Sign in to follow this  
Clint

Redmond & Brady

If we''re going to keep playing as we have in the last few games ie let the opposition have the ball and soak up pressure, then these two are going to be vital to pose any kind of counter attacking threat.

Based on yesterday''s game, I thought they looked worlds apart. Brady was happy to run with the ball and have a go but Redmond is just so frustrating. I don''t remember him once getting the ball and heading straight at Chelsea''s goal. He just dithers and usually just ends up going sideways.

Ivanovic was all over the place, Begovic and Zouma are shaky, Terry is old and slow and I''ve never even heard of Kenedy! Have a go at them.

Redmond has so much pace and ability but seems to lack the confidence to do anything with it. Brady and Olssen again looked very good down the left but there was absolutely nothing in an attacking sense from the rest of the pitch.

Playing as we are, Redmond needs to take the responsibility and actually become the player everyone wants and expects him to be.

Or it could be a very boring season!

I''m not sure that Redmond knew where he was supposed to be playing yesterday-he popped up on the left wing a couple of times, in the middle and on the right-maybe he had a roaming role but he didn''t seem to know what to do.

I agree that Brady looked much more dangerous on the ball and also was prepared to put a tackle in-other fans around me were pointing out that Redmond rarely puts his foot in.

My only concern about the Olsson/Brady combination is that on every occasion that Chelsea launched a counter-attack it was down our left side-even when it was still 0-0 and we weren''t chasing the game so much.

I have reached the point that I am now not worried about selling Redmond, but not in January.

He is frustrating - when he comes on as a sub we wonder why he didn''t start the game, and when he starts the game we wonder why he wasn''t used as an impact sub.

Redmond scored a great goal at Wembley but I am afraid to say he just has not moved on. Seems to lack confidence and at times treats the ball like a hot potato and is one of the worst culprits for giving away possession. Furthermore it is noticeable that he is reluctant to take on defenders on the outside. This season there has been no improvement in his crossing. Very much like Lennon and Wright-Phillips. Tricky and looks difficult to contain but the end result should be better. Has too many quiet spells. Has the ability but must improve if he is to make his mark at the higher level.

Redderz started really well this season, unfortunately he went off the boil.

Shame, but we''re lucky to have him; good player and so young as well.

Mrs,

I agree he has ability but a bit like Walcott in his younger years, doesn''t seem to have the ''football brain'' yet. Hopefully that will come but it may not? Personally I like think young Jacob could step up, whilst both Murphys have talent I think Jacob is the most likely to become a Premier player, but what do I know?

Even Walcott in his early 20s scored double figures 3 seasons in a row.

So it''d be lovely if Redderz could get to that level. But he won''t because he doesn''t have killer pace like Walcott.

Nor is he as selfish.

You seem to be overlooking the basic difference between Redders and Walcott. One is basically a striker whilst our man isn''t! Hence the far better goal scoring ability from Walcott.

You seem to be overlooking that most of Walcott''s goals have come from playing out wide.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Redmond got a good shot off in the first half immediately before the Ruddy save. Enjoy him, we shall be unable to retain his services beyond this transfer window.[/quote]
How awkward is it going to be when you''re wrong..yet again?

Red Rufus wrote the following post at 24/11/2015 6:31 AM:

You seem to be overlooking the basic difference between Redders and Walcott. One is basically a striker whilst our man isn''t! Hence the far better goal scoring ability from Walcott.

-----------------------------

I''m sorry but do you remember what Walcott was like a few years ago. He''s 26 now. Redmond is 21.

Wacott apps in PL: 6(2) - 4 goals

Redmond apps in PL: 8(4) - 4 goals

Not quite as good as Walcott, but not bad considering how young he is; plus the act that he''s in a team that is significantly better and will get more chances.

I have a theory about English players (Such as Redmond) and that percieved lack of football brains, maybe brains in general.

For a start, football is a game for cool people, and if I remember correctly, they weren''t that bright at school. So the base level of intelligence is generally already quite low. Add to this the fact that many top players are identified early and give up academically.

So we end up with grown men who gave up on any kind of analytical understanding of situations and events in their early teens.

This doesn''t really matter on the surface of it, but it goes even further as our university sports (sports generally played by intelligent youngsters) are traditionally rugby, hockey and other sports of the snooty variety.

So my theory basically amounts to English players failing to recognise the importance of the tactical demands placed on them and are less likely to know how react to changes in a game. This for me is evident at International tournaments where we look like we don''t know what to do!!

Where as countries with a university football culture seemed to look more accompalished. Also we don''t have street football either (Which is at the other end of the spectrum), where people learn to be canny on the pitch, so our dimmest really have no chance.

This is awash with generalisations of course, and perhaps the lack of raw football coaching and talent is the problem but I don''t think so (Redmond has , as there are simply so much interest in football in this country.

I thought it was just me but it isnt lol, I too find Redmond very frustrating at times. He''s got bags of talent, is fast but after a dazzling run, there''s often no end product.

I wouldn''t sell him in January either but wouldn''t be too upset if he left in the summer for the right price.

Really like Jarvis, think he''ll get better and better

I''m always amazed by how quickly some people change their minds.

He''s still only 21, there aren''t many 21-year-old players in the world, never mind from this country, that will perform on a consistent week-in-week-out basis, so why jump on his back when he doesn''t? He''s the best yoing talent we have and has shown improvement. He''s also the best right winger we have and when you consider his potential we would have to pay a good amount of money to get an improvement.

I, for one, would be sad to see him go.

This isn''t supposed to be an anti-Redmond thread and I certainly don''t want to see him sold. He is still young but has played nearly 200 matches all in the top 2 divisions. We can''t keep saying that forever! Brady isn''t a great deal older and has played less matches.

I suppose the point I''m trying to make is that Redmond has all the ability in the world but seems reluctant to use it. Brady on the other hand, seems far happier attacking and taking on players, which I find odd, given the two players natural attributes.

Redmond could be the next Huckerby/Eadie and could frighten the pants off defenders with his pace and dribbling ability if he had a bit more conviction. At the moment, I just think he''s way to easy to defend against.

for me both players are key to our attacking future and I would be disappointed to lose either over the next 18 months.

Wasnt redmond involved in something like 13 out of 17 of our goals (scoring or assists) in a run from the end of last and start of this? Add this season that no player has more key creative passes and goals and an assist more than Brady and I find it hard to accept he is lacking an end product. Yes he is frustrating yet, at just 21, he is clearly still learning and improving while already causing prem defences problems. We havent seen the best of him yet.

Brady is a gem proving to be adept in many roles and is a star.

I think part of the reason people find redders frustrating is that we all can see what he can, and should, but sometimes doesn''t , DO.

We have very high expectations of Nathan.

Robbie Brady however, came here thought of as overpriced by many, yet has proved, so far, to be versatile, skillful and committed.

Both, imho are decent players, Brady shading it at the moment on consistency . Nathan will have great days again.

Certainly agree that he''s a top player. I do hope my long winded explanation about how some young English players may struggle to live up to their potential cos they don''t understand how too, is not seen as an attack on the boy.

IMO, Redmond has a great deal of talent but hasn''t quite learned yet how to utilise it to the full. I''m not sure he appreciates he can be just as effective without the ball at his feet as he can with it at his feer. Simply by running into space he can create a multitude of problems for the opposition.

Very rarely do we see him run onto a ball played into space and beat the FB with pace without the ball.

I''m sincerely hoping that he wil grow into this awareness, then we will see him fulfill his potential.

That said he has played over 200 games now but of course is still a young man building his self awareness, his self image and understanding of the game and tremendous part he can play in it, hopefully for NCFC.

Lowfen, your theory sounds brilliant but once you think it through, it loses most of its shine. Young academy players may not be able to negotiate trade agreements or tax codes, but they must get game strategies beat into them over the years.

What would be some examples of top flight national teams with a university culture? In some leagues (NHL, EPL) a significant proportion of the players are at least good enough to play there well before reaching university graduation age, and having them spend years competing against lesser competition could be detrimental.