Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Boro want Jerome for £8 mill

If reports are to be trusted, Boro are after Jerome and will offer £8 mill in January.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/middlesbrough/transfer-talk/news/boro-eyeing-gbp8m-cameron-jerome-swoop_260530.html

First of all, I don''t think there is much in this story, but IF it is, I''d say take the 8 mill and use it to reinvest in someone else (bring Mbokani in permanently, or find another gem).

Jerome is a good player, but not good enough at this level. We must aim higher.

Yes, but what would you expect AN to say about this when asked?

He would not say: "Yes, Jerome will be gone in Janary".

Obviously he would want to keep Jerome, but he is after all 29 yrs old, and with a poor record in the Premier with several teams, so could be a decent deal, if £8 mill is offered.

The question is, ofcourse, are we able to bring someone else in, with similar of better quality, at, or around, the same sum of money?

Surely, if we are able to attract someone like Zaza at Juventus, priced at 12 mill, I would like to see the back of Jerome and throw in another 4 mill for an Italian international at 24yrs of age.

But then again, I don''t think Jerome would attract a price of £8 mill...and if AN does not want to sell, nothing will happen (unless the player rocks the boat).

He seems pretty certain though Grefstad and AN clearly rates him. When other players like Lafferty, Grabban and Hooper were linked with moves he has been a bit more coy on the subject, not giving the backing like he has on this occasion.

The chances of Boro bidding 8m are slim and if they did it would be very tempting. I don''t think we would be signing anyone like Zaza either if we did let him go, our profile just isn''t at that level. We would be looking at players who already play at a similar level or purchasing from lower down the leagues. If it did happen I would like to see us try and tempt someone like Shane Long who isn''t first choice at Southampton or maybe take a bit of a punt on someone like Afobe who they won''t be able to demand stupid money for now he hasn''t scored as many this season as he did last.

I bet they would.

If we sold him for £8m in January how much would we have to spend to get a replacement who''s better ?  At January prices?

Also, if we get an Italian international in as a replacement (I said if) but end up getting relegated, he''d be off and we''d have to find someone who can lead the attack in the Champ.  For me, Jerome is pretty much a perfect Champ level striker and can do a decent job for us in the Prem. Our strike force right now is way better than what we had for Hughton''s final year in the Prem.

Yes, we need to aim higher but until we can get in someone better, we need to be cautious about who we let go, and letting Jerome go would be a massive mistake IMO.

PS did anyone else notice how motivated Jerome looked when he was brought on against Ars*nal.  Looked like a greyhound.

[quote]

Yes, we need to aim higher but until we can get in someone better, we need to be cautious about who we let go, and letting Jerome go would be a massive mistake IMO.[/quote]

I agree to this, but it is also a case of getting "value" if offered 8 mill. He is 29, and his value will most likely decrease in the next year or two.

Difficult, glad I am not AN or McNally.

£8m is mental money for Jerome! Problem is, who are we gonna get to replace him? Maybe mbok and grabban can stick around and we can go gamble on that zaza guy and hope he is interested?

A funny one, Jerome is a good player and was a monster last season in which was his best ever return as a striker across a season. However, I''m not so sure he''s going to do enough for us in the Prem. However, the only time I''d sell him would be for an amount this high, as long as we already had a much better alternative already lined up.

We won''t let our best players go lightly and Jerome is one of them.

It''s true that £8m is a good payment for Jerome, given his age and what we paid for him.  But if we sold him and got in someone like Long or Afobe that would be a massive gamble.  If we were then relegated it would start to look like a false economy.  The thing about Jerome is that he contributes a lot more than just scoring goals - he closes down defenders meaning with him on the pitch, we have 11 players who are pressuring the ball.  He is quick which forces the other team to defend deeper, opening up space.  He is strong so any defender will have his hands full up against him. 

Blimey! If all these reports are true we would seem to have a very valuable strike-force at the moment.

Grabban £8m bid from Bournemouth.

Jerome £8m bid from ''Boro.

Wednesday want Hooper @ £5m? (We paid that for him and there''s no reason to assume his value will depreciate, but a few to assume it won''t appreciate.)

Laffers, we might get £2m. (his cost?)

RVW cost us £8m. (write off?)

I seem to recall that Mbokani was quoted at around £5m.

That''s £36m, or thereabouts, of strikers on our books, one way or the other.

How times change.

What price Super Ted McDougall and Charlie Boyer these days?

I would sell him use the money to buy Chris Martin. Sell hooper get in grant holt.

Use what is left over to sack Alex Neil and get Paul Lambert back

Premier league safety the would be assured.

And maybe a cheeky bid for Cody McDonald as well????

Like Broadstairs said, we are more likely to sell Hooper, Lafferty, Grabban and RvW before even considering selling Jerome. Those 4 alone will give us around £10-12m and I have a feeling Grabban will be sticking around for the rest of the season, or at least until we have someone better to replace him.

We need 4 strikers on our books. At the moment we have Mbokani, Jerome, Grabban and Lafferty - and, as AN proved against Arsenal, he''s happy to mix it up depending on who we''re playing and how we want to play.

I''d like to see another quick, strong, goalscorer, but they cost a lot of money, especially in January, but we could sell three (Hooper, Lafferty and RvW) and get one for £10m.

£8 million only represents good value if we can get someone in of equal / better quality for less or equal money. In my mind, that''s unlikely to happen. He''s a good lone striker and a good option to have. Poor Premier League goal scoring record but we ain''t gonna get anyone with a great record!

As things stand I can''t see Wednesday buying Hooper Woodman, and God alone knows who will buy RvW. Maybe £2 to £3m for Lafferty and loans for the other two.

I would have thought Jerome is very much towards the bottom of our "sell" pile.

[quote user="Wiz"]Sell him and that''s it with me......I''ll jack it all in.[/quote]£8million sounds like a bargain. Whipround?

Jerome is a very important player for us and will play a lot of games this season. For all the criticism, I still think Grabban and Jerome are probably our two best front line strikers at the club.

Mbokani is probably a more natural goal scorer than both of those but I am not convinced he has the tactical understanding or know how to do the other spadework that Neil wants in that lone striker role.

You also have to consider what £8 million will actually buy us in January? Given the way prices are crazily inflated, we''d probably be lucky to get Benik Afobe''s right shin pad for that amount.

[quote user="Wiz"]Sell him and that''s it with me......I''ll jack it all in.[/quote]
No you won''t. 
Anyway, I thought you preferred Hooper?
Clive Platt''s still available.

He''s the one striker we have where we get a consistent performance out of him. To sell would be crazy although 8m is great money I''d only sell if one of our other strikers has consistently stepped up to the plate over the next month.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I''ll find out tonight[/quote]

And did you?

If someone was prepared to pay £8 mil for him then you''d have to think you''d be looking at £15-20 mil to get any kind of proven improvement to replace him and there''s just no way we have that kind of money to throw at a player at the moment I''d have thought.