Sign in to follow this  
nochain09

Alan Bowkett steps down

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Indeed it was. I''m pretty sure it was Fry the previous year. He wasn''t there then. And much more fuss was made. Just ask our buddy VOS ;)[/quote] Nutty you are correct as usual. It was last year that I was one of a couple or so who voted against his re-election. Can''t remember if he apologised this year but I think I have only ever seen him once at an AGM. Personally I feel he adds nothing to the Club. I am too old to understand what Twitter means, but if I had 10m followers does that infer I am a prize twit !!

I had the doubtful honour of attending the same school as Stephen, albeit not at the same time. It is fairly common knowledge that he was expelled for non-attendance. Obviously he is a very talented actor, but from my experience that profession does not mix well with finance, company organisation and possibly straightforward thinking. We need a supporters representative on the Board. Over to you Nutty !!

[quote user="vos"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Indeed it was. I''m pretty sure it was Fry the previous year. He wasn''t there then. And much more fuss was made. Just ask our buddy VOS ;)[/quote] Nutty you are correct as usual. It was last year that I was one of a couple or so who voted against his re-election. Can''t remember if he apologised this year but I think I have only ever seen him once at an AGM. Personally I feel he adds nothing to the Club. I am too old to understand what Twitter means, but if I had 10m followers does that infer I am a prize twit !!

I had the doubtful honour of attending the same school as Stephen, albeit not at the same time. It is fairly common knowledge that he was expelled for non-attendance. Obviously he is a very talented actor, but from my experience that profession does not mix well with finance, company organisation and possibly straightforward thinking. We need a supporters representative on the Board. Over to you Nutty !![/quote]He isn''t there for any of that sort of stuff Vos. Its about name recognition and a wide range of contacts in the media.You might as well say what does Foulger bring to the table other than boiled eggs.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="vos"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Indeed it was. I''m pretty sure it was Fry the previous year. He wasn''t there then. And much more fuss was made. Just ask our buddy VOS ;)[/quote] Nutty you are correct as usual. It was last year that I was one of a couple or so who voted against his re-election. Can''t remember if he apologised this year but I think I have only ever seen him once at an AGM. Personally I feel he adds nothing to the Club. I am too old to understand what Twitter means, but if I had 10m followers does that infer I am a prize twit !!

I had the doubtful honour of attending the same school as Stephen, albeit not at the same time. It is fairly common knowledge that he was expelled for non-attendance. Obviously he is a very talented actor, but from my experience that profession does not mix well with finance, company organisation and possibly straightforward thinking. We need a supporters representative on the Board. Over to you Nutty !![/quote]He isn''t there for any of that sort of stuff Vos. Its about name recognition and a wide range of contacts in the media.You might as well say what does Foulger bring to the table other than boiled eggs.[/quote]

Well that could be said for all our board Ricardo, Delia said no more investment out of her pocket and the rest don''t contribute other than supporting the club and running it!

Have to say very well last year with a quick return, but the lack of investment or pulling power which ever was the case starting to look like we might be back playing the binners next year.

I''m not knocking the board but we do lack clout and we''re not the most attractive choice to potential targets.

Is AN the right man given we are now a less than 3 weeks to the transfer window? I''m not convinced we should change but there is a strong argument to make a change, like Swansea and Sunderland.

The joys of football and running a top flight club.

No one on here knows why Bowkett has stepped down but it was his introduction which along with MacNally changed our fortunes, let''s hope his departure doesn''t cast a negative downturn to our fortunes.

[quote user="Indy"]

Is AN the right man given we are now a less than 3 weeks to the transfer window? I''m not convinced we should change but there is a strong argument to make a change, like Swansea and Sunderland. [/quote]Some will change and survive, some will change and still go down.Those that survive will think they made the right choice.

[quote user="vos"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Indeed it was. I''m pretty sure it was Fry the previous year. He wasn''t there then. And much more fuss was made. Just ask our buddy VOS ;)[/quote] Nutty you are correct as usual. It was last year that I was one of a couple or so who voted against his re-election. Can''t remember if he apologised this year but I think I have only ever seen him once at an AGM. Personally I feel he adds nothing to the Club. I am too old to understand what Twitter means, but if I had 10m followers does that infer I am a prize twit !!

I had the doubtful honour of attending the same school as Stephen, albeit not at the same time. It is fairly common knowledge that he was expelled for non-attendance. Obviously he is a very talented actor, but from my experience that profession does not mix well with finance, company organisation and possibly straightforward thinking. We need a supporters representative on the Board. Over to you Nutty !![/quote]

Sorry but I don''t see how his time at school has any relevance to him being on a board of a football. Also he''s not just an actor, he''s a bit of an all rounder, a polymath, and has made a lot of money through his creativity. Plus not all actors are feckless idiots. The way I see his tenure is more of an ''honorary'' board member. Not there to do much, but there to spread the good word through his connections and fame.As to a supporters representative. Maybe, but be careful what you wish for. Dave from Lowestoft having a say in the running of your club???

[quote user="Indy"]Well that could be said for all our board Ricardo, Delia said no more investment out of her pocket and the rest don''t contribute other than supporting the club and running it!

Have to say very well last year with a quick return, but the lack of investment or pulling power which ever was the case starting to look like we might be back playing the binners next year.

I''m not knocking the board but we do lack clout and we''re not the most attractive choice to potential targets.

Is AN the right man given we are now a less than 3 weeks to the transfer window? I''m not convinced we should change but there is a strong argument to make a change, like Swansea and Sunderland.

The joys of football and running a top flight club.

No one on here knows why Bowkett has stepped down but it was his introduction which along with MacNally changed our fortunes, let''s hope his departure doesn''t cast a negative downturn to our fortunes.[/quote]No. The argument is not strong. Changing the manager would not bring in new investment or make us more attractive to potential signings. Next month we would still be a provincial club paying low - by Premier League standards - wages, with the huge disadvantage that the new manager would be starting from scratch in terms of transfer targets, whereas Neil and McNally will have already identified the players they want.

Who said anything about changing the manager bringing in new investment?

When you pick out points from a paragraph you can make your own point up. Nicely done Purple!

1 win in 11 games is a strong argument to make a change! 1 win in 15 if the games go against us is even more stronger.

Please respond correctly and not make sh1te up.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Neil and McNally will have already identified the players they want.[/quote]Neil confirmed tonight that negotiations are in progress for January signings.

Negotiations were ongoing in the summer but some targets decided against joining us, some joined.....hopefully this window we might just get a couple decent additions even if on loan.

We need experience and quality for the fight, we shall see.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Neil and McNally will have already identified the players they want.[/quote]Neil confirmed tonight that negotiations are in progress for January signings.[/quote]Thanks, lapps. I can''t see that online yet, but it doesn''t surprise me. I am confident the aim is to spend a record amount of several million (unless we do it mainly via loans from overseas) for a winter window. Of course wishing won''t necessarily make it so. But your piece of news does also emphasise the unlikelihood of us changing managers.There is another story quoting Robert Wilson from Sheffield Hallam University on the need to replace Bowkett quickly because of the looming transfer window. Wilson has a good reputation as an expert on football finance, but he is probably (through lack of specific knowledge) overstating the role the chairman has played for us in transfers since Chase left. Almost certainly now Neil and McNally are the main players in negotiations.

What''s the likelyhood that these three new board members have any footballing acumen? One''s supposedly a marketing person, but what about the other two?I fear this will be an exercise in going round in circles. Lots of fans will be excited and filled with optimism, but suffer that horrid realisation that it''s still Groundhog Day when we wake up in the Championship.

[quote user="9Зvintage"]What''s the likelyhood that these three new board members have any footballing acumen? One''s supposedly a marketing person, but what about the other two?I fear this will be an exercise in going round in circles. Lots of fans will be excited and filled with optimism, but suffer that horrid realisation that it''s still Groundhog Day when we wake up in the Championship.[/quote]As far as I know the notions that there are going to be three new directors and that one will have a marketing background are not confirmed. You may be placing too much faith in one particular poster...The official statement talked about directors plural without giving a number, and a new chairman. It could be there are two new directors and the chairman will be either one of those or an existing director.

Ricardo/Herman. Points taken but what specifically has he brought to the Club during his directorship ?? You mention media connections. He presumably is influential within the BBC in view of the work he does for them, but MOD and other Sports Programmes really ever give us much of a mention or publicity. Most of the Press gave whole page coverage of our recent game against Arsenal. I saw one report which mentioned the word "Norwich" twice. If he has a large audience, how exactly have they helped us ??

Michael Foulger on the other hand is a local businessman and must have numerous contacts in the County. In my eyes he is "Mr. Norfolk" on the Board. He is an important member and an ideal deputy Chairman.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="9Зvintage"]What''s the likelyhood that these three new board members have any footballing acumen? One''s supposedly a marketing person, but what about the other two?I fear this will be an exercise in going round in circles. Lots of fans will be excited and filled with optimism, but suffer that horrid realisation that it''s still Groundhog Day when we wake up in the Championship.[/quote]As far as I know the notions that there are going to be three new directors and that one will have a marketing background are not confirmed. You may be placing too much faith in one particular poster...The official statement talked about directors plural without giving a number, and a new chairman. It could be there are two new directors and the chairman will be either one of those or an existing director.[/quote]With the club tending to be somewhat careful with its cash, then two might be correct. Perhaps it could be the case that Stephen Fry will step down, citing lack of time to fulfil his role properly.

[quote user="ricardo"]You might as well say what does Foulger bring to the table other than boiled eggs.[/quote]And the odd loan of a million or two over the years.

The more I sit here and think about this, the more I''m convinced that Bowkett''s exit is about the club wage structure. Bowkett is the one who put the financial management plan in place that got us out of the mess we were in and (presumably) is therefore the person who set the current, many would argue too restrictive, player wage structure.

A lot has been speculated about how our refusal to break that structure may well be responsible for our inability to sign top class players in the summer, and our subsequent problems on the field.

I wonder therefore if the other directors have decided that we have to break Bowkett''s rules which have got us this far financially in an effort to secure January signings, and he decided that he can''t work with a board who won''t follow his recommendations after all he''s achieved on the financial side of the club?

Again this is just guesswork but the pieces do seem to fit together logically given the timing and Neil''s comments about already being in negotiations with transfer targets.

[quote user="vos"]Ricardo/Herman. Points taken but what specifically has he brought to the Club during his directorship ?? You mention media connections. He presumably is influential within the BBC in view of the work he does for them, but MOD and other Sports Programmes really ever give us much of a mention or publicity. Most of the Press gave whole page coverage of our recent game against Arsenal. I saw one report which mentioned the word "Norwich" twice. If he has a large audience, how exactly have they helped us ??

Michael Foulger on the other hand is a local businessman and must have numerous contacts in the County. In my eyes he is "Mr. Norfolk" on the Board. He is an important member and an ideal deputy Chairman.[/quote]I agree with the above. Another point about Fry is that he doesn''t need a seat on the board in order to evangelise about Norwich City. Would we worry about him not mentioning the club on Twitter or helping us in other unseen ways if he was moved to a Presidential role?

So you''re upset because Fry didn''t have a word in Lineker''s shell like?

Who is more likely to get more people interested in Norwich? World famous celebrity or some pretty much unknown bloke from Norfolk?

Is there a cost to the club for each board member?

Are there a fixed number of placed on the board?

Is Stephen Fry taking the place of someone more valuable to the club?

AFAIK,the answer to all these is no, so what is the objection? From what I can see, some people just don''t like him, in which case, just admit it and stop looking for spurious justification why he shouldn''t be there.

andyc24. Of all the musings about Bowketts departure yours I find most convincing. I could understand his reaction if a key part of the framework he (presumably) put in place to secure financial stability of the club was to be dismantled.

I applaud the breaking of the cap if it was one of the main barriers preventing recruitment of sufficiently good players to support AN in the summer and give him the quality of squad he deserves.

Hopefully we will also sort out our recruitment strategy and behave in a professional way during the next window.

[quote user="9Зvintage"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="9Зvintage"]What''s the likelyhood that these three new board members have any footballing acumen? One''s supposedly a marketing person, but what about the other two?I fear this will be an exercise in going round in circles. Lots of fans will be excited and filled with optimism, but suffer that horrid realisation that it''s still Groundhog Day when we wake up in the Championship.[/quote]As far as I know the notions that there are going to be three new directors and that one will have a marketing background are not confirmed. You may be placing too much faith in one particular poster...The official statement talked about directors plural without giving a number, and a new chairman. It could be there are two new directors and the chairman will be either one of those or an existing director.[/quote]With the club tending to be somewhat careful with its cash, then two might be correct. Perhaps it could be the case that Stephen Fry will step down, citing lack of time to fulfil his role properly.[/quote]That is not a consideration. Directors don''t cost anything. The only one who gets a salary is McNally. The rest are unpaid. And that would be unlikely to change, unless we attracted a really heavy-hitting new full-time or semi-full-time chairman. That is possible but then the aim would be that they would more than pay their way with the extra money their expertise brought into the club.

[quote user="andyc24_uk"]The more I sit here and think about this, the more I''m convinced that Bowkett''s exit is about the club wage structure. Bowkett is the one who put the financial management plan in place that got us out of the mess we were in and (presumably) is therefore the person who set the current, many would argue too restrictive, player wage structure.

A lot has been speculated about how our refusal to break that structure may well be responsible for our inability to sign top class players in the summer, and our subsequent problems on the field.

I wonder therefore if the other directors have decided that we have to break Bowkett''s rules which have got us this far financially in an effort to secure January signings, and he decided that he can''t work with a board who won''t follow his recommendations after all he''s achieved on the financial side of the club?

Again this is just guesswork but the pieces do seem to fit together logically given the timing and Neil''s comments about already being in negotiations with transfer targets.[/quote]

Just to play devil''s advocate to your ''guesswork'' andyc, I doubt very much if Mr Bowkett gets a massive bonus dependant on financial performance, although it appears Mr McNally does?!?

Just a thought.

[quote user="Vanwink"]Now now Ray, surely not!!!![/quote]

You''d like to think not wouldn''t you, but I have too much experience of human behaviour, in all its forms, to dismiss anything.

Some shareholders either don''t like Stephen Fry or don''t see the point of Stephen Fry being on our board. The latter I can fully understand because every year when the board face the shareholders Fry isn''t there. So naturally these shareholders ask "what is the point of Fry being on the board". The board answer that there is a point and the club benefit greatly from his presence. The board as a whole are successful and the club are in a good place on and off the pitch. So considering the answers fro the board the question I''m moved to ask is - what is the problem with Stephen Fry being on the board?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Some shareholders either don''t like Stephen Fry or don''t see the point of Stephen Fry being on our board. The latter I can fully understand because every year when the board face the shareholders Fry isn''t there. So naturally these shareholders ask "what is the point of Fry being on the board". The board answer that there is a point and the club benefit greatly from his presence. The board as a whole are successful and the club are in a good place on and off the pitch. So considering the answers fro the board the question I''m moved to ask is - what is the problem with Stephen Fry being on the board?[/quote]Maybe people would like a few more details perhaps?I couldn''t care less either way, but when I tell someone I''m a Norwich City fan, I have never had them say back "Oh isn''t that the club Stephen Fry is a director of?" In fact whenever I present anyone with this fact they look at me blankly.We already have a celebrity figurehead in Delia.I would be interested too to find out what Stephen Fry does for Norwich City.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]Some shareholders either don''t like Stephen Fry or don''t see the point of Stephen Fry being on our board. The latter I can fully understand because every year when the board face the shareholders Fry isn''t there. So naturally these shareholders ask "what is the point of Fry being on the board". The board answer that there is a point and the club benefit greatly from his presence. The board as a whole are successful and the club are in a good place on and off the pitch. So considering the answers fro the board the question I''m moved to ask is - what is the problem with Stephen Fry being on the board?[/quote]Maybe people would like a few more details perhaps?I couldn''t care less either way, but when I tell someone I''m a Norwich City fan, I have never had them say back "Oh isn''t that the club Stephen Fry is a director of?" In fact whenever I present anyone with this fact they look at me blankly.We already have a celebrity figurehead in Delia.I would be interested too to find out what Stephen Fry does for Norwich City.[/quote]

Sweet sod all imo.

Due to questioning at AGMs I''m pretty sure we know more about what Fry does than the other non-executive directors. What does Phillips do for Norwich City?