Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Whats the point Worthy?

What worries me somewhat is that if Nige is scouting for and doing business for Thorne, who is looking at rebuilding our midfield and our defence?

Life is all about priorities. What is our priority? Is it actually to further strengthen an attack which looked one of the most potent for the last half of the Prem season, one that made United''s front row of Rooney, Ronaldo and Van Nistelrooy look anaemic when they came to our place?

I said this last January, and its still true. Our priority must surely be to build a better defence and central midfield. Even if Helveg and Francis play on 6th Aug, they will not be here long and are not our future. Our defence was a total shambles last season, and our midfield was in the same state for much of the season before as well.

These areas MUST be strengthened, otherwise I do believe we will struggle more than you might think. The Champ is not full of wasters, its stuffed with teams desperate for a shot in the Prem, of young hopefuls, experienced pros and committed managers. Don''t believe that a poor defence in the Prem is a good defence in the Champ.

My take on this is that I agree with Wiz of surpsrise at the Thorne signing because I firmly believed that the team would by now have been putting all energies into improving that defence and midfield as numero uno priority. Last Jan we got Deano (hooray) but no defenders (boo) and we got relegated conceding almost at will.

Yes there''s time, but not much unless they will be introducing themselves to each other as they run on the pitch at 2.55pm in a month or so.

This isn''t a moan, its about what Nigel''s priorities should be.

Stevenage...thank you for pointing out what I was aware of, in that I had stated..."YET"     In fact, I made that point twice in my post.

However, I am not a Worthington fan for all the reasons posted over the last couple of seasons, and he continues to worry me when obvious deficiencies in the team are not corrected whilst he recruits players for one of two strong areas - attack (the other being goalies). I will never, never, understand why he signed TWO international goalkeepers last season when we were on a restricted budget - it didn''t make sense then and it doesn''t make sense now. What it smacked of was a couple of players available at reasonable money - deja vue with Thorne

Of course there is still time to bring other players in. Presumably these will be the ones to keep the average age of the squad down after signing a 25 year old (good signing), a 29 year old (essential signing) and a 32 year old. Mmmm...Primus doesn''t fit into that model does he????

So Shrub, just where was my criticism of Peter Thorne? Or are you like many others on this Board (especially with respect to some of the attacks on Wizard and yankee) trying to find something that isn''t there??

Although Im cautious about this season I dont see why people are so worried. Two years ago we dominated division one and in my opinion we have a better team than then!

GK - Green is still there.

Df  - Shackell in my view will be better then malky, will score less goals, but I think will be a better all-round defender. Louis-Jean should be about level with Eddy. Drury is still Drury, consistent. And hopefully a Centre back to replace fleming.

Md - Huckerby on the left, but this time we have him all season and not 2/3rds of it! Jarrett and Safri I think will be just as good as holt/francis, still not sure about the right wing, lets just hope Jonsson comes good.

At - Well lets be honest, Deano and Leon were tearing apart the premiership, Im awaiting a full season of them in the championship eagerly.

I think Thorne was the perfect buy, a proven goalscorer, and he scored 14 goals for a poor team last season. In the perfect world he wont get too much game time (Fingers crossed Leon and Dean stay fit), but for a free transfer I think we have done some great business.

Still think we need another centre back, and another midfielder or two. But im confident worthy has it under control.

[quote]What worries me somewhat is that if Nige is scouting for and doing business for Thorne, who is looking at rebuilding our midfield and our defence? Life is all about priorities. What is our priority? ...[/quote]

"What worries me somewhat is that if Nige is scouting for and doing business for Thorne, who is looking at rebuilding our midfield and our defence?"

Tumbleweed - Id assume Worthy can look at more than one position over the course of a day, tis also why we have scouts.