Sign in to follow this  
Rabbit

Dark days...

This is`nt a dig at anyone, but with all the young members on here now, i just wanted to know who was following us in the dark old days...

by that i mean the gap between 95 and worthy ...

I''ve had a season ticket for the last 11 years so I''ve seen a lot of s**t in my time!  I''m sure some of the older members have seen a lot more though!  These last couple of years have been bliss!

Depends what you classify as young really.  Im 24 and follwed City from the age of 6.  I didnt acually go to a game until 1989 tho.  I was a member and went casually between 89 and 95, only when ma and pa could afford for me to go.  It was 1995/96 season that I started going full time to the matches as I had a couple of paper rounds to fund the tickets (which were reasonably priced back then)

The 1996/97 season was my first year as a season ticket holder and there were some appalling matches to be seen (port vale, Bury and west Brom etc).  I have been a season ticket holder ever since and most of my football attendance has been throughout the lean spell. 

It was bitter sweet to gain promotion and to be a Premiership supporter (after so much stick off so many people over the years).  I was ridiculed for going to games like drubbing at Port Vale and was told how crap a team Norwich are to support. 

I can see your point though that there was a sudden upsurge of fans last year (a few of which have now obtained West Ham shirts) it riles me so. 

I read in the paper yesterday that Southampton season ticket sales have halved, which really goes to show what a superbly run club NCFC is and what a loyal army of fans we have.  We will be there or thereabouts come what may as we have Dean Ashton, Mckenzie being fed by the Huckster.  These three I feel will help us to romp the league next year.   

Dark days indeed who else remembers......

Hamilton playing Lee Marshall or even Steve Walsh up front when he had Paul Mcveigh not even on the bench

The starting midfield duo in Mike Walker second season being Daryl Sutch and Danny Mills

Those t-shirts and mugs which were printed "on loan to Divison One for one season only"

Started in 1993/94 and have seen the ups and downs of recent times. One of my ''most prolific'' seasons was probably one of the most disappointing, 95/96 after we had just been relegated, and sitting in a half empty, wet and windy Carrow Road watching as we lost to teams like Luton and Watford.

[quote]Since 1957, is there any other team?.[/quote]

What do you mean? i meant i have never supported Man U or anyone like most people around my area do.

I started supporting Norwich in 1994/95 and have consistently attended a number of matches each season since! Living a fair distance from Norwich and playing cricket/football on saturday''s has meant I haven''t seen as many games as I''d have liked but I have still seen a number of shockers - 6-1 loss to Port Vale, 4-0 loss to Birmingham spring to mind!

Born in West Runton in 1968 - first game was in 1975 I think (or so my Dad tells me!)...There never was nor ever will be any other team than Norwich City...
Makes no difference how dark the days - I''ll still always support them - my worst memory has to be listening to Coventry beat Everton in that complete fix of a match to send us down to Div 2 as it was then...

[quote]What do you mean? i meant i have never supported Man U or anyone like most people around my area do.[/quote]

Sorry Northern, You might have got the wrong end of the stick there my friend. It must sound to you that I''m questioning your loyality, which I''m not, even for one second.

Apologies if my post suggested that, like me, you''re City through and through mate.

I have supported City through bright and dark days since 1970 and there have been plenty of both.   Relegation in 1973 after our first ever Div 1 season, three more relegations, the departure of Bond, the Chase era and the almost constant feebleness in cup competitions and the sale or loss to injury of far too many good players are the dark times I remember now.

But City is still my club and still the one I think is best in the whole world so I will carry on through the bright and the dark days to come.

Ive supported Norwich all my life as i was born there but no longer live there.My first game i saw them was 1973 league cup final at wembley,when they played spurs.So yeah i seen more dark days than good.

Oh well at least one thing about going down a divison i can get to a lot more away games than i did last season,such as leeds,both sheffield games,Hull,as they aint to far from where i live now.

My first game was around 1973.......sometimes you think you have seen it all but there is always something different to come.

Highs.... Winning at Wembley v. Sunderland...seeing a 2-0 win at Old Trafford in the late ''80''s...promotion season with Ken Brown when we consistently looked a different class to every other team in the league.. promotion to the Prem last year... beating Bayern Munich.. coming so close to winning the first Premier league title.. finally seeing City win at Molineux, under Martin O''Neill.

Lows... relegation from the prem the first time and last year....losing at Wembley to Villa...losing two FA Cup semi finals in the space of a few years... seeing us lose 6-1 at Port Vale in the mid 90''s and then a few days later going to WBA and seeing us lose 5-1... a 5-1 hammering at Wolves ( the same season i think) when we were so poor Mike Walker sent the team back out after 5 mins of the half time interval....Mike Walker leaving the first time.....Martin O''Neill leaving..relegation so soon after winning the Milk cup.

There are always a lot more lows but the highs always more than make up for it....

I was born in Telford, but have lived in Norfolk most of my life, moving to Norwich when I was about 5 (''87).  Supported City pretty much since I knew what football was, but don''t have the football mad family to have guided me - my Dad doesn''t watch footie at all (I know, he''s sick!), my Mum supports ManUre (though she is from Manx, so fair enough, and has a small MUFC tattoo on her arm from her mis-spent youth)... Oh, and other extended members of the family, being from Brum, are either West Brom or Wolves fans!!! So I think I''ve done alright!

Due to this, didn''t actually get to a game until late 90''s, think I was 16... We played Oxford, who were then in real financial and league trouble, and we lost 3-1 I think!

Then started to take my sister to a number of matches and held a proud record of never actually seeing City lose whilst at Carrow Road until the Fulham (!!) game this last season! Which was nice!

But yes, still followed City, still held the faith, for some reason!

First game I went to was Huddersfield about 97. Darren Eadie at his best sticking a couple past them. Sat in the Barclay, the South stand old and new, and now happily reside in the River End. Have now been a season ticketer for a couple of years, and now waiting patiently for this seasons to come in my box.

I watched city from the middle seventies to the ''dark days'' and beyond.  Believe me, that wasnt the only ''dark'' period!

Watching city lose to Swindon in the Simod cup at home is dark!

Its only the last few seasons that city have been doing better that I dont go as much, but hey, I run my own saturday team, and or win ratio is ten times better!

Season number 16(?) coming up for me. My first game was when we played (and beat) Sutton United 8-0! Not a bad start.

Season ticket holder since 1989 here

Even during the ''dark days''.

(Which weren''t quite as bad as everyone is making out - I''m sure a Nottingham Forest, Wimbledon or Sheff Wednesday supporter would agree to that)

[quote]Season number 16(?) coming up for me. My first game was when we played (and beat) Sutton United 8-0! Not a bad start.[/quote]

God I remember that.

Our biggest ever win!

My 1st game was in 1973; City v Newcastle. Dont remember a thing about the match, but I do recall my friend having his scarf nicked by a Geordie lad who was festooned with Norwich scarves. I wasn''t very interested in football in those days(much more into music and girls) and so went to very few games until 1983 when I became hooked. I''ve been a regular ever since, although I''ve only had 2 or 3 season tickets. This season I shall be going as and when I can. I think 2 of the games I have enjoyed most, were beating Stockport and Wolves at Carrow Rd in the lead up to the play-off final. They were brilliant for atmosphere, the great sense of occasion, good football and the right result.

Since 1956! Getting close to my 50th anniversary!  My name, August 64, comes from a game against Swansea at Carrow Road that I attended with my father and grandfather.  All of us have been season ticket holders for long periods of time, my father still is having watched the first game at Carrow Road!  Meanwhile, because I couldn''t get to games in the last Championship year I had to give up my season ticket and of course could not get it back last year or this.  Its tough when you find yourself disenfranchised after nearly 50 years of faithful support.

August 64

I''ve been a fan since 1990 and my first match was in Feb 1991, Southampton at home in fog so thick you could hardly see the River End. I stood on the old Barclay for the one and only time to see a 2-1 win I believe, with Fleck scoring one if not both of the goals.

The worst moment of those "dark days?" Losing 1-0 at home to Southend.

I am proud to say i was a season ticket holder in the dark days - went to my first match when i was about 8/9 when we played Tranmere in the cup, first away game was against QPR the following season (i think) -- im proud to say i was one of the 15,000 who sat through the defeats to teams like Port Vale and Crewe.