Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Team statistics from Whoscored.com (Opta)

I am posting some stats which maybe could be an eye opener to some. This is also posted in another thread, but could be useful to discuss these in a thread of its own.

May I ask for this thread not to be destroyed by the oneliners of the Deluded Club. Fruitful discussions welcome, oneliners and shoot-the-messenger stuff can p*ss off.

A bit cumbersome to find on the Whoscored website.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/5826/Stages/12496/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2015-2016

Try the above link. Or, go to Statistics, then Team statistics, and there are "flips" for Defensive, Offensive, etc.

Key stats:

Norwich rated the poorest team of all with a rating of 6.64 after game week 15.

Defensive stats:

---------------------

Tackles: Norwich 2nd worst for tackles made

Dribbled past: 4th worst

Interceptions per game: Worst of all teams

Fouls per game: 9th most fouls made

Clearances: Most made of all teams

Shots blocked: 15th

Crosses blocked: 15th

Passes blocked: 18th

Saves made: 12th (inside 6yrd box, most of all teams)

Offensive stats:

--------------------

Shots made: 13th

Shots on target: 12th

Dribbles made: 14th

Fouls drawn: Last of all, by some distance

Unsuccessful touches (bad control): Worst of all

Disposessed (no dribble involved) 14th

Aerials won: 13th

Aerials lost: 9th (here 1st is bad)

As for distances run, I can only find stats up to Oct 21th.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/premier-league-clubs-covered-most-6677204

Per Oct 21, it shows Norwich as the third worst team for kilometers run in games. Surprisingly Bournemouth is the team clocking most miles.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]At least we are good at clearances, nice to know ! will sleep much better tonite now.[/quote]

Hehe, would be better not having to make clearances. I guess stats can be interpreted in many ways. Rather low on interceptions, so you may interpret it as last ditch desperation...

[quote user="TIL 1010"]We have played six games since those statistics.[/quote]

The Whoscored stats is per gameweek 15.

The running stats (last link) is per Oct 21, thats true.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]You were wrong, stop making stuff up.

[/quote]

Whats wrong? The defensive stats and offensive stats are correct as per gameweek 15.

Only the running stats are older, per Oct 21.

If you are clutching at straws, claiming I pushed us at being last in every category, you are right. We are not. But we are pretty poor in most categories, as the stats show.

If you care to enter Whoscored.com yourself, check it.

If not, it is probably better to bury your head in the sand and hope the fairy bring some better stats tomorrow.

Also, at Whoscored.com, they are rating Norwich as the worst team overall, of all the 20 teams, when adding all the different stats together.

Not a surprise to us following the team with a realistic outlook, but to the ignorants, it may be...

So running about isn''t that important if Bournemouth are where they are. It seems like playing well is a most important after all. But the stats don''t look for unforced errors and such. Conclusion: we ain''t playing that well.

So what next print it out and send it to Colney? Perhaps a picket line with boards with these stats on them?

Quite surprised by the interception stat. Is a strength of Tetteys game and wouldn''t have expected to be bottom of that.

Every team in the Premier use stats quite a lot these days. Also every scout use them, so for AN and the team at Colney, the stats at Opta will be no surprise.

They will know, for sure.

Doing something about it (changing it to the better) is the difficult part, though.

[quote user="JF"]Quite surprised by the interception stat. Is a strength of Tetteys game and wouldn''t have expected to be bottom of that.[/quote]

Yes, me too. I guess, interceptions will in this case be both in midfield and in defence, but mobility, and ability to read the game will count a lot into these interception stats, and it seems we lack in both.

If the players are not moving their feet quickly and often enough, they wont intercept (unless the players read the game exceptionally well).

Also, since we are 2nd worst for tackles made, it suggests we are sitting back a lot, not getting stuck in, and as such, not giving ourselves a good chance of intercepting either.

In one of the better games we have played this season, away at West Ham, AN abandones width, and narrowed our defensive setup, leaving space on the sides, but making it compact and tight in the middle (knowing Payet and co like to attack down the middle). It was a success that day.

Such a tactic would likely work well against most teams playing 4-5-1, espescially those without proper wingers.

Against Everton, it will be interesting to see AN´s approach. Delofeu is not an oldfashioned winger, but he likes to drift inside. Naysmith likely occupying the other side, if Mirallas is still out, so Everton will not play oldfashined wingers. Calls for a compact setup, maybe similar to the West Ham setup.

Grefstad going out of his way to prove his team is rubbish. What a sad sack......

In all honesty this mainly tells us stuff that is quite obvious from watching us- we create an ok amount of chances, we give the ball away too easily and we really struggle to stop teams coming at us.

I''d wager we were significantly higher in the ''shots'' categories before the change of playing style though.

[quote user="king canary"]In all honesty this mainly tells us stuff that is quite obvious from watching us- we create an ok amount of chances, we give the ball away too easily and we really struggle to stop teams coming at us.

I''d wager we were significantly higher in the ''shots'' categories before the change of playing style though.[/quote]
Yes but you don''t get points for shots. We''ve lost many games to opponents who''ve had far fewer shots.

Thanks for that explainer WestCoast- up until now I''d never realised that...

What I was getting at was that most of the season we;ve actually not struggled to create chances- the big issues have been at the back.

Yes, the big issues have been at the back, but the question is if the problems at the back is more a result of errors made in midfield. A weak midfield will create problems for any defence, and the stats has us near bottom of tackles made, interceptions, etc.

We are also near the bottom or bottom for unforced errors, so it paints a picture.

[quote user="JF"]Quite surprised by the interception stat. Is a strength of Tetteys game and wouldn''t have expected to be bottom of that.[/quote]

It is a strength of tettey, however it''s clear that the rest of the team have simply not pulled their weight, esp in comparison with other teams. That''s been clear since very early this season, and despite popular opinion its not just Redmond who doesn''t defend from midfield

The league table also paints a picture, and for me it highlights our relative position much more succintly than any other set of statistics. I am sure the Opta stats have their use, but ultimately it will be our points tally that will be our judge, not how many yards we have run, how many shots we have had etc.

I am not trying to detract from the OP, it is clear that we have problems, for me I will rely on the league table to provide me with the information I require and it does not make pretty reading at the moment.

That all said will I stop supporting Norwich City, of course I won`t it, I have said it before and I will say it again the day I stop supporting Norwich City is the day I have shuffled from this mortal coil and the day i stop going to CR is the day my health finally prevents me from doing so (hopefully not for a few years yet), I am as concerned about our plight as anyone but the ups and down are all part of being a football supporter........

I thought we were bottom of everything Grefstad, you did say that, didn''t you?Why are you making stuff up to run down the team you allegedly support?You raging phallus.

[quote user="morty"]I thought we were bottom of everything Grefstad, you did say that, didn''t you?Why are you making stuff up to run down the team you allegedly support?You raging phallus.[/quote]

Are you sick, or "just" deluded? Or are you saying that my point is not valid, even though the stats show a minor inaccuracy compared to my previous clames? You are clutching at your deluded straws.

The point is still valid. Your childish outbreak is not.

[quote user="grefstad"][quote user="morty"]I thought we were bottom of everything Grefstad, you did say that, didn''t you?Why are you making stuff up to run down the team you allegedly support?You raging phallus.[/quote]

Are you sick, or "just" deluded? Or are you saying that my point is not valid, even though the stats show a minor inaccuracy compared to my previous clames? You are clutching at your deluded straws.

The point is still valid. Your childish outbreak is not.[/quote]You made a claim. It was made up.Your point was wrong.Is it childish that I call you a raging phallus? Probably.But my point is still entirely correct and valid. Yours wasn''t.