Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

OT - Computer Issues

For some long time I have had difficulties accessing this forum. In short, I could sign on using Internet Explorer ( version 7 ....I never wanted to move to V8 ) but was absolutely unable to sign on with Firefox. I have sought help with the administrators on this issue a number of times but without any beneficial outcome.

The added frustration was that, in using Explorer, the process of signing on and entering each different posting for each and every thread different thread was so long a time cycle ( little round ball constantly revolving for up to 3-4 minutes ) that I eventually just stopped posting other than for Rays Funds thread.

A few days ago, I reluctantly decided to install Windows 10 and, presto, my problems with speed disappeared when accessing this forum. I was delighted. However, I noticed two things....1) The functionality heading at the top when generating a "post" had disappeared and 2) that when I was using the "quote" feature I was now generating the gibberish that one does without adjusting the "compatibility view" settings. This caused me to notice that my toolbar had disappeared. I reinstalled it only to find out, to my great annoyance, that the long cycle problems had then resurfaced.

Can anyone help me to overcome this using Explorer? Please do not encourage me to use Firefox as I know, from long experience working with Pete and others, that will not get me to where I need to go ( for whatever reason ).

Thanks Lapp. I had forgotten about that thread. I have just re-read it ( all ) and I am getting a headache....again. There is nothing on there that solves my problem but I will keep poking around....or it''s back to "Ray''s Funds" only.

At the moment, what I know is....I can have speed without functionality....or functionality without speed. Somehow, this is starting to mix up in my brain to equate to some of the lesser teams in the Premier League.

Bor, perhaps I didn''t explain very clearly in my OP what I am experiencing or perhaps, which is even more likely, I am not savvy enough to comprehend your meaning now.

When I upgraded to Windows 10 this allowed me to use Explorer with speed in accessing this forum. However, my headings when posting in the Pink Un had disappeared, along with my toolbar in Explorer for establishing "compatibility view". When I reinstalled the toolbar in order to set the "compatibility view" for the Pink Un my speed disappeared.

When you refer to "compatibility mode" is that something different from what I have just explained and, if so, how do I invoke that?

You shouldn''t need to install anything to get Compatibility Mode, or add any toolbars. It is inbuilt functionality.

I am on my mobile ATM but assume Lapps has linked to the "Agent Switcher" add-on which will work. You could install Chrome and then add the agent switcher to run as Firefox for Windows.

Let me look into the IE point a bit more. What version did you get with Win10?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Robert, It is Edge but when you right click on properties it simply reads as Windows 10 Home.[/quote]Microsoft Edge is a browser included in the Win10 operating system replacing Internet Explorer on all device classes.  Win10 Home edition is just the edition of Win10 that they dished out as the free upgrade that you were entitled to dependent on what operating system you had before.

Robert, obviously I am operating on a much lower awareness level than you are with respect to technology.

What I did was accept the dished out free upgrade and now, when I turn on the computer it brings up a page that says Microsoft Edge, which is why I said what I did. If that''s different than what you''re referring to I must say it seems to me that Microsoft are complicating things for us Neanderthals who simply want to drive a car without understanding how the computer technology of the vehicle works.

Windows 10 comes with Edge and IE11. Search for Internet explorer from the "start" bar. Then go to the Pink Un and select Compatibility View from the menu.

Try that?

Internet Explorer (IE) is still available in Windows 10. Just click on "Start", "All Apps" and then "Windows Accessories" From there you can right click on IE to "Add to Taskbar" or "Add to Start"However, it puzzles me why anybody would want, or need, to use IE when Firefox is available and works very well on this board.IMHO, Microsoft Edge is a complete waste of time.

[quote user="Bor"]Windows 10 comes with Edge and IE11. Search for Internet explorer from the "start" bar. Then go to the Pink Un and select Compatibility View from the menu. Try that?[/quote]

Did as you suggested Bor. Result leaves me with the long cycle problem ( hangs up, "stop long running script" box appears at the bottom, followed by "not responding" message and, much later freeing up ) ultimately allowing me to get to this message response to you. The functionality I spoke of earlier is now present so I expect the quote feature will work here. However, same issue, functionality without speed or forget about functionality in order to gain speed.

I wish I was smarter and, in that regard, I did not quite understand your earlier reference to what Lapp did:

"I am on my mobile ATM but assume Lapps has linked to the "Agent Switcher" add-on which will work. You could install Chrome and then add the agent switcher to run as Firefox for Windows."??

FYI, I already have Chrome installed and can sign on to this forum with my normal sign-on and password ( which I am not able to do in Firefox ) and I have speed but no functionality. Also, the home Pink un site and message board appears in a truncated image. There must be a way to fix the latter, however, I don''t know how to tackle the functionality issue as, when in Chrome, I have no menu bars or anything visible that allows me to change the situation. My apologies if this all sound a little silly and tedious but this is where I''m at.  

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]FYI, I already have Chrome installed and can sign on to this forum with my normal sign-on and password[/quote]Yankee, open in Chrome then copy and paste this link into the search box..........https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/spoof You will see the fifth one down (the one with the mask)  is called "User Agent Switcher For Chrome", (it''s a Google extension so it''s quite safe), download that and then select Firefox. Hopefully that will sort you out.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]FYI, I already have Chrome installed and can sign on to this forum with my normal sign-on and password[/quote]Yankee, open in Chrome then copy and paste this link into the search box..........https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/spoof You will see the fifth one down (the one with the mask)  is called "User Agent Switcher For Chrome", (it''s a Google extension so it''s quite safe), download that and then select Firefox. Hopefully that will sort you out.

[/quote]

Thanks Lapp. This is a test response to your message to see what I end up with.

First of all, I hope I followed your direction correctly. After I clicked on Agent Switcher the mask appeared and then I clicked on Firefox for Windows ( not sure if this was the correct thing to do ). I am assuming that if this was done correctly I could then exit from everything and go back into Chrome, bring up the Pink Un message board and see if everything worked as it should. If what I had done up to this point is incorrect please let me know.

From what I can see ( before I hit Post ) the speed is fine but I still don''t have the functionality, which means this quote will contain the gibberish. Let''s see.

Mick, I''m definitely not doing something correctly and the problem with the written word is it''s easy to misunderstand. Would it be okay for me to telephone you on Tuesday and have you walk me through it. I''m usually on the computer around 8 am ( 1 pm your time ). If you can oblige me please pm me your telephone number and a time that works for you.

Thanks.

It looks as though you have installed the user agent switcher ok, Yankee. Did you select Firefox 15 rather than one of the earlier versions? Once you select that the mask should have a red rectangle in front of it with F15 written over the top. If all of the above is present you should have the formatting buttons available when you compose a response on this forum (the functionality you refer to) and the quotes should no longer appear as gibberish.

Chip, thanks for your input. When I click on to the first website I see that says "user agent" a box appears, the first row all refer to various versions of Internet Explorer, the second only list two references to Firefox, Firefox For Windows and Firefox For Mac, with no other definition for either. Perhaps I am in the incorrect website?

Yankee, I''ve received a text message from City Angel this morning as follows........"Re Yankee''s last post to you. When I use the agent''s mask I pick IE9 not Firefox and PinkUn quote posts works perfect on my Chrome".Worth a try?

Just in case you''ve not seen the instructions in large form, click here - [url=https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6897924/chrome%20method.png]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6897924/chrome%20method.png[/url]. (You might need to left click the graphic to enlarge it).I think the idea is to have the pinkun forum page open when you right click the toolbar button. You should see the bottom picture, ie be able to choose the user agent for the ''services.pinkun.com'' domain, and click add to finish. I doubt the Firefox version matters.

You know, you''re all being so kind to me and, despite that, the penny is not dropping.

It was over 55 years ago that I tackled the GCE. I was thick then and things have not improved with age and here I am again....stuck on GCE...Google, Chrome and Explorer.

I would rather just telephone someone so you can walk me through the steps. Any volunteers that have a few minutes?

I would like to thank all who have assisted me on this thread and am delighted to report that, after a few back and forths on the phone, Lapp has finally gotten me to the happy state of speed and functionality on the Pink Un forum using Chrome ( and the agent switcher to IE9 ).
Thanks again!