Sign in to follow this  
Prince of Darkness

Leicester and Southampton

Great to see a similar sized club as ourselves at the top of the premier league

Southampton have also done well in recent years.

They key to their success are owners who are wealthy enough and savvy enough to invest well.

Regrettably this is what is holding us back in achieving more success.

It''s been a blast Delia but it is really time to find a new owner and say your goodbyes.

As soon as it was confirmed yesterday, that Leicester would stay top after this weekends games, I have been waiting for someone to start a thread , on this very subject. What took you so long PoD?

What about all the teams who have ploughed money into their squads and subsequently failed?

Villa did once, Newcastle''s team didn''t come on the cheap, whilst there are quite a few clubs currently floundering away in the Championship who haven''t exactly been frugal over the years.

It''s all very easy cherry-picking a couple of examples to attempt to make point and undermine our Club''s situation or current policies, but it doesn''t completely convince given the many examples of financial mis-management that litter the Football League.

Given our means, I am very content with our transfer expenditure since we nearly went bust, although the hint of frugality that has left us with paper thin defensive strength has stretched my tolerance somewhat.

Sad to see a similar sized clubs as ourselves like Wigan & Sheff Utd struggling in League 1.

Portsmouth have also fallen well in recent years.

They key to their failures are owners who are wealthy enough but failed to invest well.

Fortunately our owners look like they will deliver more success.

Thanks to MWJ, Bowkett, Delia and the rest of the board, when it''s time say your goodbyes I''m sure you''ll leave us in good hands.

I''m really pleased to  see someone else at the top of the league for once, even if it is Leicester, because it proves the point that a club that is not super rich can do well.  It is about time someone broke the mould of  the same top six clubs dominating the premier league.  However, getting investmemt is one thing - getting wise investment is another.  There should be no rush to get new investors in - it has to be the right investors with the right ethos and right attitude to what they are investing in - and that is the problem.   There are too many examples of clubs getting it wrong and we certainly don''t want to see that at CR, with all the potential pitfalls that clubs like Cardiff and Blackburn have seen, just to mention two.  So if we can''t find the right investor we should imo be happy to continue as we are with our terrific owners, a good business with no debts and a broadly successful club given the available resources.  It isn''t always easy, but then the joy of the rewards when we do well are that much greater because of that.  Those that deride or are disparaging about our current owners really are totally skewed in their thinking imo.  They have to understand that it isn''t easy to find good investement  is possibly the most difficult and important thing for the well being of the club and if it takes another ten years to find it, so be it.

The big difference being they choosed an experienced manager.......we didn''t!

"The big difference being they choosed an experienced manager.......we didn''t!"

Again, selective cherry-picking to attempt to prove a point.

Newcastle have an experienced manager in McClaren, Sunderland had no less a man than Dick Advocaat, whilst Villa''s demise arguably began with the financial excesses of Martin O''Neill.

Experience, just like heavy expenditure, is no guarantee of success whatsoever.

I''m more than happy to go along with the Alex Neil journey, for now and for good or bad in the immediate future.

Leicester and Southampton have owners who combined are worth more than 1000x Delia Smith.

We are bottom of the Premier League rich list table on about £20m, while they occupy 7th and 8th with roughly £2.5b and £1.8m, I believe.

[quote user="Wiz"]The big difference being they choosed an experienced manager.......we didn''t![/quote]So says the poster who wants Paul Lambert back. Just remind me how his time at Villa went and he has just gone to a struggling Championship club ? He was great for us but has hardly raised an eyebrow anywhere else.

Also Leicester''s current position has a lot to do with them finding a striker in Vardy who has just equalled the Prem record for scoring in 10 consecutive games, which no one would have predicted at the start of the season.

If you look at clubs that have brought in rich owners, sometimes it works out but there are plenty that have failed, most obviously QPR. Typically the OP has just cherry-picked an example that supports his permanent anti-city agenda.

I think we have a very promising young manager who''s learning quickly. Yesterday was a classic away performance at one of the top teams which came close to getting a point, and that''s where we are at the moment, it''s naïve to expect us to go to Chelsea and dictate the game. Disappointing lack of savvy to stop the quick free kick, but defensively we''re looking a lot sounder. As long as our performances continue to improve I am reasonably happy with where we are right now. I''m not complacent but with AN I think the team has more potential to improve than it did under Lambert or Hughton. Survival is not guaranteed but we''ve a solid chance of getting it, which will allow us to strengthen the squad and with this manager we can look to improve next year.

Their success has very little to do with investment from super wealthy owners. Both clubs do not operate on an investment strategy to any great extent, in fact Southampton flog their best players year on year. It''s fine for people to want investment for our own club, but I really wish people would stop making up stuff to suit their agenda.

Both clubs are well run, as is our own that is the key to their success not throwing the owners mega bucks at it.