Sign in to follow this  
swjf50

A new look starting eleven for Everton

I would give Rudd another game or two, as it takes a player time to bed in and build up confidence. The players in front of him aren''t helping much but we have few options in defence.

So my starting line up would be.......

Rudd

Wisdom Bennett. Bassong. Olsson

O''Neil. Mulumbu

Vadis Brady

Hoolahan

Mbokani

Or

Rudd

Martin. Bennett. Bassong

Wisdom. Mulumbu Brady

O''Neil (c)

Vadis Hoolahan

Mbokani

I would definitely drop Howson, Dorrans, Grabban and Redmond from the starting eleven. I would make O''Neil captain ahead of Martin. Redmond and Jerome to come on to make an impact if we need one in the second half.

Would go with the top one but with Redmond over Vadis.

I get the feeling with someone half decent to aim for/ play off in the box Redmond will have one of his good games.

I think we need a settled side. I agree, perhaps Rudd should keep his place.

Generally I''ve been much more impressed with our defence (bar the last game) than at the start of the season. So Wisdom Bennett Bassong Olsson keep their places until January.

Brady has been good this season and is doing well with Olsson on that side. Think we''ll need to have 2 combative defensive midfielders against Everton, so Mulumbu and Tettey; O'' Neil is solid and has done pretty well but he''s not got the same qualities as the other two that I think we need. Think this could be a good game for Redmond and Hoolahan; yes its unbalanced but I think its going to be a game with a lot of chances in; as the home team we could edge it.

For the striker, well CamJam isn''t going to score on a regular basis in this league, Grabban isn''t good enough, Lafferty won''t get a look in, therefore Mbokani is the best choice. He''s the only one who looks like a could play in this league on a regular basis, and I''m surprised he hasn''t played more tbh. Therefore I''d go with:

-------------------Rudd-----------------

Wisdom--Bennett--Bassong--Olsson

-------------Tettey----Mulumbu--------

Redmond------Hoolahan-------Brady

-----------------Mbokani----------------

We''ll be looking to bounce back, we can only do it with our best players. We need to get a more-or-less fixed line up until January. For the away games I''d drop Hoolahan and play another midfielder (e.g. Dorrans, Howson, VOO etc).

Decent suggestions, but my preference would be: 
         Rudd
              Bennett  Martin  Bassong 
Wisdom Brady
                  Mulumbu  O''Neil
                           Hoolahan
   Mbokani Jerome
This combines width, a physical (and capable in my opinion) front two, with defensive balance

I agree that we need to have a settled 11 as much as possible as I believe it will give the players greater confidence as they seem so scared of making a mistake and loosing there spot in the team that they don''t try anything risky, especially Redmond. I wouldn''t mind seeing

Rudd; Wisdom, Bennet, Bassong, Olsson; Tettey; Mulumbu, Hoolahan; Redmond, Brady; M''Bokani.

Playing a 4-3-3 rather than a 4-2-3-1 with Hoolahan in a more centre mid position which he almost plays at times dropping deep to get the ball anyway and with tettey and Mulumbu around him there should be enough strength to outway his lack of size and means he should always be available to relieve the ball and set one of the front three away.

I have to agree with Barclay seats 48/49.

Tettey was injured for a few games and the midfield looked far more solid in possession and defence. I like Tettey but for me, this season teams seem to have targeted him as the weak link when it comes to passing.

Against Leicester they tried to pressure the ball to him and then force him into errors, sloppy passing etc. Against Watford I think we saw a bit more of the same and his defensive play let him down as well on the day.

In many ways I don''t get why we changed personnel as Watford try to keep the ball down, play to feet and find the space in behind. They don''t have the quality of Arsenal but their approach is the same. So you want to starve them of the ball. Which means you need to retain it more.

I''d like to see Mulumbu given a go and O''Neil. Yes, O''Neil may not be as good physically as Tettey but he is better positionally and is more able to turn play, if he wins the ball he can play a good pass rather than have to find someone to play the good ball. Not only that, his set pieces have been of a good consistent quality.

I also wouldn''t mind seeing Vadis given a go, whether that be on the wing or as one of the central three I''m not sure.

Our back four remains the weak link so needs two midfielders to protect it. The four from sat are inadequate but will do. Tettey partnering either Mulumbu or O''Neil strikes the defensive balance

Our strength earlier in the season was the creativity from midfield so we should maximise that, with Brady and Redmond either side or wes or voo if wes injured.

Press with the industrious space creating Jerome leading the line

We must not compromise attacking threat by going 5 at the back v Everton, although lukaku will cause b&b more nightmares than ighalo

Rudd

Wisdom Bennett bassong olsson

Tettey.

Redmond. Wes. Mulumbj Brady

Jerome

Obviously I don''t see training and I''m not a full time football manager so tactics are out the window, but based on what I''ve seen so far this season my XI would be;

Rudd

Wisdom Bennet Bassong Olsson

O''Neil

Howson Mulumbu Brady

Hoolahan

Mbokani

Tettey - poor against Watford. Wouldn''t be in ahead of O''Neil based on recent performances.

Dorrans - I''d prefer Mulumbu''s presence against a physical Everton midfield.

Redmond - non-existent and marked out the game against Everton. I''d bring him on in the second half against a tiring defence.

Ruddy - as others have said, deserves some time on the bench as Rudd deserves a chance and can''t be held accountable for the two goals at Watford.

Vadis - Haven''t seen enough to say he warrants a start ahead of Hoolahan if fit.

Jerome - Hasn''t scored enough.

Grabban - Didn''t do enough against Everton.

Martin - Don''t think either Benno or Bassong deserve dropping really. Bassong had a ''mare against Watford but he''s been solid otherwise.

Lafferty - Again, nothing to suggest he''s ever going to start for us and will most definitely be on the move in January unless that changes.

I would like to see us try two up top like we did second half vs Watford (although to no avail) however we''d have to drop Hoolahan if we did so, but I think the game needs bodies in midfield so Wes gets the nod for me.

Contrary to popular belief, Tettey IS infact our weak link in midfield. Reason being he is a onedimensional player.

he can break up play, but that''s about all that is to his game.

Slow passing, inaccurate passing, conceding cheap free kicks, etc.

I also thinks he disturbs our rythm, as he his passing is normally very safe (sideways, backwards).

He is also a bit of a hot head, so I would prefer O''Neil or Vadis in for Tettey for the coming games.

Howson also needs a rest.

Jerome needs to start up front for me. The only one likely to create gaps for our midfield whilst also keeping the Everton CB''s occupied with his physicality.

oneil and mulumbu, reders hoolahan and brady doesnt sound a bad option.

Im not entirely sure why Rudd desrves to start again. Didnt really convince on saturday. Couple of occasions when he should have been claiming the ball (in and around his 6yd area!) and stood like a rabbit in the headlights.

With defenders like Bassong and Bennett they need a commanding keeper behind. Ighalo getting a cross shot in from 5yds after both bassong and bennet left it and rudd stood still was a nightmare to watch

Rudd (agree he looked as uncertain as Ruddy at Watford but at least any errors did not cost goals)

Defensive four (transfer window left us with no choice here)

Mulumbu O''Neil Brady (Tettey/Dorrans/Howson all really poor at Watford)

Hoolahan (give Vad a go if not fit) Redmond (woeful at Watford but only when he plays with Wes do we look like scoring)

Jerome (transfer window left us with little choice here best we''ve got but not convincing)

A wasted first quarter of the season, with our run of easy fixtures, has left a win against Everton a must. Defeats will obviously follow in the next two regardless, followed by the six pointer against Villa. Lose on Saturday and we will likely be bottom going into the Villa match.

I would play lafferty up front I would say prove to me you can stay in the team

he hasn''t had a chance up front or a run of games

nobody else is scoring so why not ?

his confidence is high for country he is scoring goals

I think he is a bit of a prankster and maybe not the best trainer but its match days we are all worried about you don''t win games at colney you win them on a Saturday

Get Turncoat as far away from the first team as possible. Promote Loza and Laffs to the bench. Get Wes, Mulumbu and O''Neil back in midfield and keep Rudd in nets.

Igahlo is quite a bit better than some are giving him credit for. Lukaku won''t cause the problems that Igahlo did.

Our centre back''s was shocking away at Watford and I believed Rudd involvement in this game play his part of that fragile performance both Bassong and Bennet.

Keeper communication is also very imp imo.

I''m sure Rudd will keep his place but possibly he need 4-5 games to settle with our back four more comfortably

"Igahlo is quite a bit better than some are giving him credit for. Lukaku won''t cause the problems that Igahlo did."

I''d love to know what planet you''re on, I know who I''d have in my team out of Lukaku and Igahlo!