Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

In for Ron Vlaar

That''s a big If Bor, class player in his day though. If we do go for him it will be seen as the cheap option, regardless of his wage demands and signing on fee.

A fully fit Ron Vlaar back at his best could transform our defence over night.

The financial risk of a very high signing on fee and the fact that we would probably crash through our wages ceiling would be well worth it, IMO.

If the opportunity of getting his signature arises it will be a decision which will need be taken by the medics rather than the accountants.

If he''s recovered from the injury I hope we sign him. Yes he''s getting old and is from Aston Villa, but the reason he''s a free agent isn''t because he wasn''t offered a new contract, it''s because he rejected the new contract he was offered. He also sounds like a decent captain, as he led Villa to the FA Cup final last season

Personally I hope we sign him if he''s injury free, as we desperately need to invest in defenders and we would only be spending money on his contract, as he''s a free agent

There''s no doubt on his ability, if we were to sign him and he got fit and on form he''d probably be our best defender, - the problem is how long it would take to get properly match fit. If he has recovered from his operations and is/has been in training then trying to sign him is a bit of a no brainer.

whilst we need a centre back a new right back is a much higher priority, someone with a bit of height and a lot more pace than what we currently havevlaar is a risk id be happy with but we need some pace around him, he wasnt the quickest before this injury

[quote user="iron_stan"]whilst we need a centre back a new right back is a much higher priority, someone with a bit of height and a lot more pace than what we currently havevlaar is a risk id be happy with but we need some pace around him, he wasnt the quickest before this injury[/quote]With having three recognised right backs in the squad already I think we should definitely be looking to sign at least another two in January.Binner.

[quote user="Iwans Big Toe"]With having three recognised right backs in the squad already I think we should definitely be looking to sign at least another two in January.Binner.

[/quote]yes, we have three, but wisdom, martin and whittaker are all 5h1t, slow and painfully rubbish at defending ;)r3tard x

No thanks. We should aim for better, and possibly younger defenders, with more pace. Too much risk with his injury record of late, and will not be cheap despite being a free agent.

As others said, he was not quick before his injury layoff, and is not getting younger and quicker.

Not sure about this one. I think he wanted to leave Villa to play at a higher level, so not sure he''d be the man for us scrapping near the bottom.

If he were fully fit, up for it and his wage demands didn''t upset the applecart, then maybe.

He did seem to want to play at a higher level side, but with his recent injury situation I can''t imagine too many top sides would take a chance - a side at our level seems far more likely to be where he''ll end up.

Beggars can''t be choosers-meaning that if bigger clubs are put off by his recent injury, perhaps a lesser club like us is the best that he is going to get.

But it also means that if we can''t attract better, quicker, younger defenders, maybe he will be the best that we can get.

And who wouldn''t want a player who lead his team to a World Cup semi-final less than 18 months ago?

I''m going to go out there and say I think the article this comes from is a bit error strewn.

Fro example - he is a free agent, so technically we could sign him now, or get him to sign a pre-contractual agreement for him to officially sign in January.

He''s a free agent, there is absolutely nothing stopping those from happening.

I''m not too hot on the exact rules, but I assume that as he was not named in our squad he can''t officially sign for us until January when he could be named for the 2nd half of the season.

We certainly have space in the squad.

Also, it would be odd, if he was offered a contract by Lazio and other rumours suggest Man Utd interest, if he was to sign for us considering the reason he let his contract run down was to move to a bigger club.

No idea if this is just take-a-chance journalism or any high level interest ended with his injury?

Would be a bit of a coup if he signed and if he could get back to the levels he was performing at before.

He''ll be 31 in February, and after the injury he''s had, he will be lucky to get back to performing at close to the level he was.

Would cost a fortune in wages and signing on fee.
I wouldn''t be devastated if we signed him, but I wouldn''t be proclaiming him as our defence''s saviour until we see what he has left in the tank post-injury. In addition, it''s not just one injury, he''s had several in the last year or so.
Personally, I''m more inclined to hope that the speculation about signing Torino captain Kamil Glik (rumoured in the mirror and others last week) is accurate than the speculation of us speculating on Vlaar being able to reproduce the form he was in, considering he has basically been on the treatment table for 15months. I''ve been calling for us to sign Glik for a couple of years now - he''s 6''2, will be 28 in Feb, and is an absolute machine. He would improve our defence immensely. Currently in form, playing at a decent level, and a very capable player, and a leader of men/organiser in defence too (and has spent a total of 7 days injured in his entire career for what it''s worth).

[quote user="chicken"]I''m going to go out there and say I think the article this comes from is a bit error strewn.

Fro example - he is a free agent, so technically we could sign him now, or get him to sign a pre-contractual agreement for him to officially sign in January.

He''s a free agent, there is absolutely nothing stopping those from happening.

I''m not too hot on the exact rules, but I assume that as he was not named in our squad he can''t officially sign for us until January when he could be named for the 2nd half of the season.

We certainly have space in the squad.

Also, it would be odd, if he was offered a contract by Lazio and other rumours suggest Man Utd interest, if he was to sign for us considering the reason he let his contract run down was to move to a bigger club.

No idea if this is just take-a-chance journalism or any high level interest ended with his injury?

Would be a bit of a coup if he signed and if he could get back to the levels he was performing at before.[/quote]This is all theoretical, but if I have understood the rules then we could sign him now and play him now, because he is a free agent and we only named 24 players in our squad rather than 25.

I was in Holland last weekend watching Ajax and brought up the topic of Big Ron signing for someone soon, the reaction i got from the Cloggies i was talking to was along the lines of ......'''' Ron Vlaar, yeah , he was ok , but too slow for modern football, and now he hasnt played for nearly one and one half years...... are you English mad?....oh yes, you are , you bought RVW didnt you. Ha Ha Ha ''''......not many that i spoke to thought he will ever play again at a top tier club.( Ron , not Ricky, but probably true for him too). Joel Veltman at Ajax, now there is a centre half with a few good years ahead of him.

I don''t think he is the answer to our needs, i think he''s too much of a risk, even if fit has he the speed and ability to plug the gaps.

I''d like to see us aim for young up and coming who can grow with the squad, I''d love to see us aim for Jairo Riedwald from Ajax, he''s only 19 but is holding his own in the Ajax squad as a CB, and has enough ability already to have been in the Dutch Squad.

We could even go for a double swoop and go for Kenny Tete too to cover RB.

[quote user="Andy G"]I don''t think he is the answer to our needs, i think he''s too much of a risk, even if fit has he the speed and ability to plug the gaps.

I''d like to see us aim for young up and coming who can grow with the squad, I''d love to see us aim for Jairo Riedwald from Ajax, he''s only 19 but is holding his own in the Ajax squad as a CB, and has enough ability already to have been in the Dutch Squad.

We could even go for a double swoop and go for Kenny Tete too to cover RB.[/quote]
Tete and Tettey in the same team? Goreham wouldn''t thank you for that suggestion! [:D]

The bigger the generally perceived risk the cheaper he will be, and financial safeguards could be put in place.

I want us to take that risk, although the Curtis Davies as well would seal the issue (unlikely.)

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Andy G"]I don''t think he is the answer to our needs, i think he''s too much of a risk, even if fit has he the speed and ability to plug the gaps.

We could even go for a double swoop and go for Kenny Tete too to cover RB.[/quote]
Tete and Tettey in the same team? Goreham wouldn''t thank you for that suggestion! [:D]
[/quote]

I hadn''t thought of that, guess it''d be like Bennett and Bennett, or if we ever had the Murphy boys playing together... God forbid all 4 playing at once.. Its Bennett to Bennett who passes to Murphy who see''s Murphy and sets him up nicely!!

I think January Transfer window could be exciting as we all know that we need some big signings, I just hope we aren''t left feeling disappointed at a lack of movement again