Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Team statistics from Whoscored.com (Opta)

[quote user="grefstad"]Tackles: Norwich 2nd worst for tackles madeDribbled past: 4th worst

Interceptions per game: Worst of all teams

Also worrying is the offensive stat of unforced errors:

Unsuccessful touches (bad control): Worst of all

They way I interpret this, we give the ball away unforced more times than any other team. This failure to keep the ball, even in unforced situations, is food for thought about the quality of our team, perhaps espescially our midfield.

The stats does not tell where these unforced errors happen (they may do, but I have not checked it thoroughly enough), but it is probably a fair assumption most of these errors happen in the midfield areas.[/quote]https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5hls9TTqedlARA9qiDVvupNm3_FrCzyXeZn-qhr_avyQlQah09w

[quote user="bristolcanary"]So. The consensus is that we are on a role then? Great stuff![/quote]

Consensus seems to be a constant state of denial, until we are in so deep shit that there is not other way than admit they should have seen it earlier.

Much like the Hughton relegation season.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="bristolcanary"]So. The consensus is that we are on a role then? Great stuff![/quote]

Consensus seems to be a constant state of denial, until we are in so deep shit that there is not other way than admit they should have seen it earlier.

Much like the Hughton relegation season.[/quote]

We didn''t get relegated when Hughton was the manager, you don''t seem to know much about NCFC.

[quote user="JF"]Quite surprised by the interception stat. Is a strength of Tetteys game and wouldn''t have expected to be bottom of that.[/quote]

Actually, I wouldn''t say he is good at intercepting. I would say that he is great at breaking up play and sweeping in front of the back four.

As with a lot of stats though, it would be nice to know what the actual definition of an interception is. I say that because some people will consider preventing a pass from being completed. Some will only consider it an interception if a player wins and retains the ball.

I have compared stats from different sources before and their idea of what a shot on target is varies greatly.

I also watched a game where Bradley Johnson was reported as only putting in 3-4 tackles. I remembered a 5-10 minute period where he put in more than that many tackles.

I always take these sorts of stats with a pinch of salt.

Grefstad, how have these stats progressed since the Newcastle game? And why, after anyone else posts stats, are you so dismissive of them?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Grefstad, how have these stats progressed since the Newcastle game? And why, after anyone else posts stats, are you so dismissive of them?[/quote]

Do you mean the stats that show that we didn''t get relegated when Chris Hughton was the manager?

Truly staggered by these stats didn''t realise just how inept we have been under Neil

Having reflected I am going to start a campaign to sack Neil and replace him with a north west based championship manager

[quote user="Prince of Darkness "]Truly staggered by these stats didn''t realise just how inept we have been under Neil

Having reflected I am going to start a campaign to sack Neil and replace him with a north west based championship manager[/quote]

At least it will be more succesfull than Smudger/Ruthers one man march from the Murderers!

[quote user="Prince of Darkness "]Truly staggered by these stats didn''t realise just how inept we have been under Neil

Having reflected I am going to start a campaign to sack Neil and replace him with a north west based championship manager[/quote]Noooooooooooooooooo not Neil Lennon. [:D]

If you read the Secret Footballer he says there''s not one single player, coach or manager who takes any notice if Opta stats.

Its aimed at fans who want to be arm chair Alan Hansens

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]If you read the Secret Footballer he says there''s not one single player, coach or manager who takes any notice if Opta stats.

Its aimed at fans who want to be arm chair Alan Hansens[/quote]
If true that would explain why England, English footballers, English coaches and English managers are virtually unknown species outside domestic football and the EPL is so dominated by overseas players, managers and, increasingly, Directors of Football. 

I doubt the validity of this claim. Why would the clubs pay for these stats and employ people to analyse them if the managers and players are going to ignore them.

Recruitment of players is largely statistics based these days. If it is right or wrong, I don''t know, but espescially the scouts use different statistics to filter player types in the searches.

Also for the work with tactics ahead of games, I am sure stats play a part.

If you see a team doing 45% of their attacks on the right, it would be pretty ignorant to overlook it.

I think it is more common to use stats in both recruiting and tactics, even training ground work, in other nations than England though. The Germans are espescially into this.

[quote user="grefstad"]Recruitment of players is largely statistics based these days. If it is right or wrong, I don''t know, but espescially the scouts use different statistics to filter player types in the searches.

Also for the work with tactics ahead of games, I am sure stats play a part.

If you see a team doing 45% of their attacks on the right, it would be pretty ignorant to overlook it.

I think it is more common to use stats in both recruiting and tactics, even training ground work, in other nations than England though. The Germans are espescially into this.[/quote]
Unless 55% come from the left, in which case you could kind of forgive it.