Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Redmond - is he really as good as people say

Well if so then I haven''t seen it. The odd flash one in 10 games if you''re lucky.He has more bad games than good and is a million miles behind players of a similar ilk that play for other relegation contenders.

Doesn''t help when all he has is Grabban to assist and a no mark midfield to get the ball from. Need some more directness and steel in there to compliment Redmonds direct running ability.

Redmond has no confidence at the moment.

He rarely tries to take on the fullback. Against Arsenal, he did not try much to stretch them, instead he just walked around in the Wes area of the pitch, losing the ball. When he comes on as a sub, surely his job is to be an outlet, run at the fullback, be a threat on the counter, etc.

When he started vs Watford today, he was again appaling. I dont know what his instructions from AN were, but surely he can not have delivered as asked.

Do "people" all say how good Redmond is?

Wouldn''t he start every game if he was that good?

Would there be many threads on this site about his lack of end product if he was that good?

He is as good as people say, which is he is inconsistent but a match winner on his day.

I''m starting to think he''s a bit of a big time Charlie, plays well for England and in other big games but a wet n windy afternoon at Watford doesnt seem to appeal to him.

Most of his u21 compadres play at ''bigger'' clubs, could this be turning his head.

if Mane goes to Man u in Jan will Redders be off to Soton?

Pretty clear AN is playing a style not well suited for a player like Redmond. AN wants all his players to work hard, espescially defensively, but this is not Redmond''s game. And with our midfield being pretty shit all over, this leaves Redmond out for most of our games, only to come on as an impact sub.

Shame then, that we dont have any better than the rather invisible Howson to play on the right when Redmond is not suited.

started well but the way neil has started his teams lately that''s not suiting redmond, he is a great english youngster who has a great future and will be gone in january, can''t blame him as the way we setup at the minute is worst than hughton

Probably wouldn''t have started today if Wes had been available. Today''s team was disjointed, Redmond seemed lost and Grabban isolated. Whatever the game plan it was either wrong or the players couldn''t play it. Could Vadis play Wes''s position?

To be fair he''d stand a better chance if Wisdom played him the ball both accurately and at the right time. Those two could not link together today.

I''m wondering if the problem is that he''s not actually that quick - after the first few yards. That may be why he likes to stop & bring the defender in, hoping to beat him as he lunges in, giving himself a head start. Has anyone seen him outrun a defender over any distance?

ron o,

I think NR has a lot of talent, although I''m not sure he is quite mature enough as a footballer yet to maximise that talent. I agree with your assessment of his pace, I think he is quick over the first 5 yards but then can''t accelerate on, which is why I think he prefers to have the ball to feet rather than into space and as you say prefers to stop and start as it gives him the best chance of outpacing the defender. In answer to your last question, very rarely.

At times this makes him a frustrating player to watch and when Jarvis is back I would play Jarvis on the right and drop both Howson and Redmond to the bench, assuming Wes is fit and even then I would be tempted to give VOO a run, I believe he may have a lot to offer which has not yet been realised.

[quote user="Canary Wundaboy"]He always looks 10x the player for England than he ever looks for us (Play-offs excepted).[/quote]

BECAUSE HE ISN''T PLAYING 20 YEAR OLDS. Holy f, this isn''t hard.