Sign in to follow this  
morty

Season ticket Academy donation.

You don''t have to pay it!! ;-)

Some people might like to feel that they are "contributing" something "extra".

Plenty of people do the Direct Debits to a charity thing? God knows how much of those gets swallowed up by admin, at least, theoretically, you''d know where this was going.

Surely it''s a matter of choice. I pay it on my ticket but only because I choose to. I don''t pay it on my grandson''s ticket because I choose to only pay it once.

[quote user="ridgeman"]Absolute disgrace when we pay the CEO half a million in bonuses and eleven million in bonuses in total for promotion. Just another example of milking the true supporter once again.[/quote]Leaving aside the £11m figure, which doesn''t immediately strike me as accurate, I don''t see the connection with the CEO''s pay package. But more importantly, has the donation now now become compulsory then, or can one still opt out?

I donate, but think it''s a bit cheeky. It should come out of the players salaries. I was a bit disappointed we bought those kids in the transfer window as that was money that could have been invested in our youth rather than rely on the fans contributions.

Of course its a matter of choice. But I do think its a bit naughty automatically including it, putting the onus on the season ticket holder to opt out.And I have to wonder just how much of a difference that 19 quid per donation really makes to our academy. I am a fan of what we are doing with it, but can''t quite square away, given our turnover, why it has to be partly funded by charity.

We could have exactly the same debate about the airport development fee at Norwich airport lol.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]It''s as easy to opt out as it is to post about it on here.

If they charged a fiver for u21 games would that be cheeky?[/quote]If they charged a fiver, how many people would still go?Letting us in for free isn''t some goodwill gesture by the club, I''m sure extra revenue on merchandise and food / drinks makes it well worthwhile, I doubt they would do it if it ran at a loss.

I see it dufferently Morty. I see the driving force as the stadium experience the youngsters get playing under lights in front of a crowd. You look for reasons that the club are after your hard earned. Even when, as with the donation, there''s no requirement for you to spend anything.

Does anyone know if other clubs that have Category one academies, have them part funded by their supporters?

[quote user="morty"]We could have exactly the same debate about the airport development fee at Norwich airport lol.[/quote]
Someone should be having that debate because after about eight years of "development fees", the airport still resembles something from Communist-era Eastern Europe.

I don''t have a Scooby Morty. Maybe those who always want to be another club might know. Whether other clubs do or don''t I really like the ties our club has with its supporters. Other clubs can only dream...

Leicester have got it right, I wonder what they do? Or Southampton, their academy is the best...

Being serious though, think it''s a bit of a non-debate. The Academy is clearly already budgeted for, I don''t think the club are reliant on these donations but it probably allows them to either spend more on it or to allocate a section of the budget to something "higher priority". Ultimately, as fans we can either pay it or not, it''s really that simple isn''t it?

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Leicester have got it right, I wonder what they do? Or Southampton, their academy is the best...

Being serious though, think it''s a bit of a non-debate. The Academy is clearly already budgeted for, I don''t think the club are reliant on these donations but it probably allows them to either spend more on it or to allocate a section of the budget to something "higher priority". Ultimately, as fans we can either pay it or not, it''s really that simple isn''t it?[/quote]I think it could easily be viewed as a slightly cynical exploitation of loyalty though, if I were a cynical man [;)]We''re either a slick, well run professional Premiership club, or little old Norwich passing a blanket round for fans to throw pennies into.Perhaps the fag packet accountants could tell us just how much fans donate, and what this is, as a percentage of the academy running costs?

I like being the community club we are. I don''t want to be a club where fans and community don''t matter. i like the way players and management are made accessible to the fans. I lIke having access to the academy matches and the opportunity to pay that donation. I like the ties with the community we have with the CSF. Maybe you others will get the club you like in another era.

Are we little old Norwich or is it simply that we''re more reliant on other revenue streams than clubs backed by wealthier owners?

I understand the "but the TV money" argument, but everybody gets it so it''s of no advantage to us, we consistently have to spend it "better" than at least three other clubs. Ways we can gain an advantage are, hopefully, that a CAT1 academy throws up occasional players capable of playing at this level to save/make us a few quid and to maximise revenue from other areas that perhaps other clubs don''t - catering, events and even fan contributions?

The Academy costs a couple of million a year to run I seem to remember so if half the ST holders left in £19 that would be about, what, £190,000? If that is added to the Academy "pot" it could make a big difference in terms of technology, equipment, salaries for "better" coaches etc.

If the argument is whether you should tick a box to opt in or tick a box to opt out? A cynic would suggest the way round they''ve got it is to their advantage. As a Norwich City fan and a cynic, that doesn''t bother me in the slightest!

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I like being the community club we are. I don''t want to be a club where fans and community don''t matter. i like the way players and management are made accessible to the fans. I lIke having access to the academy matches and the opportunity to pay that donation. I like the ties with the community we have with the CSF. Maybe you others will get the club you like in another era.[/quote]We could be a community club, and matter as fans without being asked to put our hands in our pockets though, couldn''t we?Don''t try and turn this into a polar opposites "us and them" debate, it is okay to occasionally question things that the club does, you know. Especially financial aspects, I think McNally has been amazing for Norwich City, but he is a hard faced businessman, who pushes things a bit too far sometimes.I think I would be a lot less cynical about the donation if you had to opt into it, rather than opt out of it. I would venture that a lot of people end up paying it unwittingly, or just don''t get round to opting out, however you do it.Oh, and for the record, I donate my 19 quid[:)]

I''m not trying to turn this into anything Morty. I honestly see it the way I have posted. I don''t see the donation as a rip off. I think it''s as easy to opt out as to post on here about it. I don''t see the U21 games as an opportunity for the club to make money.

As for McNally, well you probably know the guy, I don''t. But in my dealings as a fan with the club that have involved him he''s always done everything possible to accommodate what I wanted. How have you suffered through his hardfaced approach?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I''m not trying to turn this into anything Morty. I honestly see it the way I have posted. I don''t see the donation as a rip off. I think it''s as easy to opt out as to post on here about it. I don''t see the U21 games as an opportunity for the club to make money.

As for McNally, well you probably know the guy, I don''t. But in my dealings as a fan with the club that have involved him he''s always done everything possible to accommodate what I wanted. How have you suffered through his hardfaced approach?[/quote]I don''t think the phrase "rip off" was mentioned?Suffered?Personally, not at all, if I couldn''t afford to pay what the club asks I wouldn''t pay it.There has been plenty of occasions where he has pushed his luck though, removal of concessions, the season ticket rebate drama, the season ticket rebate scheme that is VERY heavily biased towards the club.I am not trying to portray him as some kind of highway robber, but he certainly knows how to milk every last penny out of supporters.

But surely the easiest way to do that would be to just bang season ticket prices up? If less people renewed then he could sell more casual tickets at a higher price per game? In theory, anyway.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]But surely the easiest way to do that would be to just bang season ticket prices up? If less people renewed then he could sell more casual tickets at a higher price per game? In theory, anyway.[/quote]Nah.I certainly wouldn''t pay the prices that casual supporters do.

I don''t think the way it has been done helps the clubs image much either, or their relationship with the fans.

To avoid it you have to ring a premium rate number, you can''t omit it when renewing online and the clubs switchboard say it''s ''not possible'' to transfer you if you ring their geographical number. It may not be much but the attitude builds resentment.

Quite. I''m not suggesting that he''d increase STs to that sort of price per game but an increase of, say, £50 per ST (less than £3 per match), would raise an extra £1m in revenue and wouldn''t see our ST prices become "ridiculous".

It might be a bridge too far for some but with the DD option it''s only an extra £5 a month, I reckon most people would find that. If they decided it was too much, the extra casual ticket could be flogged at £50 a pop or whatever the going rate is now.

To me, that would be easier, and more effective, than hoping people forgot to opt out of the Academy thing. I dunno, as I said before, I can see the "pennies in an ocean" side of it too but I don''t think McNally has us exactly bent over with the way things are at present.

We have no idea how many season ticket holders pay this £19 but we would not be having this discussion if instead of this opt out or remain in scenario would it not have been easier to remove it from the season ticket renewals and just slap a £10 rise on all 21,000 season tickets ?

Personally have no problem with it, like the fact i can opt out if want to, also like the thought have a chance to win back the cost of my season ticket, and if it helps the club do "something extra" at some point, all well and good, imo.

[quote user="morty"]There has been plenty of occasions where he has pushed his luck though, removal of concessions, the season ticket rebate drama, the season ticket rebate scheme that is VERY heavily biased towards the club.I am not trying to portray him as some kind of highway robber, but he certainly knows how to milk every last penny out of supporters.[/quote]
Did you tell him all that when he was kind enough to take the time to chat to you on twitter about the £19 academy donation  a short time ago [;)]