Sign in to follow this  
YorkshirePudding

Bassong and Bennett

They had a shocker today, why were they always trying to get so tight to Ighalo when he was receiving the ball? They made it so easy for him to turn them every time. They weren''t doing this in other games, strange why they were today.

They were also physically dominated by his presence which was really surprising and disappointing.

It seems that the system being played today was less deep/defensive and this played into the hands lf Watford''s pressing team

I don''t think they were helped by the sheer number of times they were forced 1 v 1 against watford''s strikers, which was caused by our inability to find a forward pass that wasn''t 20 yards overhit.

Would give Bassong a 5, and Bennett a 6, personally.

Hardly suprising with the inept Dorrans and Howson and the out of form Tettay in front of them. With the totally inept and dreadful Grabban up front. And NOO!!!!! he did not have a good game against Arsenal. So don''t give me that crap!!!!!!

It is Watford''s tactics to isolate their strikers with the oppo CB''s in 1v1 situations. Usually works well, as both Deeney and Ighalo are strong in those situations.

AN did play a bit more offensive than recently today, and it olayed into Watford''s hands, really. Without Wes, we could bot keep the ball, and Watford broke on us time and again.

Didn''t play well today like a lot of others, but the tactics for this game were shocking, lumping the ball to Grabban who never looks great in that role was suicidal, as the ball was always going to keep comming back. Hopefully AN will look at this game and realise it was a plainly stupid way to set up.

Bassong had a shocker? If it wasn''t for some of his interventions today it could have been worse. If there''s a defender on the planet who has 100% record of goal prevention then I''d love to know his name. He was in for a tricky day and I think was one of our better players today.

[quote user="Alex "]Bassong had a shocker? If it wasn''t for some of his interventions today it could have been worse. If there''s a defender on the planet who has 100% record of goal prevention then I''d love to know his name. He was in for a tricky day and I think was one of our better players today.[/quote]

You can''t be serious. Bassong was completely done by a pretty ordinary striker like Ighalo. He looked like a nonleague defender.

i thought theyve looked fairly decent as a partnership since they were paired together......but today they really struggled with Ighalo.

He was everything Grabban wasn''t, quick,sharp,willing to turn his marker and able to play off the shoulder and get in behind the defence.

we desparately need to find one of them in january

If we didn''t play 2 twigs in centre mid and a dead leaf up front then we might have relieved some pressure from them.

I do think we need at least one big centre back in Jan though. Shame that lad from Napoli didn''t join in summer.

Talking of serious, Grefstad - that''s how I''ll take your posts when I know you were actually at the game.

Jesus are people actually blaming the defence for today''s defeat? Yes they weren''t great but our 5 man midfield were atrocious. ''He Who Cannot Be Dropped Howson'' and Dorrans are lightweight and championship standard. Tettey is too inconsistent and error prone. Redmond is probably the most overhyped player I''ve ever seen. Brady has been superb but even he was subdued today. If Alex Neil doesn''t start O''Neil, Mulumbu, and Ofoe next week he needs his head testing.

[quote user="Alex "]Bassong had a shocker? If it wasn''t for some of his interventions today it could have been worse. If there''s a defender on the planet who has t 100% record of goal prevention then I''d love to know his name. He was in for a tricky day and I think was one of our better players today.[/quote]

That is laughable, are you Seb''s agent or something?! Even at times when Bassong should have comfortably shielded the ball from Ighalo he was easily dispossessed. Pretty basic stuff

[quote user="Alex "]Talking of serious, Grefstad - that''s how I''ll take your posts when I know you were actually at the game.[/quote]

Lool. Another loser who thinks you have to endure a miserable afternoon at Vicarage Road to be able to have a meaning about Bassong''s shocking display.

You''re the only nuthead believing Bassong had a good game. Says it all. Now, head over to TWDT, or just go hide until you have something useful to say.

Yep, Wisdom didn''t defend well nor did he offer anything going forward. Like you say, had whittaker performed like that there would certainly be a thread about it.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="Alex "]Talking of serious, Grefstad - that''s how I''ll take your posts when I know you were actually at the game.[/quote]

Lool. Another loser who thinks you have to endure a miserable afternoon at Vicarage Road to be able to have a meaning about Bassong''s shocking display.

You''re the only nuthead believing Bassong had a good game. Says it all. Now, head over to TWDT, or just go hide until you have something useful to say.[/quote]

Haha - you''re as fake a supporter as they come young man. You can crack one off to your Norwegian streams as much as you like but you''ll never be CITY :)

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="Alex "]Bassong had a shocker? If it wasn''t for some of his interventions today it could have been worse. If there''s a defender on the planet who has 100% record of goal prevention then I''d love to know his name. He was in for a tricky day and I think was one of our better players today.[/quote]

You can''t be serious. Bassong was completely done by a pretty ordinary striker like Ighalo. He looked like a nonleague defender.[/quote]

I don''t think there is any competition for this post as the most mentally inept in board history.

Also if you honestly think Bassong is the issue with this team, that''s amazing mental slowness. Pair him with even a remotely decent CB partner and your defense is fine, honestly even with s--- like Ryan Bennett next to him is a perfectly acceptable PL center defense, which is amazing as he''s playing next to RYAN BENNETT!

I felt Bennett looked generally better than Basso yesterday but neither played badly really. It was midfield where we were poor. Brady had the worst performance I''ve seen from him, plenty of crosses coming in at waist height.

Perhaps they were both unsettled by change of goal keeper behind them?

Or more likely the poor cbs have affected the keepers?

Bennett''s mistakes were not punished with goals, but he was as poor as bassong on sat. They are oiur best pair and overall seb the best we have. But we simply need far better.

There''s no doubt about it, yesterday''s general performance levels were about as poor as it''s been since AN came in last January. And we''re all aware, as other teams are, of some of the squad''s shortcomings. There''s been good and bad from the summer transfer window but any injuries damagingly expose these shortcomings, e.g. Wes yesterday, Jarvis. We haven''t had it too bad so far with injuries but when the inevitable happens things look thin, particularly in defence. Bassong will be suspended soon for example. Russell Martin can''t be too happy at the moment but he''ll be needed to step in soon.

I''d still keep the same back 4 for next week. The problems yesterday lay further out the field. Tettey probably shouldn''t have started this game. Howson has a different role every week and isn''t really doing enough in any of them. Dorrans is starting to show why West Brom let him go. Is Mulumbu ready/fit? Redmond isn''t doing enough to start at the moment but perhaps the recent change in philosophy doesn''t suit him. Brady had an off day by his recent standards but did he get sufficient support when he tried to attack? O''Neil looked fairly comfortable as captain for the last few weeks and got dropped.

While there has been some positives from the last few weeks against Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal etc. the fact remains that 1 win in 10 is relegation form. I think the point against Arsenal had more to do with their injuries than us. No points for plucky performances and one-goal defeats. When you start getting nervous at other teams winning, confidence drains very quickly.

I think it''s very important not to lose next week. Has Odjidja-Ofoe done enough to earn a start? Will O''Neil or Mulumbu get the nod? Will Tettey be fit? Redmond from the bench? Grabban? Rudd will most likely get another start for a home match. AN will have to change the midfield for Everton after yesterday. Hopefully Wes is back. 6 days away but for me:

Rudd

Wisdom Bennett Bassong Olsson

Mulumbu O''Neil

Odjidja Wes Brady

Jerome

I''m concerned about why Mulumbu hasn''t played much when available as I thought he was going to be a great signing. Above formation looks potentially dodgy down the right too, maybe special instructions for 1 of Mulumbu/O''Neil. Wes mightn''t be ready for Everton and maybe Tettey will be. I still think Jerome gives opposition defences the most to think about for the first 65 to 70 mins. Howson needs a breather. Could spring Redmond, Mbokani and Howson in the second half with the score deadlocked at 0-0 after 65mins!

AN deserves more patience than some of the posters on here today are showing. Mistakes were made yesterday but every team has bad days (Arsenal last week?) It''s how you respond that shows true spirit. Let''s leave yesterday and look forward.

That was a long post