Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Norwich City Shareholders Association.

Due to lack of numbers attending their meetings although they had over 250 members has been wound up. Their funds which amounted to several thousands have been distributed between The Norwich City Historical Trust and a local charity.

Sorry if this is a stupid question Tilly but did they hold shares or just cash then?

Also seems odd to fold up because people dont attend meetings??

They were (i seem to remember ) obtaining shares by donation, looking to build a supporters legacy, idea was good, but takes a lot to make initiates like that get off the ground, never mind work

That''s not them Lessingham. I think you''re thinking of the Supporters Trust.

I contacted this shareholders association once to invite them to the Canaries Quiz. They didn''t even acknowledge the email. I won''t miss them...................

[;)]

Keep them buddy. They aint never going to be worth anything but it''s great to own a little bit of the club. I''ve had 25 shares since the 1980s. I split them up last year so I now have nine and my son and daughter eight each. We could form our own association[:)]

[quote user="cityangel"]Sorry if this is a stupid question Tilly but did they hold shares or just cash then?

Also seems odd to fold up because people dont attend meetings??[/quote]To be a member you had to be a shareholder in your own right and anybody amongst our shareholders could join for a yearly subscription. I think the aim was to safeguard the interests of shareholders. The money held was i believe just accumulated subscriptions and i don''t think they ever purchased shares. Never really got going and i am told there were hardly ever enough turn up to hold committee meetings. Sorry to sound vague but the information i have i gleaned from Roy Blower.

Thanks Tilly for explanation, at least some of the money has gone to charity so will help some folk

[quote user="nutty nigel"]I''ve had 25 shares since the 1980s. I split them up last year so I now have nine and my son and daughter eight each.[/quote]Sending three lots of accounts out instead of one explains why we couldn''t afford a defender in the summer. [8o|]

[quote user="cityangel"]Thanks Tilly for explanation, at least some of the money has gone to charity so will help some folk[/quote]I have spoken to Roy again today and he confirms that the Shareholders Association did not hold any shares and that the number of members had dwindled over the years since 2004 from several hundred down to 250. The straw that broke the camel''s back so to speak is when only 11 turned up for the AGM earlier this year. With virtually no administration costs the bank account when it was wound up a couple of weeks ago amounted to £12,000 made up of £10 a year subscriptions. As previously stated £3000 went to the Norwich City Historical Trust and a further £3000 was given to the Club to assist with a cosmetic refurb of the disabled section in the Community stand. The remaining £6000 has gone to the Academy. Sorry if i misled you over the charity aspect.