Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Martin and Whitts - long way back

Wisdom owns the right back now. Really good performance vs Arsenal, and his pace is much needed. Not as good as Whitts offensively, but definitively an upgrade on Whitts overall.

Is it a coincidence that we have looked much more solid at the back with Martin out of the side? Could be, but it has more to do with AN adopting a more pragmatic approach to games, sitting back a bit, not going gung-ho, etc.

But Ryan Bennett have dont little wrong since coming in, and he is a monster in the air, winning most of his headers, something we rarely counted on Martin to do.

Yes, for me, R.Bennett is a better defender, especially at this point in time.

When we play a game where we are sitting back, the pace of the defenders is not such a big deal, compared to when we play a high back line.

I think Russell Martin would play well in this redefined defensive setup too, but at the moment he is not getting his shirt back unless someone else loses his.

I agree that the positions are the existing players to lose at the moment. No reason to change it on the back of the recent performances. I think it has helped the defence with the change of tactics to a more solid defensive approach. Overall though they have played very well recently.

It''s nice that after we hold Arsenal to a draw, "Grefstad" starts two threads.
One is this one, knocking two of our players.
The second is entitled "Does Ruddy need a shrink?"
I''ll leave it to your judgement re: what''s really going on here.

I do wonder if and when some posters will admit that perhaps some of the thoughts expressed towards these two players were valid.

The grief some posters got when they hinted that these two might not be our best defenders was unreal at times. They now have a bit of egg on their faces.