Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Stop messing and get Gayle.

I don''t want an unproven striker who has never played in the Prem., we haven''t got the time to bed them in and to see if works.

Play Gayle upfront as a lone striker just in front of Naismith.

They even suggested on talk sport that if he played this role he would soon be playing in the Euros.

Better to get someone proven at this stage than not.

Any foreigner is a risk (like RVW) as they''re not accustomed to the high tempo of the Prem.

AT least Gayle is quick and gives us a different option

The deal was all done in the summer just for Palace to pull out.

Just get back in with deal and then we are done.

I really like Gayle personally, but playing him up front as a lone striker?...dont think that works. Gayle is a proven penalty  box striker, but mostly he works best with another forward up there with him. I have seen no confirmation from Pardew that he refuses to sell Gayle until they find another striker...that was the case in the summer, but maybe not now.  Palace seem pretty interested in Adebayor, but only for 6 months as he carries a lot of baggage. Hes still being paid 100k a week by Spurs for doing nothing and feeling is there that something will happen early next week, after Palace have played Spurs ironically.Wether Alex is still even interested in Gayle who knows, the summer seems so long ago

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Really hope we don''t sign him unless its on loan, pretty useless in this league.[/quote]

As a consistent starting striker, 100% agree. As a spot starter as a 2nd (still agree) or 3rd option not that useless. Better than most clubs like us have.

[quote user="dibbler"]I don''t want an unproven striker who has never played in the Prem., we haven''t got the time to bed them in and to see if works.

Play Gayle upfront as a lone striker just in front of Naismith.

They even suggested on talk sport that if he played this role he would soon be playing in the Euros.

Better to get someone proven at this stage than not.[/quote]
I agree we need a proven Premier League striker, which is why I disagree we should sign Dwight Gayle - who is unproven in the Premier League (if not a proven failure).

Please carry on looking and dont get Gayle . I''d love to be wrong but i think he''s not that great. Kinda pffft with meh dressing. Can any gayle expert tell us if he can play 1 up top? cos if we''ve lost hooper to pay more for gayle, to use him now and again then i think the club is mental.

I wish AN would just say '' the Gayle business is finished, he is not a target''.

We are supposed to be upgrading as we go.

As far as I can see, his PL goals/games ratio is about 1 in 4. I don''t think that''s too bad personally. Certainly wouldn''t call it a failure.

He''s genuinely quick & hard working, a different type of striker to those we have.

What is Bamford''s PL strike ratio?

I think Gayle is a cracking player and given a proper run, playing to his strengths, he would be a real asset to us.  He gives us a much-needed alternative to what we have already.  I would be really pleased if we landed him.

Unless we splash the cash bigtime then whoever comes is still going to play a bitpart role behind Mbokani & Jerome.

Gayle is a different type of player to them, giving us options and pace imo. Trouble is, as a penalty box type of player we just got rid of one of them in Hoops!

Gayle has scored 4 times in 7 games and played out of position he is no comparison to Hoops.

This is a realistic target as this stage of the season, we can hardly attract the likes of Aguero.

We could risk 5-6 million on an overseas sriker but it''s a bigger gamble than Gayle.

Palace pulled out of the deal as they couldn''t sign a striker, they only just achieved that yesterday so a deal could potentially be resurrected.

However, the fact he almost signed for Norwich has alerted several other clubs to his availability so Norwich might not have such a easy time negotiating a deal for him this time around.

As for his record - in his first two season he scored .55 goals every 90 mins he played. Including this season his overall Prem record for Palace is .46 goals every 90. That isn''t an awful rate and would be better than any other striker Norwich have had in the Premier League I believe.

Norwich lack real pace up front, and Gayle also works hard in tracking back and pressing defenders. I think he''d be a great option for Norwich in certain games, or to come off the bench against tiring defenders. If the deal is right (up to £8m providing a chunk of that is paid on Prem survival) then Norwich should go get him.

Remy is a pipe dream. Many other clubs, not involved in relegation battles are looking to loan or even sign him for 7 figure sums.

Gayle would be better in the short term, Bamford better in the long term (if the deal is permanent not a loan). I think the short term is the pressing need for Norwich right now unfortunately. Hopefully after surviving relegation Norwich will be able to look at long-term prospects in the summer.

Whilst I like Gayle Bethnal, do you not think defence and centre midfield need beefing as a priority? Assuming of course resources are finite.

Whats wrong with Mbokani. He has been superb in that lone striker role. Gayle will not do a better job than him at holding the ball up and bringing other players into the game.

If we were to play Gayle and Naismith just off Mbokani then I would be all for it. Them two working there socks off running the channels would be good.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]Whilst I like Gayle Bethnal, do you not think defence and centre midfield need beefing as a priority? Assuming of course resources are finite.[/quote]

Norwich have brought in two defenders, I don''t think changing 75% of the defence mid-season would be a good idea, especially as Pinto and Klose have no experience of the league. Bassong has been okay for most of the season and I''d have no problem seeing him alongside Klose in defence. Olsson had some bad performances but is still capable.

Central midfield is the most stocked area of the pitch. Tettey''s absence was a large part of the problem on Saturday, but think that is largely due to the short notice AN had. Hard to bring Dorrans up to speed on what he wants (positioning, pressing triggers, set-piece tactics etc.). Also the way Liverpool play meant the defensive midfield was always going to be crucial - if I could have picked any one player to not get injured that day it would have been Tetts.

More important than bringing in another player, would be getting Mulumbu up to speed. I don''t like seeing massive changes in mid-season, especially for Norwich right now as it''s clear AN does a huge amount of work with the players on tactics. Very hard to get players up to speed quick enough to be effective.

Gayle would add something Norwich don''t have, and is obviously someone AN has wanted for a long time. He''d provide a different option rather than taking a gamble that a new player will be an improvement on what exists.

Looks like we''re too late, he''s signed for someone else

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/35419120

Much there  Bethnal i agree with, i cant see Alex adding to defence, if at all will be in the Summer, but thats dependant on which division we are in. With Klose signed, we have Bassong, Martin, Benett and even Wisdom who can do a job at CB. Mulumbu is a strange one, just unsure whats going on there. Gayle is a player ive always liked, seem nothings changed for him at Palace, hes still way down the pecking order, which must frustrate him no end. Id like to see him be the guy to take Hoolys place, differnt attributes to Wes yes, but age is really catching up to Wes. But  Swansea are reportedly swooping for Gayle, i fear they will land him, and lately theres been zero indication that Alex is even after Gayle now. Seems to me, much like Afobe, Gayle was a summer target for Alex, and things have moved on since then, Interestingly topics on Gayle in the Swans forums mirror those on Citys forums, almost a 50/50 split on "yes plz sign him up now" and "no thx, hes not good enough"Only rumours linked to City seem to be midfield, the Oscar guy at Palermo and Bruno guy at Crotone, but as these are Italian links i dismiss them, only other is Bamford of course, who knows about that one. Maybe we will go what we have.

If we''re down to Bamford or Gayle, I''m not sure which I''d prefer. Based on Saturday''s performance, neither would replace Mbokani or Naismith, but I guess if they''re to be the alternative or extra striker when we''re looking for a winner or equaliser in a game, then I suppose Gayle would be the pick, given he''s different (i.e. quicker).

For me, neither are better than what we have as first choice striker and in reality neither have proven ability in the Prem.

BY & G''s figures above for Gayle suggest rather good PL ability.

He looks more up for a scrap than Bamford, & they''re the sort of players we need, rather than the cultured aesthetic types. A few Naismith clones wouldn''t come amiss.

Woodman, with Bamford i agree, hes proven in the Champs but not in the Prem. Gayle thou is proven in the Prem, guys look more at his time not spent playing than actually playing. Pardew doesnt pick him often, but the times he has played hes  proven his ability, and has played enough Prem. games to merit an interest for clubs such as ours and Swansea. My neighbour, whos a Liverpool fan, says Gayle is a dang pita, because of the excellent goals he scored against Pool. Having Gayle and Naismith would add energy and pace, fire and movement, things we are going to need in the run in.