Sign in to follow this  
nochain09

Alan Bowkett steps down

[quote user="Ray"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Prince of Darkness "]Not sure re chairman but new Director is a marketing expert an area where the club is struggling[/quote]Strange statement Waveney bearing in mind McNally was director of marketing at Celtic.[/quote]

Til,

Would make some sense if DM was to become Chairman[/quote]You don''t get paid a very handsome salary to be chairman.

[quote user="Ray"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Prince of Darkness "]Not sure re chairman but new Director is a marketing expert an area where the club is struggling[/quote]Strange statement Waveney bearing in mind McNally was director of marketing at Celtic.[/quote]

Til,

Would make some sense if DM was to become Chairman[/quote]That would not be a good idea, unless McNally was to stop being CEO.

"It will make sense when you see who the new directors are

I am critical of the Stowmarket 2 but they have done well re thee new board members"

And I suppose these 3 new Board members are behind the re-appointment of Lambert (the Messiah as you call him) are they?!

What utter horsesh*t you spout.

[quote user="ruthers1"]"It will make sense when you see who the new directors are

I am critical of the Stowmarket 2 but they have done well re thee new board members"

And I suppose these 3 new Board members are behind the re-appointment of Lambert (the Messiah as you call him) are they?!

What utter horsesh*t you spout.[/quote]Very good!  [;)]

[quote user="ruthers1"]"It will make sense when you see who the new directors are

What utter horsesh*t you spout.[/quote]

I expect the new board members will have run a successful business.

Biggest issue in any replacement for Bowkett is finding someone of similar standing who ia capable of growing the business, who is also a Norwich fan.  Surely the chairman has to be a Norwich fan......

The first thought I had, rightly or wrongly, was disagreement over managers. I have no idea whether Bowkett and McNally were as one over the Hughton fiasco, the Adams appointment and the risk over AN, but I had wondered whether after Watford attitudes were hardening somewhat. Remember what happened to Adams- a great club man, brief to bring back exciting football, initial promise then some strange decisions tactically and ultimately seen as a failure. Soem similarities perhaps with our current situation. I have no idea really, but I do agree with those who believe that something doesn''t quite add up, especially with the rather dry statement put out.

I was just about to say that David McNally must be a very strong contender if he wants the job as chairman

what I don''t understand would the new chairman have to buy shares or could he just be elected ?

I

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]The first thought I had, rightly or wrongly, was disagreement over managers. I have no idea whether Bowkett and McNally were as one over the Hughton fiasco, the Adams appointment and the risk over AN, but I had wondered whether after Watford attitudes were hardening somewhat. Remember what happened to Adams- a great club man, brief to bring back exciting football, initial promise then some strange decisions tactically and ultimately seen as a failure. Soem similarities perhaps with our current situation. I have no idea really, but I do agree with those who believe that something doesn''t quite add up, especially with the rather dry statement put out.[/quote]

Something''s up that much is sure.

Lets be harsh here, AN''s record as a PREMIER manager is quite poor.

like others have said its all hear say but I hope he didn''t leave us because his hands were being tied and wasn''t allowed to do his job / what he thought was best for the club

he would not or stood for election if he wanted to quit to do other things

[quote user="norfolkngood"]I was just about to say that David McNally must be a very strong contender if he wants the job as chairman

what I don''t understand would the new chairman have to buy shares or could he just be elected ?

I[/quote]McNally has been CEO for more than six years but I doubt he wants to stop just yet, and making him chairman would mean (unless we went against good corporate governance practice) we had to find a replacement for the much more important job of the two. As to the questions, Smith and Jones can pick whoever they want to be chairman, and the other directors, as they did with Bowkett and Stefan Phillips, and later Fry. They were not elected. They were  just announced one day. The new directors (no fewer than three, I notice, according to one poster) don''t have to own shares already but it would be very odd if they then didn''t buy some.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]like others have said its all hear say but I hope he didn''t leave us because his hands were being tied and wasn''t allowed to do his job / what he thought was best for the club

he would not or stood for election if he wanted to quit to do other things
[/quote]It was Fry and Foulger who stood for re-election this year, not Bowkett.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="norfolkngood"]he would not or stood for election if he wanted to quit to do other things[/quote]It was Fry and Foulger who stood for re-election this year, not Bowkett.[/quote]Doh!  You''ve just blown another myth out of the water Ricardo. [;)]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="norfolkngood"]he would not or stood for election if he wanted to quit to do other things[/quote]It was Fry and Foulger who stood for re-election this year, not Bowkett.[/quote]Doh!  You''ve just blown another myth out of the water Ricardo. [;)][/quote]I wasn''t there, but according to the notice of meeting it was Bowkett and Foulger who were standing for re-election.

Indeed it was. I''m pretty sure it was Fry the previous year. He wasn''t there then. And much more fuss was made. Just ask our buddy VOS ;)

Norfolk n good wrote

I was just about to say that David McNally must be a very strong contender if he wants the job as chairman what I don''t understand would the new chairman have to buy shares or could he just be elected ?

The days of the football chairman being the most powerful at a football club are long gone, it used to be that owners would appoint themselves as chairperson. Nowadays it is such big business the CEO runs the business day to day, the Chairman is there to give a sanity check on things like the business plan, overall strategy and to question the board on how well they are doing against such plans. A Chairman can be part time, will almost definitely not be the highest paid on the board. (Cant see that DM is ready to wind down yet, well hope not) Usually they will invest in shares, because by taking up that sort of role they are showing their belief in the business overall.

Don''t be surprised if that the next Chairman isn''t a prominent business person, and maybe not even a City fan (well not anyway!), Sad thing is Bowkett was probably the wealthiest individual on our board, and if he had both the time and inclination could probably have contributed a whole lot more.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="norfolkngood"]he would not or stood for election if he wanted to quit to do other things[/quote]It was Fry and Foulger who stood for re-election this year, not Bowkett.[/quote]Doh!  You''ve just blown another myth out of the water Ricardo. [;)][/quote]I wasn''t there, but according to the notice of meeting it was Bowkett and Foulger who were standing for re-election.[/quote]I apologise profusely, I''ve just looked at my notes from the AGM and it was Bowkett standing for re-election. I got confused with all the furor about Fry.

No. It wasn''t his turn. He stood for re-election in 2014 alongside David MvNally. There were grumbles about both of them from the floor. Fry because there always is as folk don''t like him or don''t see the point of him. McNally because of the discontent about the bonus he received in a relegation season. Fry wasn''t there and in response to the moaning it was said he contributed with his many contacts, his 8m Twitter followers greatly benefitting the club commercially.

I don''t know how much Stephen Fry is worth to us commercially but it seems the Executive Directors think he''s valuable and the period he has been on the board has been one of success in all aspects of the club.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Where was Fry? Did he send his apologies?[/quote]

Apologies are usually recorded in the minutes of the meeting so you might have to wait to see them.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="norfolkngood"]he would not or stood for election if he wanted to quit to do other things[/quote]It was Fry and Foulger who stood for re-election this year, not Bowkett.[/quote]Doh!  You''ve just blown another myth out of the water Ricardo. [;)][/quote]I wasn''t there, but according to the notice of meeting it was Bowkett and Foulger who were standing for re-election.[/quote]I apologise profusely, I''ve just looked at my notes from the AGM and it was Bowkett standing for re-election. I got confused with all the furor about Fry.[/quote]Ricardo, as they say, even Homer sometimes nods!

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Where was Fry? Did he send his apologies?[/quote]

Apologies are usually recorded in the minutes of the meeting so you might have to wait to see them.

[/quote]I mentioned on my Stephen Fry thread a week or so ago that Steve Stone the new finance chap who replaced Sam Gordon gave apologies for absence for Stephen Fry but when questioned by someone from the floor as to where he was the reply was they the club did not know !! But hey ho he was 11.7 million Twitter followers.

[quote user="ruthers1"]

What utter horsesh*t you spout.[/quote]I cannot think of anybody more qualified than you Smudger to make such a statement. [;)]