Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Pick your Worst Team of the last Twenty Years

GK: Theo (maybe not a bad ''keeper, but one bad game and a terrible response afterwards by going awol! Must be the worst debut and indeed NCFC by anyone, ever!)

LB: Derveld (The opposite of a fans favourite. Terrible, sent on loan to WB where he played just twice and failed to make an impression. Says it all!)

RB: Louis-Jean (Signed to be first choice RB, failed to play more than 2 games. Flop!)

CB: McGovern (Failed to make the first team even with McKay injured - Darrell Russell was preferred instead. Says it all really!)

CB: Walsh (Spent the entire time injured, played 5 times in total before his contract was cancelled. Flop!)

CM: Jarrett - (Failed to impress or really do anything meaningful with a football during his time at NCFC)

CM: Anselin (Failed to make an impact under two managers before moving on.)

LW: De Waard (Injury after injury, made just 22 appearances in 2 seasons. Left by Mutual Consent. Flop.)

RW: Garry Brady (WHO?! I hear you ask. We insisted on signing him twice on loan from Newcastle under Hamilton. Why? God knows!)

Koroma (5 games, no goals)

Ricky (No justification needed; biggest flop in NCFC history! Yes there have been worse that haven''t scored, but I feel his transfer fee disaster officially makes him the worst NCFC player, ever.)

Ian Murray.

The b*llend got into trouble again this week for criticising the St Mirren fans for booing a team he has taken to a relegation and towards the bottom of the Scottish Championship. He came up with the following comment - “Fans are entitled to their opinions but, without being patronising, I think I know a bit more about football than them,”.

Apples

No mention yet for Troy Archibald-Henville in the ''pointless loanees'' column.In terms of players who actually played regularly, I''d definitely have Carl Robinson in there. Seriously, I just couldn''t work out what he was supposed to be good at. He couldn''t pass, tackle, head, shoot... he was slow... just bloody awful.And in recent times Ignasi Miquel was a rather spectacular non-event.

Shaun Carey was one of the first players I remember being really, really bad.

[quote user="chrisr1606"]Juan Velasco needs a mention. Didn''t Roeder haul him off after 20 minutes in one his brief appearances?[/quote]Thanks chrisr, I''ve been trying to think of his name ever since this thread started. [:)]

[quote user="NCFC198"]Simon Whaley must be in with a shout[/quote]
Well we signed him after he had a brilliant season for I think Preston, Lambert never played him (or did he once?) and since then he''s pretty much had to retire from football.

I’d have OJ Koroma in the side for (a) being one of the worst players to play for City and (b) one of the most dubious (and that’s being kind….) selections I’ve ever seen for us.

I was at the MK Dons match where Koroma started and he looked pacey but that was it. Didn’t expect him to feature much at all for City based on what I saw. A couple of sub appearances and then he disappeared for quite some time.

And then, as if by magic he appeared in the starting XI at Southampton, which purely by coincidence was the closest away game to his parent club - Portsmouth.

Will leave others draw their own conclusions from that one.

Mmmmmm lot been mentioned already, Hartson was a massive disappointment as was Cottee, however players like Paul Dalglish, Elvis Hammond, Marc Libbra (brilliant start with a wonder goal, then ?) also tempted to Fotheringham in the mix, which I''m sure at lot of you wont agree with.

Surely by definition, you can only have a striker who hasn''t scored for us in this team? If not, you have to include Kamara and Wilbraham. What''s the difference between a poor striker and a cult hero?

Oh and they''d have to wear the all yellow Pony kit from the late 90s.

Woodman, Wilbrahamovic is not a flop. He might not have been the best striker we''ve ever had but he was by no means the worst.

He won promotion with us and played an important part in scoring as we beat Leicester 3-2. He is an elite member of the ''promoted from every tier of the football league'' club. He has also scored in all divisions including his 100th league goal coming in the Prem against Fulham. He''s hardly a candidate for the ''worst team''! He''s even gone on to do well after his stint with us despite age being against him!

can''t believe there''s only been one mention of Shaun Carey so far....not just the worst player in the last 20 yrs, but arguably in our history.

a central midfielder who couldnt run,pass,tackle,shoot or control a ball.....the slowest midfielder or player in general we''ve ever had.

remember him forming the midfiled ''partnership'' with Peter Grant in the 0-5 defeat at Ipswich, Mathie hattrick game.

still cant understand how he blagged his way into becoming a professional footballer?

On that mention of Doherty I will never, ever, forget about his red card rugby tackle sending off at Carrow Road. Talk about taking one for the team, literally dived at him with all his bodyweight. From memory it was only just inside our half! Madness!

He did always like a hug. Sadly the opposition players and quite often the referee weren''t so keen.

Lots of good mentions on here and so many to choose from. I''ll throw in David Bell, Carl Cort and Alan Gow from Roeders collection of terrible signings, Stefanovic was another he signed on big wages and saw nothing from. Also Chris Brown who I think was a Grant signing.

Lee Croft has to be the worst player to ever win player of the season. He was dreadful, run around for 60 minutes then have to be taken off because he was done. Surely only won it for the goal against Ipswich.

They don''t come much more League Two than Keith Scott, IMO.

How such a limited player made his way through the ranks defies the belief that only the "creme de la creme"make it in the professional game.

Although he brought muscle, height and some heading ability to the table he had little else, and no footwork whatsoever.

Having said that, the last time I saw him play in the Yellow was at St. Andrews and I was accompanied by an ardent Tottenham supporting friend.

He immediately focussed upon Scott saying that that "Centre forward of yours looks useful."

My claims that he was nothing but a donkey were refuted as the player was to subsequently thump a winning header in from the edge of the six yard box.

My friend''s parting shot was that he, "hoped Spurs would sign that player."

This from the supporter of a club brought up on a diet of the silky attacking skills of the likes of Alan Gilzean.

Beauty is surely in the eyes of the beholder, in football at least.

Strictly speaking Coney doesn''t qualify, as he played in the 1989/90 season - yes folks, that''s 25 years ago!

According to wiki, we paid £350k for him, just £50k less than we paid for Grant Holt...

I think picking a worst ever team has to take into account a number of criteria.

Firstly, cost is significant. I know Dean Coney is singled out a lot but £350,000 (about £800,000 in today''s money taking into account inflation) is a relatively modest investment compared to Ricky Van Wolfswinkel at £8.5 million who delivered a similarly woeful output.

Secondly, I think the attitude of the player is significant. Andy Hughes was an absolutely dreadfully footballer, but I''ll forgive him a lot because no one tried harder. The attitude of people like Walsh and Cottee was disgraceful in comparison as they were happy to turn up disgustingly overweight and collect their wages.

Thirdly, does a player need to be just terrible for a sustained period of time? The likes of Theoklitos, Velasco and Boyle were awful but they were bad for such a short period of time they weren''t that damaging to us a team. Whereas arguably a player like Simon Tracey, who was terrible over a long period, really did cost us a lot of points.

Theo

Otsemebor Segura Derveld Velasco

Whaley K Robinson Brellier De Waard

Cureton (relegation season) Hartson

Subs:

Coote

Scott

Fotheringham

Gow

Benjamin

Adrian Coote. Now there''s a name to forget. Scored loads for the youth but wouldn''t get any further than that.

[quote user="UpperBarclay"]I think Robert Rosario would have to figure somewhere.[/quote]

NO WAY SHOULD HE BE INCLUDED, SCORING SOME CRACKING GOALS, DID YOU EVER SEE HIM .

Back off Keith Scott guys. You peasants obviously don''t remember his glorious debut goal away at Watford (which happened to be on my birthday). A player with a 1 in 2 goal to league starts ratio. He also speaks highly of the club. Is that not enough for you ingrates!? An NCFC legend. End of.