Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Whats the point Worthy?

What''s the bloody point Worthy?,

Now we''re getting 32 year old Cardiff player Peter Thorne on another free, now I''m starting to get seriously nervous!.

Another move in the right direction, yeah right!!.

Bouncing back?, more like bouncing down.

Just what the hells going on, are we being led up the garden path here?.     

You seem to be forgetting that we''ll be playing a lot more games next season, pretty much two a week, so we''re going to need more options available to us as inevitably injures and suspensions will cause problems.

Having said that, I agree that signing Thorne was a bit of a disappointment!

Although I''m hopeful that we''ve still got a couple of big signings yet to come....

[quote]What''s the bloody point Worthy?, Now we''re getting 32 year old Cardiff player Peter Thorne on another free, now I''m starting to get seriously nervous!. Another move in the right direction, yeah rig...[/quote]

Oh stop moaning!!  We spent 3 million on a striker last season!  He is a bit of experience and back up for our first choice strikers!

And what happened to Worthys'' pledge on buying younger players?.

And when we get him, yes, I know Primus is 31, but he can still cut it in the Premiership.

Thorne.....free from Cardiff City............I rest my case!.       

[quote]What''s the bloody point Worthy?, Now we''re getting 32 year old Cardiff player Peter Thorne on another free, now I''m starting to get seriously nervous!. Another move in the right direction, yeah rig...[/quote]

He is building a sound squad built around last years better performers and adding some strength in depth to cover the numbers of games we will face.

Thorne is cover for Deano, bought cheaply with a  decent goal scoring record and can lead the line when needed, just what we need now sven has gone. Yes, it is not inspiring but a good squad player and just what we need up front bearing in mind.

Now for some cover for the wide midfielders...

OTBC

[quote]Oh stop moaning!! We spent 3 million on a striker last season! He is a bit of experience and back up for our first choice strikers![/quote]

You''re the one who will be moaning in 4 months time, so don''t blame me, I didn''t sign him mate!.

The point is that we need to improve the depth of our squad as we will be playing a lot more games. Our up front options Ashton, McKenzie, Hux, Thorne, Jarvis, Jonson, Henderson, McV. The first three would walk into any CCC team (and some Prem teams!) while the others would get into most CCC 1st team squad.

I think we will only make some BIG summer signings if we sell some of our star players. I would rather keep Francies, Green ect and add squad depth.

five words, goal scoring capable squad player.

or is goal scoring one word thus making four words, anyway can''t
fault getting a goal scorer for free can we.

Have to go along with 1st Wizard on this , 3 players brought in all on freebies and no position in the side actually strengthened . We can only hope for better in the coming weeks or are we building for a long stay in the Championship.

First Wiz - why don''t you lay off Worthy, the board, the club etc, rather than taking every opportunity to moan like an old woman.

Come on you yellahs.

He has the experience though Wiz, and is a proven goalscorer in the Championship. Worthy obviously doesn''t want to reply on either Jonsson or our youth (Jarvis and Hendo) for vital goals.

Last season he scored 13 goals in 19 starts - he knows how this League works and has proven he can score. If Deano gets an injury, we have someone we can bring on who will score goals - thats the point.

Worthy does have money to spend, hopefully he is focussing on the midfield (1 RM, 2 CM) and another defender. Thats where the money needs to be spent!

[quote]And what happened to Worthys'' pledge on buying younger players?. And when we get him, yes, I know Primus is 31, but he can still cut it in the Premiership. Thorne.....free from Cardiff City............[/quote]

The reason he''s free is that Cardiff are in a ridiculous amount of debt, something close to £30m I think. Thorne was one of their highest earners so they wanted to get rid of him quick. I wasn''t impressed to start with either, but I''m prepared to give him a chance and he could prove to be be a great signing. Can''t complain for free can you? 

Lets face it we needed another forward after matty svensson left. Thorne is a very good goalscorer with lots of experience he has scored over 50 goals in 3 seasons in a medioca team. Cardiff spent near on 2 million on him and getting him for nothing is i would say a good deal. How many people would moan if we had have spent 500k+ on someone who will be on the bench for next season. I feel this is a good signing and worthy should be praised. 3 very good players for no money who can argue with that - well aparenty you lot. lets get behind the manager he wouldnt buy players just for the sake of it.

Just spoke to my brother who goes to most Cardiff home games, he reckons we are getting a bargain. He holds the ball up well and knows where the back of the net is.  Let''s see what happens, before slagging Wothy off. 

Btw Wiz, didn''t you say you were going to lay off Worthy for a bit?

Not a bad bit of business - offload Svenny for £100k, replace him with someone who scored more times last season than Svenny scored in his entire City career...

[quote]You''re the one who will be moaning in 4 months time, so don''t blame me, I didn''t sign him mate!.[/quote]

We get rid of ''the dying swan'' for 100k and get a proven goalscorer with buckets of experience  as a BACK UP for nothing, zilch!  Sounds like a good bit of business to me!    So far we have only added to an already strong squad!!   Why does everyone seem to want us to spend millions, when McKenzie/Huckerby/Jonson/Ashton will scare the hell out of EVERY defence in the division. 

Our only weak spot is still right back, but if Primus comes then he will be a totally adequate right back, as he is for Portsmouth!

Stop moaning!

Personally I cannot believe the negativity on the messageboards today. We have brought in 3 players for next to nothing all of whom are provn to be capable at this level and they will add depth to our squad. Thorne is about as good as you are going to get in terms of a reserve striker and the Cardiff fans are all gutted we have knicked him for free.

We still have pretty much the same team as we had last season in the premier and if that is the case at the start of the season we will do very well. If any of our big name players do leave then they will be replaced. The key sigings this summer will be any replacement for Helveg or Francis (if needed) and I don''t think those signings have happened yet!

[quote]Have to go along with 1st Wizard on this , 3 players brought in all on freebies and no position in the side actually strengthened . We can only hope for better in the coming weeks or are we building f...[/quote]

I am seriously wondering what you guys are sniffing today!  We already have a team that will scare the hell out of everyone else in the championship, all we are doing is giving it some depth.  The money will be spent in january to give us a final push, as it was last time around.  Get real, there are no millions to splash out and no star buys coming, but what we have WILL DO THE JOB.

[quote]Personally I cannot believe the negativity on the messageboards today. We have brought in 3 players for next to nothing all of whom are provn to be capable at this level and they will add depth to our...[/quote]

Er.....Jarrett?  I would say he is the replacement for Francis, and more than adequate!

I for one think this aquisition is a a good replacement for Svensson, whom I liked, but was injury prone.  Last season we were woefully short in depth. The fact that he is on a free is a bonus. He has experience and knows what the game is all about. He will be able in his two available years to act as a tutor for the likes of Henderson and Jarvis. They can be gently introduced into the game when the team has got themselves into a strong position in each game. This reduces the pressure on young players.  This is good thinking on Worthy''s part.

I am always for introducing youth to our team, but an eighteen to twenty year old in this day and age is not as competative as his age group was fourty years ago. They seem to need a more kid glove approach. This is a reference to the trainers remarks in the EDP yesterday about Stringer running up Mousehold inclines with big Duncan Forbes on his back. Also I believe that the modern day training is not demanding enough on strength requirements.

We also want the team to turn up for the first half knowing that they can play 90 minutes flat out.  As someone has mentioned we do need a good quick mid fielder and a quick defender who can start defending further up the field, I believe that Worthy will do his best to fill these positions.

Wiz you know as well as I do that paying one and a half million + for players will not guarantee success for our team, but far enough down the line it can guarantee bankruptcy with relegation.

great signing! hes a goalscorer-and a proven one. just what we need in the championship. and the bonus is hes free! im glad we spent nothing on a player who we know what we will get, than breaking the bank!...Has just arrived and certain people already doubting his ability. sick of it.

Good trading all round ...... 3 players in, zero cost, average age down, squad stronger than last (Premiership not fizzy pop) year, ahead of the rush for players, money still available ....... Our position as one of the favourites to go up is justified ..... roll on 6/8, let''s get down to business!

Hurrah for lots of positive posts.  Keep up the good business Worthy.

totally agree with all the positive posters.

Wiz you know I respect you, but I really can''t believe you are starting the new season with yet another set of grumpy old man posts.

3 new signings, all proven at CCC level, two of them 6 ft, no departures that haven''t been replaced with equal or better players and all the new players were FREE.   How the hell anyone can moan about that I don''t know.

I am more excited about any Norwich City season than I have been since our UEFA season and I have a season ticket too, ON THE BALL CITY!!!!  

I''m sorry 1st whiz,but this does smack of another Worthybash thread,as in the other thread where you are "bloody furious" Same question applies ..what were you expecting?All I see is Worthington trying to build a squad,the signings and departures haven''t finished yet so it seems a bit premature to start ranting. 

[quote]And what happened to Worthys'' pledge on buying younger players?. And when we get him, yes, I know Primus is 31, but he can still cut it in the Premiership. Thorne.....free from Cardiff City............[/quote]

And what happened to Wiz''s pledge on giving Worthy twelve matches before slagging him off ? 

Or was that Captain Jack or Dave Schulz or .........

I am also very happy with this signing for all the reasons listed above.

1st Wiz, I just can not believe your negativity, it''s good fun having you on the board & I will respect everyones opinions, but come on, these 3 players for free?!!!!! I do worry that you will only be happy when we are run by Dave Bassett & go into administration whilst facing relegation

Top stuff, Worthy keep it up...

Blimey  Thorne scored more last season than Matty did in his time here (I think)  3 players who have bags of experience in this league,,, for nowt.....a good start to trading this year