Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Looking at the table..

We are still 3 points above 18th with a single figure goal difference which is at least 50% better than all below us. And visits to Citeh and Chelsea behind us.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]We are still 3 points above 18th with a single figure goal difference which is at least 50% better than all below us. And visits to Citeh and Chelsea behind us.[/quote]True, but at some stage they will pick up points. We need to do the same sooner rather than later.

Was just thinking the same Nutty

Villa got hammered 4-0

Newcastle lost again

Bournemouth got a draw

Sunderland away to Palarse Mon night so hope they lose

so no change with the bottom 4, all we have to do is keep those 4 beneath us and as you say 2 big ones away out of the way

Well we won''t stay up with 12 points Rickyyyyyy.

I was just surprised that our goal difference was so much better than those below. After I read this board I have a hard job believing we don''t have the worst defence in the league.

I agree Nutty (!!!) There are some on this and ''other'' message boards who are stupidly critical of our performance today.

What do people expect? We were well organised as a defence and improving every game. We should have had a pen. We couldn''t push too far forward even with 10 mins to go when only a goal behind. A breakaway and two nil and the game was lost. Frankly I was proud of the performance today. We have a fantastic manager and am confident we will pick up the points to survive.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Well we won''t stay up with 12 points Rickyyyyyy.

I was just surprised that our goal difference was so much better than those below. After I read this board I have a hard job believing we don''t have the worst defence in the league.[/quote]The defence has certainly tightened up in recent games but it needed to. An average of one against two usually gets you relegated.

We ll beat Watford away, we did last season, well get a draw against Arsenal, two wins against Villa ann Southampton so that will be 19 pts by Jan 2nd with 18 games to go to get to 40 pts.

Im confident we''ll get 40 are you?

Sadly the results so far only indicate relegation, which is such a shame, with a bit more investment and a professional approach to recruitment we could have a squad which would give our manager a chance.

[quote user="cityangel"]We ll beat Watford away, we did last season, well get a draw against Arsenal, two wins against Villa ann Southampton so that will be 19 pts by Jan 2nd with 18 games to go to get to 40 pts.

Im confident we''ll get 40 are you?[/quote]No.

but probably will only need 35/36

[quote user="Vanwink"]Sadly the results so far only indicate relegation, which is such a shame, with a bit more investment and a professional approach to recruitment we could have a squad which would give our manager a chance.[/quote]

Why so negative?   Nutty is right. The sides with the worst goal difference are nearly always the ones that have the least points, the worst defences and the lack of confidence/ability to turn it round.  We are not in as dire a state as those below us and defensively have improved.  We will of course need to keep that up, pick up points along the way - but we have everything to fight for.  The negativity that creeps in so readily these days is frightening imo.  Get positive, get behind the club/manager/players and stop being so bl**dy negative all the time!  Haven''t you people that can only look on the negative side learned anything??  Being negative about our chances only leads one way - downwards.  So get positive! 

Lets not forget a point against Liverpool aswell. They''re starting to look resurgent, so that''s another one many other teams won''t get a point against.

The defense is playing much better, but the rare error is still costing us big time. One hopes we can add quality up front to get us those crucial goals come Jan, and we have an opportunity for optimism

You do realise though that people can raise legitimate concerns on a football without being branded something?

And that any airing of those concerns actually make no difference to what happens on the pitch.

The table means nothing right now, we are a bit behind wher e I thought we would be, I still think we''ll stay up, but it will be close.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Sadly the results so far only indicate relegation, which is such a shame, with a bit more investment and a professional approach to recruitment we could have a squad which would give our manager a chance.[/quote]Eh?  The results so far have us fifth bottom.  Fifth bottom doesn''t get you relegated.

People being able to raise their concerns doesn''t mean I can''t post my opinion.

And the table means what it means and the fixture list is what it is. I. can see the positives about being where we are with games at Liverpool, man citeh and chelsea behind us.

Strange when folk thought we had easy fixtures they seemed to mean a lot.

norfolkbroadslim wrote the following post at 21/11/2015 8:01 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

Sadly the results so far only indicate relegation, which is such a shame, with a bit more investment and a professional approach to recruitment we could have a squad which would give our manager a chance.

Eh? The results so far have us fifth bottom. Fifth bottom doesn''t get you relegated.

I credited you with a bit more intelligence than that.

[quote user="morty"]You do realise though that people can raise legitimate concerns on a football without being branded something?

And that any airing of those concerns actually make no difference to what happens on the pitch.

The table means nothing right now, we are a bit behind wher e I thought we would be, I still think we''ll stay up, but it will be close.[/quote]

Of course it will be close.  In the last few seasons the whole bottom half of the table have been in danger at some stage of the season.  But for people to come out with lines such as "Sadly the results so far only indicate relegation" - well it''s just ridiculous imo.  Why?  Because the only teams where you can say that with any certainty, are already in the bottom three, with much worse goal difference.  Our results do not indicate relegation. Our results indicate that it will be a challenge to stay up, but not certainty of relegation.  If we were on the bottom with the goal difference of  Villa, I would agree with Vanwink and others who are full of doomcasting.   But we are not - we are fighting fit with a reasonable goal difference compared to those below us and have the knowledge of knowing we can pit our wits against the best of them, without being slaughtered.  That in itself should be encouraging to take into the matches ahead.   

[quote user="Vanwink"]norfolkbroadslim wrote the following post at 21/11/2015 8:01 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

Eh? The results so far have us fifth bottom. Fifth bottom doesn''t get you relegated.

I credited you with a bit more intelligence than that.[/quote]I don''t credit you with anything.  However, as you brought this up please explain "how the results so far ONLY indicate relegation"???????

Well I DO credit you Norfolk, and not interested in exchanging insults, 12 point from 13 games after the early fixtures we had?

Come on, I think my remark had some credence?

I don''t disagree Lakey, but lets not get carried away.

Whether predicting safety or relegation, one thing is certain, the table will change several times between now and the end of the season, and I wouldn''t put it past two of the teams below us to suddenly find some form. And that isn''t some ridiculous "cup half empty" view. Newcastle and Sunderland are both better established in the Premiership than we are, with likely more January financial clout too.

I''ll stick with "cautiously optimistic" as opposed to "relegation certain" at one extreme, and "think positive thoughts and it''ll all be fine" at the other.

From all accounts Villa were woeful again today. They are perhaps one or two more consecutive defeats from being in an impossible position. With Newcastle hammered at home and a Swansea Bournemouth draw results couldn''t have gone any better for us today. Hoping that Sunderland take a tonking on Monday. Villa and Sunderland have tried the change the manager card without any upturn in fortune. Bournemouth are defensively worse than us, .osing a two goal lead will do their confidence no good. We have to win this little league table to be ok.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Well I DO credit you Norfolk, and not interested in exchanging insults, 12 point from 13 games after the early fixtures we had?

Come on, I think my remark had some credence?[/quote]But, we are where we are.  The table doesn''t lie.  We''ve played 13 games and have 12 points and are in 16th place.  We aren''t in a false position.    Do you think we''ve had an easier 13 games than the 4 teams below us?  If we had been in the position of Villa or Sunderland, I''d be in agreement with you.

Are Villa already gone?  A question for Ricardo here, has any team ever survived in the Premier League after having only 5 points from 13 games?  I suppose the same question, albeit 6 points from 13 games, goes for Sunderland should they lose on Monday?

Just over a third of the season gone, and 12 points suggests a final total of 36, which would certainly be tight for survival.

The beauty of football, it''s far from that predictable.

Actually spoke to a couple of Chelsea fans after today''s game and they were complimentary about our overall approach, even if pointing out the obvious, our lack of cutting edge in the final third today.

Cautiously optimistic will do for me too.

Today''s result provides further evidence of our failure in the transfer window. We had the easiest of starts to this season but failed to capitalise. Suspect we''ll finish 19th above Bournemouth. Credit to O''Neil who I thought was excellent again today.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Today''s result provides further evidence of our failure in the transfer window. We had the easiest of starts to this season but failed to capitalise. Suspect we''ll finish 19th above Bournemouth. Credit to O''Neil who I thought was excellent again today.[/quote]Hmmm, lets not get carried away here, am not sure how losing away to the Premiership champions really quantifies our season so far?

I''m pretty confident of finishing above Bournemouth and Villa but that 3rd spot looks ominous.

Big Sam has enough time and experience to sort Sunderland out and Newcastle have a talented squad that may come good.

In my humble opinion our survival rests on who the Toon appoint to replace McClaren.

We obviously have a limited budget and obviously need some cover at CB. However whether we need to splash the cash on a CB is another question. The last 3 games have shown, given the right system, we can hold our own in defence, however we lack a poacher and if Defoe is to be released then he could be the answer, at least temporarily.