Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzar

Defence or attack - what's your money on?

Just for ''fun'' - you''ve got £10m or so for one player. Would you buy a defender or an attacker to help keep us up this year?

Def, def, definitely the defence.

(Central defender.)

Having said that we have only let in six goals in the last six games since AN tightened/changed things.

These six games include 120 minutes at Goodison and away games at Manchester City and Chelsea, plus last week''s draw with Arsenal.

These are good statistics which suggest that defending may not now be the Achilles heel that we thought it was.

I do not think that we have seen the best of Mbokani yet so if we are to strengthen the attack it will likely result from the sale of either Grabban or Hooper or both.

Is there a modern equivalent of Chris Sutton out there - who''e equally good as a centre forward or a central defender?

If so I''ll have him please.

Some say Martin is that man Thirsty!

I asked the question as funds are probably going to be limited in January, even allowing for some horse trading. I would still be inclined to spend on the defence, but would like to see us invest in a promising central defender from the Champs. Seeing how poorly Mbemba at Newcastle (remember him from the summer?) and Mangala for eg have performed I wouldn''t want us blowing the budget mid season on players who have no experience of football in this country.

CB simply because it is the area we need to strengthen most.  IMO Basso and Ryan Bennett are OK as CBs for a lower end Prem team and I hope RB will become better than that with experience.  But if either of them are unavailable, RM will have to come in and he''s just not quite up to the standard needed IMO.  And beyond that...

Whereas upfront, we normally play one striker and we have 3 players who can do that to a reasonable standard.

Agree with all of that ICF. Anyone take your fancy?

I see we''re linked with Keane at Burnley, though can''t see why they''d sell or why he''d pick us over clubs linked. But this profile of player is what we should be looking at, in my humble...

I would spend 4/5m on a centre back so we have 4 choices in case of an injury. I don''t see the need to spend big in this position as I always thought it was the open style that meant we conceded so many.

The rest I would invest in direct competition for Redmond as whilst he us still young and clearly has quality he is pretty inconsistent. This would free up Howson to play more centrally, give Redmond someone to learn from and keep him on his toes. Anyone know of any right footed Bradys? Would be awesome to have someone of his quality on the other wing too and really give us good balance.

Dead canary I think Jarvis will be that superb wide man for this season, you can see his class. We are lucky with Redmond, Brady and Jarvis.

It is a thought call, but I think I would say defence, but a great deal will depend on grabban in the upcoming games. Will he keep his spot as he scores goals and therefore stay after January. If we sell grabban then a forward is needed.

What we need is to put away our chances, howson and hoolahan missed great chances. If they were against a Watford, Bournemouth or villa we would be livid that we only got a draw.

I believe we have forwards who will score, maybe not as many as we need but chances are also falling to 9 goal howson from last year and hoops.

We need to start putting these away, as much as a goal scorer is hard to find, that goal scoring midfielder is hard to find too. But maybe Jarvis is that player.

So in order to be able to allow those things to happen we need a solid defence therefore it is a defender, because if we can get confidence at the back we can soak up and play out with confidence.

Thus leaving Brady Redmond Jarvis and hoops to support our centre forward. With more confidence and then trust in their finishing ability and forward play.

But if grabban fails and the interest won''t go away then it will be a forward and defender.

Defence every time this Jan

better defenders will free up the talented creative midfielders we have to turn provider again; rather than them having to sit deep to provide protection because the defenders are too error prone and not quite good enough.

Dead canary I agree but I am sure they have switched flanks during a game.

Either way coming inside he can be dangerous. But fair point.

Defender is key for our team, as we know we really wanted and needed two in the summer.

You are right when Jarvis scored I think he had switched flanks and come in from the right hand side. Brady played right too against Man City and looks like he can play anywhere. It''s just with Elliott Bennett not looking in the managers plans and us regularly playing wide men I do think we need four options. As seen with the Jarvis injury we don''t really have any options once a player picks up a knock or is out of form.

Isn''t that all he does? Cut inside and hit a shot as hard as he can.

He''s a decent player and would be a good signing but I expect other lower Prem clubs would be in for him and he wouldn''t be cheap.

[quote user="Thirsty Lizard"]Is there a modern equivalent of Chris Sutton out there - who''e equally good as a centre forward or a central defender?

If so I''ll have him please.[/quote]I''d get the Doc out of retirement and spend the money on better sausage roll facilities.