Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

Stoke - Milan - Barcelona

cast your mind back to the summer and the frustrating lack of transfers, one of the things we heard from the club was it was difficult to attract players to Norfolk and Norwich as a city?My argument for that is that we are looking in the wrong areas... The title of this thread makes reference to 2 players in Particular Xherdan Shakiri and Bojan Krkic.Shakiri joined Stoke from Inter Milan in the summer having previously played for Bayern Munich.. Bojan started at the nou camp, went to Rome before going to some industrial city known for it''s plates and teapots the a*se end of England...The question I have is what makes Stoke as a place more appealing than Norwich? Given Bojan has lived in 2 far more cosmopolitan places than he lives now...Stoke is further from London than Norwich... yet the club has managed to attract 2 players who''ve played in 2 of the biggest leagues and alongside some of the best players in the world to the club.Would you argue Stoke is a bigger club than City or just more established?The excuse of "it''s hard to get players here" is a weak one... we need to try harder... AN needs to be able to build a team to keep us in the division and become the next Stoke... if the board are failing to attract players because of this then they need to try a different tact.I''m just wondering if someone can answer the question of what makes these places more appealing than Norwich and whether this is a valid reason for perhaps having a weaker side now?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]cast your mind back to the summer and the frustrating lack of transfers, one of the things we heard from the club was it was difficult to attract players to Norfolk and Norwich as a city?My argument for that is that we are looking in the wrong areas... The title of this thread makes reference to 2 players in Particular Xherdan Shakiri and Bojan Krkic.Shakiri joined Stoke from Inter Milan in the summer having previously played for Bayern Munich.. Bojan started at the nou camp, went to Rome before going to some industrial city known for it''s plates and teapots the a*se end of England...The question I have is what makes Stoke as a place more appealing than Norwich? Given Bojan has lived in 2 far more cosmopolitan places than he lives now...Stoke is further from London than Norwich... yet the club has managed to attract 2 players who''ve played in 2 of the biggest leagues and alongside some of the best players in the world to the club.Would you argue Stoke is a bigger club than City or just more established?The excuse of "it''s hard to get players here" is a weak one... we need to try harder... AN needs to be able to build a team to keep us in the division and become the next Stoke... if the board are failing to attract players because of this then they need to try a different tact.I''m just wondering if someone can answer the question of what makes these places more appealing than Norwich and whether this is a valid reason for perhaps having a weaker side now?[/quote]Wages[;)]

[quote user="GJP"]Money and the manager.

Mark Hughes is a big name.[/quote]indeed he is..I''m not sure Stoke can afford to pay much more than we can. you could question why we''ve never pushed the boat out for a named Manager.the last one maybe being Hughton? his signings were good players but didn''t click.

But Stoke is 30mins from Manchester and Birmingham by train. The major problem Norwich has is not only is it a dull lifeless city for young men with money but it is miles away from anywhere desirable.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]cast your mind back to the summer and the frustrating lack of transfers, one of the things we heard from the club was it was difficult to attract players to Norfolk and Norwich as a city?My argument for that is that we are looking in the wrong areas... The title of this thread makes reference to 2 players in Particular Xherdan Shakiri and Bojan Krkic.Shakiri joined Stoke from Inter Milan in the summer having previously played for Bayern Munich.. Bojan started at the nou camp, went to Rome before going to some industrial city known for it''s plates and teapots the a*se end of England...The question I have is what makes Stoke as a place more appealing than Norwich? Given Bojan has lived in 2 far more cosmopolitan places than he lives now...Stoke is further from London than Norwich... yet the club has managed to attract 2 players who''ve played in 2 of the biggest leagues and alongside some of the best players in the world to the club.Would you argue Stoke is a bigger club than City or just more established?The excuse of "it''s hard to get players here" is a weak one... we need to try harder... AN needs to be able to build a team to keep us in the division and become the next Stoke... if the board are failing to attract players because of this then they need to try a different tact.I''m just wondering if someone can answer the question of what makes these places more appealing than Norwich and whether this is a valid reason for perhaps having a weaker side now?[/quote]Wages[;)][/quote]should not be an excuse.. not saying we should break the bank but if we aren''t going to compete off the field then we never will off it.

Great big feckin wage packets make Stoke more appealing than Norwich. It certainly wasn''t because of any aesthetic reasons.

Probably not got SKY TV or a massage parlour at our out of date according to MR Money MacNasty training ground

[quote user="Herman "]Great big feckin wage packets make Stoke more appealing than Norwich. It certainly wasn''t because of any aesthetic reasons.[/quote]and here''s where the board need to, for want of a better term, "Grow a pair"

As others have said-wages make Stoke a much more appealing place. Realistically we can only compete with a very small number of teams when paying wages. That''s the reality of it unfortunately.

[quote user="daly"]Norwich is only 20 mins from Diss what more do they want[/quote]a speeding ticket by the sounds of that

For me this season is last chance saloon for this board and the Smith and Jones ownership. They have failed massively in the summer again and have one last chance in January. Failure again and it really needs to be time for someone else to take the reigns. And none of this who''s out there crap, people are taking over clubs all the time

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Herman "]Great big feckin wage packets make Stoke more appealing than Norwich. It certainly wasn''t because of any aesthetic reasons.[/quote]and here''s where the board need to, for want of a better term, "Grow a pair"[/quote]Stoke have been in the Prem for so long now that they can and have budgeted for higher waged players. As a guess I bet their average wage is twice as much as our highest paid player. We will be fishing in the ''lower-league gem'' pool for a good while yet.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Herman "]Great big feckin wage packets make Stoke more appealing than Norwich. It certainly wasn''t because of any aesthetic reasons.[/quote]and here''s where the board need to, for want of a better term, "Grow a pair"[/quote]Stoke have been in the Prem for so long now that they can and have budgeted for higher waged players. As a guess I bet their average wage is twice as much as our highest paid player. We will be fishing in the ''lower-league gem'' pool for a good while yet.

[/quote]yet Watford haven''t.. and after today I know who''s looking better equipped...

We let the manager down in the window, insufficient quality in the squad for the manager to work with.

Why wouldn''t people come here? Many reasons I''m sure, small club, geography,low wages etc etc. all relevant points.

BUT, the way we behaved, silly bids, last minute scramble, lack of strategy, surely only reinforced the perception that we are tinpot.

I blame our board and the CEO for this, we managed the window appallingly and are now reaping the reward.

[quote user="Vanwink"]We let the manager down in the window, insufficient quality in the squad for the manager to work with.

Why wouldn''t people come here? Many reasons I''m sure, small club, geography,low wages etc etc. all relevant points.

BUT, the way we behaved, silly bids, last minute scramble, lack of strategy, surely only reinforced the perception that we are tinpot.

I blame our board and the CEO for this, we managed the window appallingly and are now reaping the reward.[/quote]really good post!Whils''t he maybe isn''t setting the world alight right now Swansea got Wilfried Bony with some careful planning and smart business. £12 million... Swansea may or may not be a nice place to live.. i''ve never been there so don''t know..but one thing Bony, the Swansea management and board, and probably all the fans knew is that he saw that club as a stepping stone.Swansea''s chairman laughed all the way to the bank 18 months and 25 million pounds later didn''t he?we might be far from London, we might be a bit dull to live.. but we can sell this club to any player by being honest about the situation.... play well for Norwich and the likes of Chelsea, Man utd and Arsenal come calling...we are naive if we think any differently that we could get a player of that ilk and keep him.. clubs like Stoke and Swansea make hay whilst the sun shines... our board dither, dally and are not brave enough.

Spot on Vanwink. Tin pot board need to take the heat not Neil

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Herman "][quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="Herman "]Great big feckin wage packets make Stoke more appealing than Norwich. It certainly wasn''t because of any aesthetic reasons.[/quote]and here''s where the board need to, for want of a better term, "Grow a pair"[/quote]Stoke have been in the Prem for so long now that they can and have budgeted for higher waged players. As a guess I bet their average wage is twice as much as our highest paid player. We will be fishing in the ''lower-league gem'' pool for a good while yet.

[/quote]yet Watford haven''t.. and after today I know who''s looking better equipped...[/quote]Sorry Jas, but Watford are a different kettle of fish. Their owner has his fingers in many footballing pies, with loads of contacts and players at his disposal. Swansea and Stoke are the teams we need to be emulating. But it takes time and a decent scouting network, (which we still haven''t got right and should have used our year in the doldrums sorting this out).

Stoke have Mark Hughes OBE, ex-Man Utd, Barcelona & Chelsea player and well-proven as a Premiership Manager. That club have been steady in the top division for a number of years. Today they joyfully beat Man City by two goals.

Norwich have a rookie manager who plied his trade in the lower leagues and have only just been promoted having been relegated on more than one occasion.

Today we woefully lost to Watford.

If you were a decent foreign player where would you feel your career in England''s top league was best served?

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard "]Stoke have Mark Hughes OBE, ex-Man Utd, Barcelona & Chelsea player and well-proven as a Premiership Manager. That club have been steady in the top division for a number of years. Today they joyfully beat Man City by two goals.

Norwich have a rookie manager who plied his trade in the lower leagues and have only just been promoted having been relegated on more than one occasion.

Today we woefully lost to Watford.

If you were a decent foreign player where would you feel your career in England''s top league was best served?[/quote]see my above comment Re Swansea and Bony to answer this point.we play the club as the stepping stone to greatness for any player.. if he comes in and doesn''t work he doesn''t make it... if he comes in and single handedly keeps us in the division then we can sell him to the highest bidder whilst we establish..

There are good enough players at city, not counting, Dorrans, Howson, and Grabban, but Neill does not seem to know how to use them.

Re: Stoke - Milan - Barcelona

How many seasons in a row have Stoke been in the premier league?

Who the F-*-*-K cares!!!!!!!!!!

Players really don ''t care where they live, what Club they play for or who the Manager is. They''re only interested in two things - what they get paid now and what they will get paid next season.Pay the transfer fee, pay the wages and they will come here.It has been proven year after year that a team made up of primarily Championship grade players will not survive in the PL - Hull, Blackpool, Burnley, QPR etc etc Virtually everyone in our squad has either (a) come from a Championship side, (b) been rejected by a PL team that has higher aspirations than us (c) jumped ship from a relegated PL side or (d) has been seen as a player that may have potential but has ultimately not been a target for any other PL Club.Our incoming transfers have been based on hope rather than expectation.You will not, and cannot, be successful in the PL if that is your recruting policy.

They do care where they live. I bet if you told one of the players they had to live in a dilapidated caravan on Hemsby Cliffs they would care.

[quote user="Lord Eddard Stark"]How many seasons in a row have Stoke been in the premier league?[/quote]quite a few.. but how do you think they''ve stayed there so long? they''ve taken a risk...

Norwich can’t be that bad a place to play and live, many ex-players return to the county, or stay in he county, when their playing days are over,

Therefore I wonder if there are other reasons for our ‘failure’ in the transfer market?

We have a football board, which I assume is responsible for all things football, including negotiating transfers and contracts. The board is headed by our CEO. So on that basis I assume Delia and Mr Wyn Jones have little input to this aspect of our club, so effectively they could be considered blameless for any transfer failings, apart from the fact they sanctioned the football board in the first instance, again I am assuming.

Given what we have seen and read about our dalliances in the transfer market, it appears we are not a club (football board) held in particularly high regard, Steve Bruce pretty much said as much.

So, perhaps it is our approach to dealing with other clubs and players that needs attention, whilst I appreciate we all want a bargain and want the best players for the least money (transfer fee & salary) maybe we are being too hard headed or perhaps drive other clubs (and players) to despair with our to-ing and fro-ing , so much so, particularly when it comes to players, it creates a feeling about our club and what the future will hold?