Sign in to follow this  
Keith Scott

Can't believe i'm going to say this but...

I''m starting to feel replacing the manager may be our best chance of survival. Alex Neil did fantastically to get us promoted but his shocking team selections are really costing us now. Bar a headed tap in v Swansea Howson has contributed nothing for weeks yet is immune to being dropped under Alex Neil. And if the manager genuinely believes Dorrans and Tettey are better than Mulumbu and Odjidja-Ofoe we should send for the white coats now. Today was the result and performance of a team destined for relegation.

AN has rarely made mistakes since taking the job - several times it''s been suggested players letting the system down with mistakes. Today? I''m not so sure. The entire squad was woeful. But I don''t think getting rid of AN is the answer. He''s a great manager and we should keep hold of him whilst we can.

I can''t believe you''re saying it either.

We were garbage today. The lineup was not what I would have gone for and Alex Neil got it wrong. Though we''re typing away here with the benefit of hindsight. I moaned about Dorrans and Grabban''s inclusion last week but the former had a good game versus Arsenal and Grabban got the crucial goal.

He ballsed up today for sure, as did the players.

But replace Neil? It''s ironic you mentioned white coats in your post. You need your head checked.

Alex Neil is our best chance of survival.

Although I do agree that lightweight Howson shouldn''t be anywhere near the bench, let alone the team. One decent game every ten is about all he offers.

Neil''s still learning by his own admission, although the line up did look a little overtly-negative I agree. Besides, his "shocking team selections" got us a point against a very good arsenal side last week... ;)

However, there is virtually no evidence that odjidja ofoe is better than the other options - he''s barely played football for 2 years. (Of course I hope he''s the next Yaya Toure).

Howson is doing a job for the team playing out of position so can''t really blame him.

One thing for certain is, we need to get the chequebook out over January - which is regrettable - because any players we get then would''ve been cheaper in the summer.

You just get the impression that all of our targets gave us the cold shoulder - and that shoulder is likely to be even colder in January.

And replacing the manager? Not for me - even if we''re relegated. Who you gonna get in instead?

I''d like to add that I don''t lay the blame solely at the feet of the manager. Obviosuly the board have to take a large share of the criticism due to the shambolic transfer window. But to be fair our board cocking things up with small time thinking, lack of investment, terrible appointments etc is of no surprise. We''ve had 20 years of it.

there''s too much "changing the manager" in football now and especially at Norwich.we didn''t get the targets we wanted in the summer... who''s to say we haven''t "done" a few deals now with January on the horizon...we need to give AN time to build a squad... Sacking him will mean we get a new man in and it''s ok for a few months then he starts losing games.. then what? sack him too?you can''t keep throwing mud hoping it will stick.

Blame the board for the lack of transfers and ambition, Alex Neil is he to stay being the cheap option.

Would like us to poach McCarthy, more experience and works on a tight budget.

We''ve surely got to give him until the end of the year.

The only downside to AN that I see is that he is clearly still learning. The plus side is that he is willing to reflect on his own performance, see where he''s gone wrong and change it.

Alex Neil is clearly a talented young manager. If we can''t give him time, then it would be a massive shame all round. We''ve got to let him get some more players in in January and see what he can do from there.

far too harsh OP, although I am with some of your remarks re: team selection.

Even if he takes us down I would want AN at the helm next season, tbh, but I am not keen on the way he is turning into a tinkerman with his selections.

Lots of changes and not always predictable ones (eg. O''Neill in and then out again, Dorrans, Grabban back, Redmond out-in etc.) I would prefer a more settled approach to the starting eleven, even if there have to be subtle changes depending upon venue or opposition.

Tinkering didn''t work today, and there was no obvious reason why it should have, resulting in a bit of pump and panic in the end.

He''s been handicapped by our tin pot boards failings in the transfer window. The club needs new leadership and direction at boardroom level.

I''d call for heads to roll in the boardroom and club ownership before Neil''s. Would have loved to have seen how we would have played this season had he been backed

Far to early for this sort of tripe.

He made a mistake today and he will make a lot more but we''re not for sacking the manager.

How many times have we seen a City team perform like that away from home on a cold windy day?

They''re all to blame for today!

Tactically naive, but he does not appear to be learning quick enough. Whatever Rob Butler says.

Easy for us isn''t it?  Pick a team from a list of names.  We don''t know them, we don''t know who''s training well, who''s training poorly.  Who''s wife''s ill, who''s kids are sick or hospitalised.  Who''s ill, who isn''t.  Who''s in the middle of moving house, who''s got debt concerns, who''s not conducting themselves as the club would like, none of the things that a manager has to take into consideration when he picks his team.We''re alright, we don''t have to bother with those things, it''s easy just look down the first team squad list and take your pick, just like Football Manager, and some of you think Alex Neil''s team selections are weird and he should go..............?

I don''t want him sacked but he needs to rediscover the courage of his convictions. He seems to have abandoned all of his footballing principles after one bad substitution at Newcastle. We generally played well in those first 8 or 9 games and such a drastic change in style was not needed. I don''t think the players knew how they were supposed to play today and I don''t think the constant changes to the starting line up, formation and tactics are helping us at the moment.

[quote user="Mr Apples"]So who else then, if not AN???

Apples[/quote]Look at the managers who are in form and playing well in the Champs?!

Its not about team selection.

So many unforced errors make Rudd come for Ruddy no one can say that is bad choice.

Grabban must start of course if start 1 and score 1 in last 2 months when u have similar strikers who cant score opposite to him.

Our best defensive midfielder Tettey is back from inj after miss 2 games of course can play!

Redmond native wide player with good ratio of assist and goals why cant play?

Nothing that strange with selection but simply we not perform on such a games.

Should be long season with teams around us perform better and should add pts very soon...

Lennon was a better choice than Neil Adams at the time.

McCarthy is a better choice than Alex Neil and so on.

Alex Neil maybe a good manager for the future but do we give him time to learn his trade.

This whole thread is ridiculous! Neil is the best man for the job long term - have you forgotten his achievement last season or draw against arsenal last week. Give him and the team a break! If we get behind them and stop creating splits and discontent, we''ll be alright. What were you expecting from this season?

[quote user="Keith Scott"]I''m starting to feel replacing the manager may be our best chance of survival. Alex Neil did fantastically to get us promoted but his shocking team selections are really costing us now. Bar a headed tap in v Swansea Howson has contributed nothing for weeks yet is immune to being dropped under Alex Neil. And if the manager genuinely believes Dorrans and Tettey are better than Mulumbu and Odjidja-Ofoe we should send for the white coats now. Today was the result and performance of a team destined for relegation.[/quote]

Huzzah!

If you take away the obvious binners from this thread you''ll soon see which posters don''t have the stomach for the PL. These posters are championship standard at best and are really being shown up now we''re in the PL.