money back for the last few signings, helping to assure some significant quality where we most need it. He will no doubt have contingency targets as well for any of the possible departures such as; Francis, Green and Helveg.

Further, I am sure that Nigel and the Board will also be planning a reserve fund for January, where if needed, just one high quality signing could tip the balance in our favour. January signings will also be very much with the Premiership in mind, both from the prospective players point of view and the Club''s.

This Club intends to win the Championship in just one way, at the top with a repeat of last year''s celebrations. All concerned are planning for Norwich to rejoin the Prem. stronger than we were in August ''04.

We have a fantastic Club and a fantastic couple of years to look forward to. 

Many good points.

The satisfaction with the defence prior to moving up to the prem, IMHO is flawed, by the fact that the figures flattered the performances. I saw many bad defensive errors that followed us into the prem.  I feel we were lucky with the results in at least 6 of our games prior to promotion, and had the opposition been good enough we could have been severely punished.

Our struggling in midfield has led to these poor performances and I hope that there will be much more aggression in this area where, we, with a couple more assured players on the books can take the game to the opposition.

As one person says, we do not handle corners well and our direction in the 18 yard area is woeful, some of this is down to Greens lack of awareness allied to lack of defensive direction.  Coaching!!! I wonder???

I think a great point has been raised about the coaching.Would it not be worth offeresing a respected defensive prem coach a nice pay packet to sort out our defensive line ?? I am not too convinced we are short of the individuals for the job (maybe 2 more class players for prem next season) but a fresh look at organization and tactics would help bucket loads more than and extra CB.

Healy and Hulse the best partnership....................Ha you''re a funny guy. I like jokes and this one is hilarious. Leeds will finish 8th just narrowly missing the play-offs, with no players reaching the top scorers charts. IMO too many championship players in their squad, they have no cutting edge.

Ashton and McKenzie best partnership and both will reacdh the scoring charts. This isn''t a bias opinion, it is an obvious prediction of what is to come, as these two oozed class together. Healy was awful when on loan with us, and Hulse was on our B-list (behind Ashton), and couldn''t even get into WBA team.

I am looking forward to what developes in the mould of goals, reckon 80ish in league. Cups are bonuses, but we all know what our cup runs are like.

[quote]Many good points. The satisfaction with the defence prior to moving up to the prem, IMHO is flawed, by the fact that the figures flattered the performances. I saw many bad defensive errors that foll...[/quote]

Could not agree more with Beelsie - our midfield deficiencies ahve been apparent in the last two seasons and were not addressed last season. Safri looks a quality player and Francis too, but we had no-one else which ultimately led to our downfall. Jarret=good, two more would be even better.......

So right about corners and Greeny - considering Hucks won more free kicks than anyone else in the Prem we did not seem to make much of them....another weakness methinks.

I agree that the midfield remains the main area to strengthen - which I why I would want 3 midfielders from the remaining 3 signings Worthy is looking for - a central midfielder and a wide left (real midfielder rather than the out of position Hux) and wide right (as cover for Jonson who will hopefully do well this season)

Beelsie is right that our defence in 03/04 was not as good as the figures showed but I still think our current defence is far better than that season and so I am one of those who feel the defence should be OK for the champs - my reasoning being that Shacks was GOOD at prem level (& better than Mackay) so will be fantastic lower down, Helveg is the best defender (far better than Eddy) at the club and will do well in the champs, Drury is proven at the champs. So all we need is a partner for shacks.  Given our limited transfer budget I would rather buy midfielders and test out Doc with Shacks knowing we have Flem and charlie in reserve.   Clearly if Helveg leaves then a further right back will have to be signed. 

OTBC