Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Take a Bow Gary O'Neil

It seems to have gone largely unremarked about on here, but what a good job he''s done in the last few weeks.

I''ll admit that I was very surprised when he was named in the starting line up against Swansea, but in the last three games he has been excellent. There''s been plenty of drive, energy and competitiveness, but what''s really shone out has been his experience. His use of the ball has been simple, but intelligent and what a great organiser he is.

It''s been noticeable that often when there''s a break in play he''s straight over to Alex Neil for a quick update and discussion about how the game''s going. Also he''s always motivating and organising the other players around him. I was particularly struck yesterday how the moment Joel Campbell came on for Arsenal O''Neil was shouting at Robbie Brady and making it clear that Campbell was going to be Brady''s responsibility. Also O''Neil was first on the scene trying to defuse the situation in the Bennett/Sanchez camera pit incident.

There''s been a lot of debate on this board at times in the last couple of seasons about Russell Martin/Seb Bassong and the captaincy. In Gary O''Neil we may well have found the answer.

He has been fantastic since he''s been back in the team. Really composed and comfortable on the ball, the type of player we have been missing, I''m probably alone in this but I thought he was actually at fault for the goal yesterday, whilst Ruddy didn''t make the best clearance, it did go directly to O''Neil who''s heavy touched allowed Sanchez in.

O''Neill has played well, and is a captain-like figure on the pitch. Vocal, and always in the thick of the action.

He is inspiring, and probably a very annoying player to play against with his all-action approach, constant roughing, etc.

I think he may fit even better with someone like Mulumbu or Tettey by his side. Dorrans is just a bit too static for my liking.

It was no surprise to see o''neill put in good performances. He is a seasoned premiership professional.

He is an ideal leader of the group, has proved wxaxtly why he is a good pick up and glad he is playing and part of our first team squad.

I don''t blame him for the goal, it was a culmination of an indecisive back pass from Olsson, a poor kick from Ruddy and a very poor first touch from O''Neil. On the plus side he is doing a great job for us at the moment.

He''s a safe pair of hands but imo we need someone better to play regularly. Good squad player to have, much like Russ Martin, very professional and always does a job and you know what you''re gonna get - 100% effort.