Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Rudd.....now or never?

After Ruddy''s show yesterday surely Rudd must start the next game.

It''s clear that Ruddy''s confidence is totally shot, must be give a break for his own sake. He must be a huge worry for the defenders in front of him, just as the defenders have shown a big improvement.

If 27000 could see it yesterday hope AN does and do Ruddy a favour and drop him. Even Joe Hart has been dropped and returned better for it.

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]After Ruddy''s show yesterday surely Rudd must start the next game.

It''s clear that Ruddy''s confidence is totally shot, must be give a break for his own sake. He must be a huge worry for the defenders in front of him, just as the defenders have shown a big improvement.

If 27000 could see it yesterday hope AN does and do Ruddy a favour and drop him. Even Joe Hart has been dropped and returned better for it.[/quote]

A bit too strong imo, he may not be totally at his best, but is still doing well a lot of the time. Rudd could do just as well if not better than Ruddy, but there may be a time to drop Ruddy - and on the back of a set of results that has seen the defence only let in 5 goals in six matches, it is not the time to do that now.  

I think it''s fair to say that Rudd deserves a chance. He''s a good keeper and our number one hasn''t been performing...

his kicking was terrible one which cost us , he clearly has something on his mind or just out of form I think rudd should be given a chance ,

I think the better defence record in recent games maybe something to do with RM not being there more than ruddy ?

ruddy has played well in some games but he is becoming more prone to mistakes , his flap at that cross was embarrassing he was nowhere near it !!!

Ruddy is out best keeper. AN see''s training every day and has no doubt in that fact. I support this.

Rudd is a good keeper, but you want your best 11 playing every week. If Rudd is not better than Ruddy then he shouldn''t be starting. Experience goes a long way and Rudd is short of PL experience compared to Ruddy. Yes Ruddy has made a few mistakes, but so has every keeper in every game across the weekend - we were just unfortunate that it fell to one of the best attacking midfielders in the PL who made the most of it. He''s also won us points let''s not forget that...

How many rickets do you tolerate before you consider a change is necessary? This is the question AN considers in making his team selections. JR has made a few points costing bloopers this season and on the basis of form alone it might be reasonable to consider it time for a change. However I''m sure the opponents come into AN''s thinking when pondering this. We have just played Manchester City, Chelsea and Arsenal who, all on their day, can shred a defence. Are these the teams to put in a rookie keeper or do you stick with the experienced and generally reliable choice? We know that AN is not afraid to make the calls that might seem questionable to us if he thinks it necessary. No doubt DR will get his chance when AN deems it right.

I agree with the OP.

Sometimes a manager sticks with a player who looks to be under-performing and doesn''t bring in another squad member when to us fans it looks like an obvious change to make.  To me, that was the position with Russell Martin at CB from the start of this season, with Ryan Bennett the replacement.  I find myself in the same position about Ruddy/Rudd.

Of course sometimes the fans are calling for a change and when the manager makes it, it doesn''t work out.  But equally, sometimes a manager sticks with a player too long and when the change is finally made, as with Ryan Bennett, it is the right thing to do.

Who''d be a football manager with thousands of fans second guessing your every decision ?

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

I agree with the OP.

Sometimes a manager sticks with a player who looks to be under-performing and doesn''t bring in another squad member when to us fans it looks like an obvious change to make.  To me, that was the position with Russell Martin at CB from the start of this season, with Ryan Bennett the replacement.  I find myself in the same position about Ruddy/Rudd.

Of course sometimes the fans are calling for a change and when the manager makes it, it doesn''t work out.  But equally, sometimes a manager sticks with a player too long and when the change is finally made, as with Ryan Bennett, it is the right thing to do.

Who''d be a football manager with thousands of fans second guessing your every decision ?

[/quote]I would!! But I''d be $hit at it.I too am in the OP''s camp on this one. I think Rudd is ready. He was great in the 2 league cup games I watched.Ruddy just looks like dear in the headlights at the moment, for whatever reason. It pains me to say it because I love Ruddy, but I think he needs to be dropped.

As we finally have our best back 4, drop Ruddy and give Rudd a chance, who knows he could be our Jack Butland.

Ruddy is a one footed goalkeeper with poor distribution and poor clearances even using his better foot. Strikers will now close Ruddy down to his right and force him to clear with his left. He looks panicky in these situations because he is, he does not trust his left foot.Having said that, the number of times that our defenders do not take the responsibility on themselves to clear the ball and  use the pass back opt out instead is far too high for players at this level.I think Rudd is a more confident and competent keeper, I have seen too many flaps at crosses and miss kicks from Ruddy to warrant the change.

Still Ruddy for me. Kicking long is always going to be tough when you have swirling wind and rain. At the time that kick happened I was getting very wet under cover in the Barclay as the wind blew the rain in. Doesn''t help either when your defenders, 3 times in a short space of time, play unneeded back passes on your weaker foot when under pressure. These guys play with him every day and should know he''s not left footed by now. As for the goal there were opportunities for Olson to clear before that back pass and for O''Neil to take the ball in or flick it on after the miscued kick. It was a collection of errors and Ruddy seems to be taking all the blame. When actually his form is improving and yesterday he even began coming for crosses again and wanted to dominate his 6 yard box.

Also why do people think dropping him will miraculously restore his confidence? I think it is just as likely to have the opposite effect and damage it further, after a public show of support from his manager to drop him will be contradictory to this.

No one''s mentioned the great save he pulled off 5 mins before the goal (or indeed the 2 good clearances on his left foot prior to the mistake). Maybe he should have been looking to get the ball out of play rather than down the middle of the pitch, but that would probably have been met with even more criticism from the crowd and on here. The weather yesterday was shocking for a goalkeeper - slippery. wet, windy.

The conditions seem to have been mostly ignored on here. I think over all we benefited because the wind was a bit of a leveller and if anything we coped with it better. Maybe that''s one thing that''s not so obvious on TV. But it was horrendous conditions for a keeper.

Last 5 games Ruddy''s made few mistakes and many saves. Some people are still catching up with our current form.

I don''t put yesterday''s goal soley down to Ruddy''s clearance. There were others equally culpable. The conditions were obvious to the defenders who put him under that pressure.

I thought Rudd should have kept his place after Everton and said so. However since then the whole team has defended well including Ruddy. If you look for a mistake you will find one all over the pitch.

And I can say these things because I want to :)

I agree that Rudd''s development could be hindered if we don''t start him soon. He may even end up being a better keeper than Ruddy. But is he better for us now? in the circumstances we find ourselves in? I''m not so sure.

I also saw a deliberate effort from Ruddy to try and dominate his box more. So his mind is clearly on it because he wants to respond to criticisms and improve for the team, this makes me think we should stick with him.

At least we have 2 good keepers viewed as good enough for the first team! Could be worse.

The trouble is we do too much fuffing around at the back - last season & this season we have continually created our own problems by trying to be too clever.We are not Bayern Munich & Ruddy is not Manuel Neuer.Why does a player, who is under no real pressure and is further up the pitch than Ruddy, pass back to him when there is nothing to be gained from it?

I trust AN''s judgement-who would have foreseen Grabban starting yesterday? The manager would be taking a huge risk in playing Ruddy if he had any doubts about his ability, his confidence, concentration or whatever it is that people think is lacking in him at the moment.

He does look really short of confidence- he doesn''t seem to have any idea when to come and when not to. He was lucky to get away with a couple of flaps today, although it is unfair to blame the Arsenal goal on him solely (terrible backpass, terrible control by O''Neil).

There seem to be fans on here who seem to think any suggestion in a change to regular first team players is an act of treason.

I hope AN is learning from the Martin and Whitts issue that u need to make changes as soon as form dips not wait . That unfortunately is where we have a problem with not enough competition for back positions.

The goalkeeper position is no different and Ruddy has made several very poor decisions in recent months .

To blame anyone other than Ruddy for the Arsenal goal is ridiculous, yes not great backpass but he could have punted it out for throwin or with bit more ball skill moved onto other foot .

Oniell couldnt be blamed he was expecting high clearance not one wacked straight at him.

Rudd has looked excellent in goal this season, any other position in team and he would be playing just like Wisdom is now.

As for the one punter who said noexperience at this level how ridiculous most of our squad came from lower leagues

The weather was difficult but not a factor for the goal when he had a back pass played on the ground to him.

Olsson and ONeill should each take part of the blame but the main mistake was by Ruddy - Olsson gave him a back pass onto his weaker foot but he should be able to make a decent clearance with either foot, and ONeill had a very difficult job to try to control the clearance when it came to him. So all 3 were partly to blame but Ruddy was more at fault I''m afraid.

Yes he did make a decent save shortly before but the shot was chest high and straight to him so you would expect a Prem keeper to save it comfortably.

Yes the defence has improved since the personnel changes were made in front of him but you can''t get away from the fact that against both Arsenal and Man City it is a goalkeeping mistake which has cost us a goal and you just can''t afford that at this level.

Aside from the obvious error for the goal and the numerous other poor kicks, I can''t see that anyone''s mentioned the rediculous star jump he did in front of the Barclay in the second half?!

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]The weather was the same for both keepers!![/quote]

It was. And it was the same for all the ball boys and even me in the front of the blankets. But Ruddy had a lot more ball to deal with than Czech. If the stats are available I think you''ll probably find around twice as much. I bet Czech was relieved.

But in any case. Czech''s a far better keeper than Ruddy. He has hundreds of club games at the very highest level and well over a hundred international caps. I''d stake my life that he''s better than Rudd too.

It''s the first team we need to strengthen in January, not the squad.  Will there be money there to sign several quality players in January?  If not, then we surely need to focus on solely the areas of the first team that are in most need of strengthening?  Reading this thread, goalkeeper is one of them. Why ''risk'' putting Rudd in, in case he''s not good enough, (but conversely how would you ever find out whether he''s good enough, if you don''t try him?), Jake Kean seems further back than Rudd, so that leaves either playing an off form Ruddy because we don''t THINK there is anyone better, or we sign another keeper in January?The solution is, we sign a quality keeper in January.  So that''s that sorted.  The defence has looked a lot better of late and I can''t see there being enough money to sign a quality first team defender as well as a keeper and striker, so that leaves us looking at a quality striker to strenghten the first team.  Job done and another year in the Prem with all that extra TV money, here we come!